Finding the right paint solvent

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CREPELLO

Finding the right paint solvent

Post by CREPELLO »

I have this touch up pot of paint for my Mercian. It's survived about 8 years without going off (the lady at Mercian said it would go off within a year!), but it's getting a little thick, so I'd like to thin it down a bit to extend it's shelf life. If I say that the paint has a pear drops smell about it, which paint thinner should I buy? I recall nail varnish smelling the same, but do Boots sell pots of NV thinner for the lady with a large collection? :P
meic

Re: Finding the right paint solvent

Post by meic »

It looks like Superdrug might. Though the word "formula" in the middle is suspicious.
https://www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Sup ... l/p/219149

Or buy it in bulk
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PURE-ACETONE- ... 0999384120
Yma o Hyd
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

That's the stuff Meic, thanks. I'll go and have a closer look (or careful sniff?) of the superdrug bottle.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

meic wrote:It looks like Superdrug might. Though the word "formula" in the middle is suspicious.

It is suspicious: under the "Questions" tab, someone asked what percentage of acetone it contains to which the reply was, "We can't disclose this information". This is simply not good enough when other brands clearly state "Pure (or 100%) Acetone" on the label.
The pure stuff is just as cheap and widely available as Superdrug's - I got some "Classic"-branded Artificial Nail and Tip Remover from one of the local Bargain/Pound stores for £1.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the paint originally smelt of pear drops the chances are excellent that it was originally thinned with amyl acetate. Whether acetone will be a good substitute is open to question. I think acetone will evaporate more quickly. You might want to try cellulose paint thinner instead.

Whichever solvent you use, it is worth winding a few turns of insulation tape around the cap of the bottle; this will slow evaporation from the bottle even if the seal is imperfect.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Brucey wrote:if the paint originally smelt of pear drops the chances are excellent that it was originally thinned with amyl acetate. Whether acetone will be a good substitute is open to question. I think acetone will evaporate more quickly. You might want to try cellulose paint thinner instead.

Good point there, thanks. On a side, I once left some blue brush cleaner, with brush, standing in an open bottle for a good year or so. It refused to evaporate, which I thought bizarre. It did eventually evaporate, but what could be going on there I wonder?

Whichever solvent you use, it is worth winding a few turns of insulation tape around the cap of the bottle; this will slow evaporation from the bottle even if the seal is imperfect.
Of course - makes sense, particularly with precious pots of paint.