Sending bike to Australia - include leather saddle?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LollyKat

Sending bike to Australia - include leather saddle?

Post by LollyKat »

We're packing up our son's bike to send to Australia, where he has settled. We've been cleaning it meticulously and won't be including the tyres, but are wondering about his B17N saddle, as it's not new and shows signs of use, e.g. scuffing where he's leant the bike against a wall.

Does anyone have experience of importing their bike into Oz?
matt1960

Re: Sending bike to Australia - include leather saddle?

Post by matt1960 »

I emigrated to Australia in 2010 and returned in 2014. I took seven bikes both ways, including leather saddles. Look, they are ridiculously petty, but not that petty, methinks. That said, try taking an apple in! No, seriously, don't!!!
They inspected my cargo, including bikes and had no problems. They may spray it if you are sending it in a crate. Try 'seven seas', (on internet) they are cheap and reliable for sending items. Takes 12 weeks approx door to door.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I have flown into Oz with my bike 4 times. Never questioned about my Brooks.

I was always questioned about the bike, but they never looked in the sealed box. I made a point of saying "new tyres, never ridden off road" and "bike washed in mild disinfectant". If you need to complete a declaration, the last phrase may be useful.

I was once picked up on my dirty panniers, but got away with it.

.......and of course they never asked about my leather shoes last time I flew in.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Thanks for the info. We hadn't thought about using disinfectant - my husband won't be very pleased about undoing all the wrapping he's put round the tubes but it sounds as if it would be worth doing, if only to give a convincing smell if they open the box. It will be going by courier so the owner won't be around to answer any questions. I'll check with the company to see if they also have any more advice / recommendations.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wouldn't worry too much. The worst that will happen is that they disinfect and charge you a few AU$'s.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

I thought it was only untreated animal skins that were of concern.
As someone else has said, leather shoes don't seem to be a problem.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

We shipped a golf bag plus clubs with leather grips to Mackay in N.queensland no problem. We used transworld global though was about 8-9 years ago
http://www.twglobal.co.uk/
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

simonhill wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. The worst that will happen is that they disinfect and charge you a few AU$'s.

Hm, I have seen AU$150 quoted for disinfecting....hope that's wrong!

bogmyrtle wrote:I thought it was only untreated animal skins that were of concern.
As someone else has said, leather shoes don't seem to be a problem.

I know, but the saddle has seen quite hard usage, and a jobsworth might possibly think that the underside had suffered some termite damage.

But thanks, everyone, for the reassurance.