27.5 inch or29 inch?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
matt1960

27.5 inch or29 inch?

Post by matt1960 »

Easy question, I'm sure, but I don't know the answer....
A small group of us are embarking on a longish (8-10 weeks) bike ride where the terrain will be very mountainous and there will be lots of potholes to look out for.
Question is two fold.
Q1 Is a 29" wheel going to make ascending more difficult? I failed my GCE Physics, but surely it's harder to ride a bigger wheel uphill?
Q2 Is a 29" wheel likely to be stronger or weaker as opposed to a smaller wheel when I do hit a pothole?
Appreciate any comments.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: 27.5 inch or29 inch?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Or is that 559 or 622?
Most important is that I would of thought is quality of build and 36 hole rims along with a less wheel dish as you can get?
Ease of fixing / replacing the rear wheel depending what country you are in?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Tricky one.

A bigger wheel will more than likely be slightly heavier but on an uneven surface the bigger wheel will roll more easily up any slight steps over rocks, roots etc. Similarly smaller wheels tend to drop down holes more, I notice that on my 20" bike - a Circe tandem - when riding on poor roads or off road even though that is mostly compensated for by wider tyres at lower pressure.

27.5" (584) wheels should be a little stronger than 29" (622) all other things being equal.

Where you are going could be a factor as to availability, or otherwise of spares. 26" (559) may even be worth considering in some parts as they may not have the newer wheel sizes, 27.5" probably slightly less likely to be found than 29".
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

matt1960 wrote:Easy question, I'm sure, but I don't know the answer....
A small group of us are embarking on a longish (8-10 weeks) bike ride where the terrain will be very mountainous and there will be lots of potholes to look out for.
Question is two fold.
Q1 Is a 29" wheel going to make ascending more difficult? I failed my GCE Physics, but surely it's harder to ride a bigger wheel uphill?
Q2 Is a 29" wheel likely to be stronger or weaker as opposed to a smaller wheel when I do hit a pothole?
Appreciate any comments.

the bigger wheel will (all things being equal) be faster and less strong.

Depending on where you go exactly, you might be better off on 26" wheels in that they are stronger and spare parts may be more readily available locally.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~