Bike Transfer Way of the Roses

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PJ520

Re: Bike Transfer Way of the Roses

Post by PJ520 »

thirdcrank wrote:
keyboardmonkey wrote: ... We don't know that the OP couldn't find someone who could take them to Morecambe. The OP asked if anyone on this forum could recommend a taxi company. There is a difference. ...

True, of course, but should we apply best exam technique - read the question properly then answer the question not something else - to a query like this? As it is, nobody has posted with a recommendation for a suitable taxi company. Would it have been better if the thread had slipped away unanswered? My own feeling is that at the very least, attempts to be helpful are more welcoming than radio silence, especially to a forum newcomer and by keeping the thread up the agenda for a few days may make it more likely to be seen by somebody with the correct answer. Also, others looking for info in future may find something of interest.
Good point crank. However In these days of Uber and Lyft I suspect taxi companies are prepared to be more flexible and creative. The OP could just try calling a few in Hull to see what they can offer. Mind you that dedicated service looks primo.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

from what I've just typed in based on a journey from Hull to Lancaster (next door to morcambe) a very advanced single comes in at £14.00 for a specific train with limited reservations that far ahead and one change at manchester.

a four hour journey too which is not bad, it's the airport train so plenty of them. fares go up to £52 though. at that price even if they staggered on two trains it's worth it.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

crazydave789 wrote:from what I've just typed in based on a journey from Hull to Lancaster (next door to morcambe) a very advanced single comes in at £14.00 for a specific train with limited reservations that far ahead and one change at Manchester.............

By 'eck Dave - that's a good price!
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

JohnW wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:from what I've just typed in based on a journey from Hull to Lancaster (next door to morcambe) a very advanced single comes in at £14.00 for a specific train with limited reservations that far ahead and one change at Manchester.............

obscene - I just opened the cross country trains site and booked as far forward as I could, in this case 3rd jan 2018 IIRC 14 quid with one change, 32 with 2 changes or 52 standard fare I think it was 2 changes.

morcambe didn't come up as a choice but I know there's stations there so a shuttle probably runs from lancaster then up to barrow.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

crazydave789 wrote:
JohnW wrote:

obscene - I just opened the cross country trains site and booked as far forward as I could, in this case 3rd jan 2018 IIRC 14 quid with one change, 32 with 2 changes or 52 standard fare I think it was 2 changes.

morcambe didn't come up as a choice but I know there's stations there so a shuttle probably runs from lancaster then up to barrow.

Unless there is a train waiting at Lancaster for Morecambe it is a very straightforward completely flat 20min cycle.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

geocycle wrote:................Unless there is a train waiting at Lancaster for Morecambe it is a very straightforward completely flat 20min cycle.

And there's a virtually traffic free cycle route - the only confusing bit is at the very end, at Morecambe promenade.