Opinel knives

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Heltor Chasca

Opinel knives

Post by Heltor Chasca »

meic wrote:
The No. 8 is my favourite.

Yet it is 3.8mm above the legal limit to be carried around, unless you were to blunt off the tip, which probably isnt a bad idea anyway.

True. The fact it also has a locking collar makes it illegal, but this can be taken off easily. However if you have a reasonable cause for carrying this knife (say you are a gardener) you are ok within reason. I still take my tool belt off before entering shops or school.

The other thing you can do to bring it to a legal length, without taking the tip off (which is useful in horticulture) is to grind off a small amount of metal where the blade meets the handle. This could be called a choil. I have fashioned one into one of my Svord Peasants and it fits my finger tip perfectly making it very comfortable.

By law, the length is the total of the cutting edge and the part that gets measured. So curved knives could actually be longer than the law allows. People mistakingly think it is the length from the tip to the handle.
nirakaro

Re: Opinel knives

Post by nirakaro »

Brucey wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Not a fan of S/S knife blades. So much softer than carbon steel....

depends which stainless steel and which carbon steel though, doesn't it....
cheers

Depends also on what it's being used for. As a woodworker, I was always very sniffy about stainless steel knives, until someone explained that woodworking tools get blunted by physical impacts, for which carbon steels are generally better, while kitchen knives suffer more from corrosive chemicals - mostly acids. It's usually physical impacts with my - carbon - Opinels.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

nirakaro wrote:
Brucey wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Not a fan of S/S knife blades. So much softer than carbon steel....

depends which stainless steel and which carbon steel though, doesn't it....
cheers

Depends also on what it's being used for. As a woodworker, I was always very sniffy about stainless steel knives, until someone explained that woodworking tools get blunted by physical impacts, for which carbon steels are generally better, while kitchen knives suffer more from corrosive chemicals - mostly acids. It's usually physical impacts with my - carbon - Opinels.

Stainless Steels that are relatively hard and can keep an edge also tend to considerably more brittle, by hardness, than carbon steel.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Opinels usually get loose with time unless they get wet. Tapping is standard. Anything hard works. I use my wedding ring.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nirakaro wrote:I really like them, and usually pick up a new one each time I go to France, and I've now got seven or eight in various sizes. As well as taking them on picnics and camping trips, I use them as steak knives at home - an affectation I learned from a restaurant in Provence. They hold a lovely edge.
But they have a tendency to stiffen up, to the point of being very hard to open, and quite scary to close; I imagine it's the wood swelling up and gripping the blade too tight. Anyone know if there's a cure for this?

Olive oil on the hinge pivot :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Not a fan of S/S knife blades. So much softer than carbon steel.
I have my father-in laws carbon steel pen knife he was issued at Silverwood Pit, it's over 60 years old and holds an edge very well.

In a word, Vitorinox :wink:
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Not a fan of S/S knife blades. So much softer than carbon steel.
I have my father-in laws carbon steel pen knife he was issued at Silverwood Pit, it's over 60 years old and holds an edge very well.

my pedantic side says wants to know if you didn't mean 'Victorinox'...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I didn't .. I ment NCB carbon steel penknife with one flat ended cutting blade and a marlin spike .... made in Sheffield .... Non of that gurly Victoria stuff .. STEEL !! :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

my pedantic side says wants to know if you didn't mean 'Victorinox'...?

cheers

I did but was a 'c' short,low tide... :wink:
W H Auden
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Sounds like some people just don't maintain their blades! Even SS needs cleaning occasionally if actually carried and used (allow 'stuff' to build up on the SS and it will stop being stainless underneath). If using your Opinel for food (I do) simply use a good food oil to wipe down the nice sharp carbon-steel blade, e.g. olive oil as R2 says or walnut oil (which I prefer).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Back to the original question.

I got my Opinel back in the 1960s. I remember then being told how to get the blade out. I suspect this was by someone French as I used to go there regularly and these knives were virtually unknown in England.

The method is the same as the Opinel website suggestion posted above. Hold the knife by the ferrule with opening down. Tap the far corner sharply on something solid. This will force enough of the blade out to be able to pull it all out. Job done.
meic

Post by meic »

AlaninWales wrote:
Sounds like some people just don't maintain their blades!
Even SS needs cleaning occasionally if actually carried and used (allow 'stuff' to build up on the SS and it will stop being stainless underneath). If using your Opinel for food (I do) simply use a good food oil to wipe down the nice sharp carbon-steel blade, e.g. olive oil as R2 says or walnut oil (which I prefer).

Too right, I buy a knife to serve me, not for me to serve it.

I have some nice cheap serrated S/S kitchen devils that have been used as my household cooking prepping and eating knives for decades with NO care required, apart from being washed with all the other dishes.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:
Sounds like some people just don't maintain their blades!
Even SS needs cleaning occasionally if actually carried and used (allow 'stuff' to build up on the SS and it will stop being stainless underneath). If using your Opinel for food (I do) simply use a good food oil to wipe down the nice sharp carbon-steel blade, e.g. olive oil as R2 says or walnut oil (which I prefer).

Too right, I buy a knife to serve me, not for me to serve it.

I have some nice cheap serrated S/S kitchen devils that have been used as my household cooking prepping and eating knives for decades with NO care required, apart from being washed with all the other dishes.

Exactly,an occasional sharpen for ours and a hot wash is all that's needed.
My Victorinox(got it right :) )knives are washed under a hot tap and hinge lubed with olive oil.
I sharpen them with medium 4000 grit diamond stone which gives a good enough edge fipor their purpose.
If we want to talk sharp then talk Japanese Oire Nomi chisels and 10,000 grit waterstones,the finest edge of any hand tool I've ever used and they hold it
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is worth mentioning that the cutting edge of knives and chisels etc varies somewhat and with it the cutting action. In extremis knife edges may be obviously serrated and have almost a sawing action into the work. However sharpening on coarser stones gives a very slightly serrated edge and this will give a slight sawing action at a microscopic level. The included angle of the blade edge makes a difference too.

Some steels hold an edge better than others; exactly why is complicated, as complicated as the metallurgy of the steel in the blade, i.e. potentially 'very'.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

That microscopic serration is called a 'fence'. Your cute fact of the day. I like funny words.