Kinesis Aeithien vs Planet x Galibier

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dazzlin

Kinesis Aeithien vs Planet x Galibier

Post by Dazzlin »

Hi,
Think I posted in wrong place on forum
Does anyone know what the Kinesis aeithein is like as a general road bike, I have spoken to some dealers who say un-comfortable after 3 hrs on the saddle others say great-light-responsive and fast climbing hills.
I am not a fan of carbon frames and the life of them x ££'s, so my option is to stay with what I trust.
My other option is Planet x Galibier ,similar but a cheaper build.
Any help would be great before parting with some cash.
Thanks
whoof

Re: Kinesis Aeithien vs Planet x Galibier

Post by whoof »

I haven't ridden a Aeithen but I do have an aluminium Kinesis T2 Racelight and I find it comfortable over long distances. This year I've ridden 200 km audaxes and toured Devon and Cornwall on it. This is of course a personal thing and depends on a number of factors.

BTW if you have an aversion to carbon fibre where you aware that the both you bike you have considered have carbon fibre forks?
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

I have just built up the Kinesis T3 Racelight frame, truly outstanding bike in everywhere. Rides, handles and climbs like a frame that should have cost a lot more, couldn't more happier with it to be quite honest. And I have a stable of custom made steel bikes, carbon framed bikes and aluminium bikes from which to compare it against.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
PH

Post by PH »

Dazzlin wrote:Hi,
Think I posted in wrong place on forum
Does anyone know what the Kinesis aeithein is like as a general road bike, I have spoken to some dealers who say un-comfortable after 3 hrs on the saddle others say great-light-responsive and fast climbing hills.
I am not a fan of carbon frames and the life of them x ££'s, so my option is to stay with what I trust.
My other option is Planet x Galibier ,similar but a cheaper build.
Any help would be great before parting with some cash.
Thanks

The Kenisis is described by them as
" a fast paced British designed and tested racing machine."
Are you racing? In which case speed is going to be of more importance than comfort. Or do you want it for something else? In which case it's probably the wrong bike. The PX alternative seems to be in the same category.
I've had a Racelight and like whoof did plenty of long rides on it, you'd be at a slight disadvantage in a race, but if comfort is a concern it's probably a better choice.
Dazzlin

Post by Dazzlin »

Thanks for the info, yes I'm aware both have carbon forks, my existing bike has them, the reason is in my Saturday / sunday ride out groups I've seen very expensive carbon frames Break!!! One bottom bracket fell out the bottom another the forks gave way, a famous Italian brand rear brake seized in the frame now needs a replacement frame as they are saying it is because the cycle was ridden in the rain, it was just out of warranty ! when the brake was cut out they found no carbon paste on the brake to stop the reaction between metal/carbon, more reason for staying metal frames. I am a keen hill rider so also looking at something to help climb better. Probably go Planet X Galibier as it is a Pro carbon made of aluminium.