Shared path guidance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
UAVDave

Re: Shared path guidance

Post by UAVDave »

I use shared access paths a lot - in particular the Wirral Way. I find most walkers react fine to single ping of the bell combined with slowing down a little. Most pedestrians correctly perceive it as simply a statement "I am here". I always thank people for taking approriate action to help us both - staying or moving to one side of the path. One couple recently actually thanked me for using the bell - part of the observation that pedestrians sometimes find bikes a bit scary - so showing you are taking the safety seriously pleases them.

OK, a few pedestrians are just plain miserable so-and-so's - nothing will help in that situation - we just have to live with it.

And Mums with groups of kids? Yeap - I get this problem too. It happened today for example. I was approaching them from behind, checked my speed down to a little above walking pace and gave my usual single ping. Nothing, they just carried on walking, talking and occupying the hold path - no way through. I pinged again. Still no response - they were to busy talking and the kids were running everywhere under no kind of control. In desperation gave several rapid pings - no joy. I ended up having to stop just short of one of the kids - that drew a stare of daggers from one of the Mums - who had finally broken off her conversation to pay at least some attention to what was going on. A gap appeared - no one actually said anything to me but it was pretty obvious from the looks and body language that the general concensus was all this was my fault. I was obviously a danger on the path and was acting most irresponsibly. Ah well - not much I can do about that. I know I was being safe. I know I didn't subject anyone to risk. I was at least paying attention to what was going on. In future I'll simply carry on doing the same - I can't see any viable alternative.

Dave
Knowledge is being aware that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them into a fruit salad.
Cyclingkip

Re: Shared path guidance

Post by Cyclingkip »

UAVDave wrote:Ah well - not much I can do about that. I know I was being safe. I know I didn't subject anyone to risk. I was at least paying attention to what was going on. In future I'll simply carry on doing the same - I can't see any viable alternative.

Thank you this was very helpful, I guess it's something I need to live with and just take her abuse everyday. I tried cycling on the right now I recognise them but they didn't move over both times and I had to pretty much stop very close to the kerb.

I don't see the issue with them moving over you can fit about 5 adults walking side by side it's that wide!

And thank you everyone for your advice and experience