Newbie turbo trainer advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hamster

Re: Newbie turbo trainer advice

Post by hamster »

belgiangoth wrote:Unless you can set up the turbo in front of the tv I’d save more money and buy a set of mudguards - keeps me cycling through the winter.

Quite! A couple of evenings staring at the garage wall was enough to make me sell the thing and do long off-road rides at night in the winter instead. For me getting cold, wet and muddy was infinitely better than being bored out of my skull.

But I am lucky with a fabulous place to ride on my doorstep.

I'd suggest buying a basic one and decide if you can bear it.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Unsure about the Aldi one, but I'd say the Halfords one doesn't look anything special for the price. I got a magnetic one from Machine Mart a couple of years ago - about £60 IIRC, and rate it very highly. You need some (preferably fast rock) music to keep you going though!
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

I purchased an Elite Magnetic turbo 20-years ago, the most use it has is when lent to cycling friends with broken collar bones! I think for that scenario they are perfect. Personally I find turbo training to be unbelievably tedious and joyless as time passes soooooo slowly and saddle comfort is not great as the bike is static. I have also seen some horrendous corrosion to bikes used on turbo's. Like others I carry on road cycling and when it is icy underfoot go walking instead.