What's it like carrying a Deliveroo box?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

What's it like carrying a Deliveroo box?

Post by horizon »

I'm not intending to do it, but I often wonder what it's like to cycle with a Deliveroo box on your back - they look so unwieldy. I feel very sorry for the riders but this may be misplaced. I'm also a bit baffled as to why they don't put the box on the bike (obviously I can see some issues).

Any experience of this?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
old_windbag

Re: What's it like carrying a Deliveroo box?

Post by old_windbag »

I've often wondered this too. It's the last place I'd want to strap a large cube shaped object with load inside and subject to cross winds. Just doesn't seem sensible. As you say there may be reasons for doing so but I'd have thought placing on the bike or trailer, but vibration may be issue with takeaways. But what do they deliver is it just pizza's and curries? Don't have them around here, thank god, too many fast food fatties to start with. Hungry house adverts paint a good picture of gorging to excess..... just tap the app.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's not just pizzas and curries; they deliver Chinese, Italian, fish and chips, Michelin starred meals... Well maybe not the last, but anything a local resto will make. :wink:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I think I'd be tempted to put the box on the bike too, but then you've got the problem of getting the food in to the customer's home.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

This image seems to show a different setup. An electric bike with a rack top box....... next it'll be a honda cub with a top box :) , then a clapped out peugeot 405.

iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I suspect the box is because Deliveroo don't own any bicycles. You turn with whatever bike you've got and they give you whatever you can strap onto your bike or back.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
whoof

Post by whoof »

I think the reason for carrying on your back is two fold. The first as stated above, you can use any bike. The second is the same reason people carry laptops in bags on their backs rather than in a pannier or even worse on top on the rack; battering (not a coating for cod) and vibration may result in the food looking like someone else has been chewing it by the time it's delivered.

As to how it affects handling, it appears to make some of the riders bullet proof having recently had a Deliveroo rider undertake me close and at speed, go through a red traffic light and mount the pavement before re-joining the road almost colliding with a car.
PH

Post by PH »

Riders get a choice of a rucksack or a rack box. So the question is one for them rather than the company, one consideration is that it'll have to be carried a bit off the bike, both at collection and delivery, the rucksack would be easier then.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I’ve seen a couple of riders on fixed wheels delivering in Plymouth. If you don’t know Plymouth it’s quite hilly :shock:
Beauty will save the world.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Bmblbzzz wrote:It's not just pizzas and curries; they deliver Michelin starred meals...

An extravagant way of describing a meal from the Golden Arches?? :lol: I live above a food place that is on Deliveroo and see riders sat outside waiting for a delivery and keep meaning to ask them if I can try their box for size but when I get home I want to get home and changed etc. I've considered signing up and just doing deliveries from the place below my flat just for some pocket money.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I’ve seen a couple of riders on fixed wheels delivering in Plymouth. If you don’t know Plymouth it’s quite hilly :shock:
I've seen them too. :shock:
Puzzles me why they use fixed or even SS.

I was cycling in Plymouth only yesterday, and it is possible not to climb many hills as the city centre is fairly flat-ish, though if I were to go out into the outer-city housing areas, the hills would come thick and fast. Ford Hill and Mount Gould for instance, not to mention going over the Tamerton Foliot.
Mick F. Cornwall