Railway stations; electronic barriers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Re: Railway stations; electronic barriers

Post by mercalia »

ok so getting off at the "wrong" station with an advanced ticket is nogo what about getting ON at a different station down the line from the one?Eg Advanced ticket London Victoria to Brighton but get on at Clapham Junction?
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mercalia wrote:ok so getting off at the "wrong" station with an advanced ticket is nogo what about getting ON at a different station down the line from the one?Eg Advanced ticket London Victoria to Brighton but get on at Clapham Junction?

You'd be committing a contractual offence, as you wouldn't be travelling between the stations you're contractually obliged to travel between. I wouldn't do it if there are electronic barriers, aside from which you're possibly more likely to be detected (Due to the trains being shorter).

Section 16, paragraph 2 is the only one of significance;

"If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at an intermediate station when you are not entitled to do so, you will be liable to pay an excess fare. This excess fare will be the difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold and the price of the lowest priced ticket(s) available at a ticket office for immediate travel that would have entitled you to start, break and resume, or end your journey at that station on the service(s) you have used".

It would appear that Penalty Fares and/or prosecution would appear unlikely, while criminal charges would not apply.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Sweep wrote:If you want to talk barmy/bonkers, look at the price of some of those things. Prices to make foreigners think they have entered a parallel universe. I could if i was mad enough pay over £200 for a journey i often make.

I should stress that I don't defend the more ridiculuous fares at all.

I should stress that I am not in favour of fare dodging, as in pretending to have started your journey at a station you haven't Making a shorter journey than you have actually legitimately paid for doesn't strike me as fare dodging, just sticking two fingers to the marketing wonks.

I see both sides of this. On the one hand you are just using part of the service permitted by the ticket you purchased which seems entirely reasonable. On the other you are contravening the conditions of that ticket you purchased in order to avoid paying a higher fare and thus are depriving the company of the revenue it would have recived if you had paid the correct fare. I am all for thoroughly overhauling the system, but do not condone people breaking the current rules. This is primarily because I think it it is unfair on the passengers who abide by them.
yann

Post by yann »

Edinburgh still has gates for trains starting/leaving westbound(or at least did 3 weeks ago). There have never been gates for through trains, or trains to North Berwick or Tweedbank