Frame bag recommendations for commuting

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
david7591

Frame bag recommendations for commuting

Post by david7591 »

Hi All.

I have a small saddle bag which is getting a bit frayed around the edges, but still serviceable. Anyway, I’m thinking of replacing with a small frame bag, in order to free the seat post for fitting lights, instead of having them hanging from the saddle bag. A bit of googling has revealed ‘triangular’ bags. There seems to be two variants. One that fits between top tube and seat tube, and the other that fits between top tube and down tube. Any thoughts on the relative advantages/disadvantages of each? And how they compare with the more usual saddle bag?

I was wondering whether the top/down tube may be slightly more stable as the bag may be to some extent supported by the down tube, whereas the seat tube variant hangs more, but I might be completely wrong. Essentially I’m looking for something, that is unobtrusive in use to carry a multi tool, spare tubes, tyre leavers, and perhaps a sandwich. If I need to carry more than that I’ll use a pannier.
mjr

Re: Frame bag recommendations for commuting

Post by mjr »

I got one but I don't use it much because it's pretty thin, annoying to fit and remove and its straps scuff the paint.

I'd continue with the saddlebag and fit the light to the rack or stay, personally.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Get a light that attaches to a loop on the saddlebag. I got a topeak saddlebag with such a loop. I got a clothes hook mounting with last year's Aldi performance rear light. This year's Aldi light set has a good rear light that fits this mount. Works great with a rack mounted cateye X2. I use the spacerx to fix onto the rack.

All in all I'd prefer this to a frame bag I have one, a custom made one for touring purposes only, it's not a good bag option IMHO. There are plenty of other methods to allow lights to be used when the seat post is full of seat pack.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

This is the one I have on my Mountain bike / Fat bike.
You said you want something for a sandwich. Well, this is the same shape as the sandwiches you buy in a supermarket.
It has compartments on both sides. Easily on and off-able. really cheap.
It doesn't get in the way while pedalling unless you over fill it.
I find it really good. in fact I've just bought another one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Bags- ... 2749.l2649

I also like this one but it's more expensive and bulkier :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/blackburn-outpo ... 9902&pauid
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

david7591 wrote:
I was wondering whether the top/down tube ...... to carry a multi tool, spare tubes, tyre levers, and perhaps a sandwich. If I need to carry more than that I’ll use a pannier.

I bought a top/down tube frame bag in 2015, to carry tools, spare tubes and food for fast day rides on a light weight bike.

I've used it once or twice in two years and effectively found it's hopeless. Interferes with gear and brake cables, fiddle to fit, bulges out and is a nuisance when packed and I suspect nowhere near as durable as a saddlebag, such as one of Top Peaks.

I've kept it, "believing" that it should be great, but in reality I always end up taking a heavier bike, c/w pannier on a longer day run. I'd opt for a decent sized saddle bag and fit the light to another point on the bike (Nb. I'll probably look for a larger saddlebag for next year, if I can one that'll fit on the existing mountings)
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Thanks for comment folks. I’ve abandoned the frame bag idea. I’ve fixed light to bike rack with a flasher fixed to saddle bag. Should keep me seen from the rear.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

mjr wrote:I got one but I don't use it much because it's pretty thin, annoying to fit and remove and its straps scuff the paint.

This. For commuting I want easy on, easy off. I use a Carradice bag (almost always a Nelson), with a QR Bagman support. Getting it on and off the bike in the shed takes a second.