Rain in the eyes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Rain in the eyes

Postby Mick F » 24 Mar 2008, 2:23pm

Out for a wet one today, or should I say a cold and wet one!

On some of the fast downhill stretches I could hardly see where I was going, the rain hit my eyes, stung and blurred my vision considerably. I've always just put up with this problem, but with 'modern technology' perhaps there's a solution.

Does eye-wear help in the rain?
Mick F. Cornwall

Tim Cox

Postby Tim Cox » 24 Mar 2008, 3:00pm

This is something I have experienced myself over recent months. I wondered if it was due to road spray or simply that the rain itself had become more acidic. My doctor could not give an explanation either. Now I carry a pair of swimming goggles with me if there is any likelihood of heavy rain though as yet I have to test their effectiveness.

wellingtonrock

Postby wellingtonrock » 24 Mar 2008, 3:35pm

As a spectacle wearer I find seeing where I'm going in the rain is always a problem. As I ride a recumbent most of the time it can be even worse, as it's nearly impossible to tuck your chin in and let the brim of your helmet/hat take the brunt of it. I'm now working on a try at a solution to it. I call it the 'Recumbent Super-Visor'. I've press moulded a couple from PETG, and my latest seems fairly effective at keeping my glasses clear enough to see through. It's essentially a kind of 'tented' space with the line of sight just under the lower rim. My face sits under/behind/inside it. The recumbent specific part is the angle moulded into it at which it fixes to my helmet, so I think it could be adapted quite easily to any but the most diehard roadie riding style.

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 24 Mar 2008, 5:56pm

Rain on the eye wear can blur your vision more than a bit - take it from a 4eyes!
In addition, when the weather is cool enough the rain can tip the balance just enough so that my breath can condense on the lenses unless I keep my head tipped back at an uncomfortable angle.
A long peaked cap seems to be as much help to me as anything else. If you dont need lenses it might just do the job on its own.
Blows off on descents mind!

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 24 Mar 2008, 6:10pm

Do you use mudguards?

They ruin the look of a bike but are practical in bad weather.

grim

Postby grim » 24 Mar 2008, 6:34pm

I wore glasses for years and hated them when cycling in the rain. Ususally taking them off. About 10 years ago I had them lasered no longer needing glasses. I nearly always wear cycling type glasses on the bike now including in the rain. I find the draught makes them sore and me feel tired.

Colin Stanley

Postby Colin Stanley » 25 Mar 2008, 8:52am

Mick,
If I have to ride when it's raining, I wear contacts - 1 day Acuvue.
However, I normally wear varifocal specs, as they afford better all round vision than contacts.
With the contacts, one eye does the long distance, and the other the short. At the same time, I also wear an old pair of specs without the lenses so I can use my third eye rear view mirror.
The other Sunday we were out on the tandem in the rain and high winds, and I forgot to wear the contacts. Well, no one's perfect. Had to look over the tops of the frames to see anything, it was that bad.

groveller

Postby groveller » 25 Mar 2008, 9:18am

Has anyone tried RAIN X on specs? It works well on car windscreens. I sometimes wear clear interchangeable lens in a sunglasses frame, mainly to stop dust etc. I might give them a coat of Rain X and see if it works. The trouble is it means riding in the rain, which I try to avoid.

grim

Postby grim » 25 Mar 2008, 9:52am

groveller wrote:Has anyone tried RAIN X on specs? It works well on car windscreens. I sometimes wear clear interchangeable lens in a sunglasses frame, mainly to stop dust etc. I might give them a coat of Rain X and see if it works. The trouble is it means riding in the rain, which I try to avoid.

Rain x is fantastic on glass but terrible on plastic which I found out riding my motorcycle in sleet. It seems to smear.

Bodie

Postby Bodie » 25 Mar 2008, 9:56am

DaveP wrote:A long peaked cap seems to be as much help to me as anything else. If you dont need lenses it might just do the job on its own.
Blows off on descents mind!

Without dragging the helmet thread up again, most helmets come with a detatchable peak....I always wear one and if it looks like rain then I try and remember to put it in my pocket....having said that I do try and avoid riding in the rain, it takes all the fun out of it for me.

PW

Postby PW » 25 Mar 2008, 10:11pm

Baseball cap with a long peak, or a Polartec hiking hat with peak, fleece lining & earflaps in winter.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

Paul R

Postby Paul R » 25 Mar 2008, 10:21pm

Gotta agree, either baseball cap with peak or helmet with peak helps a lot especially at higher speeds as the water is thrown off the front wheel tangentialy and you then move into it as it decelerates. This assumes that water thrown up earlier in the revolution is intercepted by either your downtube or your mudguard.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 26 Mar 2008, 6:39am

Thanks guys.

I use mudguards and I don't have a peak on my helmet. I've ordered some multi-lens glasses, so I must have a go with them in the rain, though having used sunglasses and been caught out in a shower, I'm not hopeful. RainX sounds like a good idea though.

How people get on that need glasses to see, I don't know! I only need reading glasses, so I want my eyes to get worse, and I'm straight down the laser ward!

Do you think there's something in this "acid" rain? It never bothered me as much as it did the other day. Maybe it was "the wrong sort of rain".
Mick F. Cornwall

noonoosdad

Postby noonoosdad » 26 Mar 2008, 7:49am

:D I always eye protection in all conditions. Find it keeps the flies and wind out of the eyes and in particular keeps the rain out too.
Bought two pairs from from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Safety-One and found them very reasonably priced. The problem nowadays is when it rains the precipitation contains all the c**p from the atmosphere and one shouldn't really getting this muck into your eyes.
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"

ianr1950

Postby ianr1950 » 26 Mar 2008, 2:43pm

I have used varifocal inserts with wrap around sports glasses for over 6 years now and find them no problem to wear in all weathers.
I also always wear a peaked cycling cap under my helmet and find that helps a lot especially when the sun is low.