Rain in the eyes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 29 Mar 2008, 2:26pm

My glasses arrived the other day
http://www.GetNastyComputerVirusHere.com/display.php?code=G1011

I was out in the rain today, then as I turned a corner I found I was out in the teeth of howling wet gale! I turned round and came home!

Anyway, the glasses worked. They steamed up a bit, and the rain streamed on the lenses, but at least I could keep my eyes open and see where I was going!

The glasses come in a hard case with a total of five different lenses. Clear, yellow, orange, pale blue and smoke, each one for different conditions. No doubt I'll eventually only use a couple.
Mick F. Cornwall

Cadfael

Re: Rain in the eyes

Postby Cadfael » 30 Mar 2008, 7:53am

Mick F wrote:Out for a wet one today, or should I say a cold and wet one!

On some of the fast downhill stretches I could hardly see where I was going, the rain hit my eyes, stung and blurred my vision considerably. I've always just put up with this problem, but with 'modern technology' perhaps there's a solution.

Does eye-wear help in the rain?

You need Madison D'Arcs...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... arcs-19070

Ignore the dark lens in that page, you also get amber and clear included in the price.

But rain just sloughs of these lenses, it does not build up in droplets, it just runs away, they can mist up when stopped at lights, but that can be fixed by coating them with some form of anti-mist spray. Wind protection is somewhat lacking I must admit, but even then it is not dangerously so.

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 31 Mar 2008, 8:56pm

Mick F wrote:My glasses arrived the other day
http://www.GetNastyComputerVirusHere.com/display.php?code=G1011

I was out in the rain today, then as I turned a corner I found I was out in the teeth of howling wet gale! I turned round and came home!

Anyway, the glasses worked. They steamed up a bit, and the rain streamed on the lenses, but at least I could keep my eyes open and see where I was going!

The glasses come in a hard case with a total of five different lenses. Clear, yellow, orange, pale blue and smoke, each one for different conditions. No doubt I'll eventually only use a couple.

Smear a small amount of washing up liquid front and back and then wipe off. This will prevent them steaming up.

I find a visor works really well in keeping the rain off my glasses. The Whispers have a really desceet one that works well.
May the wind always be at your rear!

stoobs

Postby stoobs » 31 Mar 2008, 9:47pm

Another thing that reduces steaming is to pull the frames ever so slightly forwards (not so the rain comes in!). The circulating air should stop the condensation of warm air/water which is coming from your eyes.

My glasses tend to steam up when I go from going fast to slowing uphill. One finger behind the top of the frames (not the bridge) never fails.

szegerely

Postby szegerely » 31 Mar 2008, 11:25pm

Mick
Are you describing a stinging sensation as rain runs into your eyes?
I have had this in the past on very wet rides, and I was wearing cycling glasses. I think sweat (or salt) was being washed out of my hemet pads into my eyes. I had to get off as it was too dangerous to ride until it settled down.
I would love to know how to prevent it. At the moment I dare not go out in heavy rain.
Any ideas?
I am currently trying a cap under my helmet, which seems to keep the problem away when I get caught in the rain, but I still would like some better advice.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Apr 2008, 8:41am

szegerely

I've had the sweat thing from the pads, but from sweating even more, not the rain. It sounds disgusting but I've had it on a very long ride that the new sweat was washing out dried sweat and my eyes were burning so much I could not open them. Once I realised what was happening I washed the pads after every ride but that is only possible properly with easily detachable pads.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Apr 2008, 9:07am

Ah! The pads! Of course!

In the days before I wore a helmet, I never suffered the way I do now.

As for washing my pads, if I did they'd disintegrate! I need a new helmet, I believe, as it's 4 years old now. I am told that they deteriorate after 3 years, something to do with the resin?

So no point in buying new pads. When I get my new helmet, I'll get a replacement set of pads at the same time. That way I can wear one set whilst the other set are in the wash!
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Apr 2008, 8:56pm

I've been waering bifocals all the time except sleeping for quite a long time now. Since I started with the angina I've become a bit of a fair-weather man because the cold sets it off. I was well and truly out in the snow this afternoon, luckily for only the last half hour of my ride. I have a Goretex peaked cap of Alan Partridge cut, with earflaps. It only has a very thin lining si it fits under the helmet and is the only thing I've found to keep the weather out of my face.

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 7 Apr 2008, 2:43am

For ski goggles, at least here in the US, there's a product called Cat Crap (sic) that you wipe on lenses that is quite effective at preventing misting. I've never tried it for cycling.

Helmet pad cleaning. For those who have hair. Lather up your hair in the shower, put your helmet on and rub it around then rinse and let air dry (Your helmet that is, what you do with your hair is your business). It works quite well.

PW

Postby PW » 7 Apr 2008, 10:21pm

2 old tricks from my scuba diving days - wipe the inside of the lens with either raw potato or spit, then rinse off with clean water. Don't dry it. The lens won't steam up.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

Russell160

Postby Russell160 » 7 Apr 2008, 11:30pm

Lidl, the popular discount supermarket, currenty stock a range of cycling accessories, one of which is a great little 'sportive' sunglasses/protective eyewear with interchangeable lenses, padded frame liner, nifty packing case.
More importantly, cheap as chips, £4.99 or something. I bought a set today and will be trying them out tomorrow, as I get wind problems mainly. Thing is, so cheap got to be worth a try and nothing lost if fail to work.
My lbs advised against spending big money on eyewear protection because: a)gets lost b) gets muck on, wipe off with gloves, lens scratched forever, expensive shadesneed replacing.
PS I don't work for Lidl.