Audax without a car

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Audax without a car

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
That is the problem living in a out on a limb place, devon is slightly better.
I have always cycled to audaxes but they are near to home so no great shakes, I also prefer to cycle to a route I wish to do but not say 100 miles away normally
I prefer self suporting and I am not sure why audaxes arent this way on the ride, you have to carry repair tools, own navigation mostly and some food so why not all?
Otherwise they start to become sportives................only done one sportive so far cycled there carried all water and food and it was great, no stopping to check in and a paid massage................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
meic

Post by meic »

I prefer self suporting and I am not sure why audaxes arent this way on the ride, you have to carry repair tools, own navigation mostly and some food so why not all?

I dont quite see what you are saying there.
Are you suggesting that Audax riders should carry their own food and water, rather than being able (in fact generally "required") to get such things at the various controls?

Such Audaxes do exist, either "X-rated" events or "permanents" but they are much less popular because they remove some of the attractions of normal Audax, most noticeably the cafe stops.
Yma o Hyd
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

perhaps a certain number of audax events should start /finish from main line stations, to allow for this. No reason not too really. Another thought is if your 'car' happens to be a 'classic' car, then as from May 2018 cars over 40 years old will be MOT exempt, and tax free, and prob cheap insurance as well, with limited mileage. So now something like a Morris Marina estate looks like a good option. :D
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

meic wrote:ut they are much less popular because they remove some of the attractions of normal Audax, most noticeably the cafe stops.

I thought the diy audax ability helps many achieve their aims by doing rides when they like and when it fits with other travel plans.

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/ you can also add in miles to cycle to a start point and also start at any entry point into the route, if a point on route is closer to your home.

But perhaps I'm missing the point that people are riding to be part of an event or social ride.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

meic wrote:
Nice ride, though didn't think much of the audax itself.

That needs some deciphering!
What were you expecting? A load of podium girls showering you with champagne.

I too have cycled to and ridden that same 100 miler. I quite enjoyed having a hundred miles of flat riding, a lovely change from having to winch up hills all the time.
The ride Up North was good.
I enjoy riding somewhere. I wouldn't have gone up there just to go for a circular ride. I can do that from home.

It's not something I'd done before - ie doing an organised ride. The organisation was fine, but some people treated it as a race, some people cut the corners off, and some people like me would have done it almost non stop. In fact I missed out the last lunch stop. I didn't need the organisation or the support.

I overtook the same cyclists (plural) twice, and a tandem three times. Goodness knows what route they were following. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

When choosing an Audax two factors I usually (see below) look at are; is it far enough away so I don't spend most of the ride on roads that I would generally ride anyway and is it not too far away so it requires a lot of driving (> 1 to 1 /1/2 hours).

This is a bit limiting and as such I only did four this year.
1. Drove and camped at Street YHA the night before.
2. Drove on the morning.
3. Drove and stayed at a Premier Inn the night before.
4. Cycled to the event on the morning. This one did go against what I usually do but as the start was 1 mile from my house I thought it a shame not to do it.

I would like to get to Audaxes without car, perhaps when I've retired.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
meic wrote:
Nice ride, though didn't think much of the audax itself.

That needs some deciphering!
What were you expecting? A load of podium girls showering you with champagne.

I too have cycled to and ridden that same 100 miler. I quite enjoyed having a hundred miles of flat riding, a lovely change from having to winch up hills all the time.
The ride Up North was good.
I enjoy riding somewhere. I wouldn't have gone up there just to go for a circular ride. I can do that from home.

It's not something I'd done before - ie doing an organised ride. The organisation was fine, but some people treated it as a race, some people cut the corners off, and some people like me would have done it almost non stop. In fact I missed out the last lunch stop. I didn't need the organisation or the support.

I overtook the same cyclists (plural) twice, and a tandem three times. Goodness knows what route they were following. :lol:

Yep, just like road motorcycle trials, some turned up on "Trials" bikes masquerading as "Trail" bikes, which was disallowed but fooled the scrutineers :roll:

Mind you I have turned up at a charity ride on my Koga Miyata racing type bike and meant with all I have to be first round :mrgreen:
Only to be piped by someone who missed the checkpoint (I still went past them) and a triple gang from local cycle shop sponsored fly boys :twisted:
I stayed in fourth place but then did another lap to give moral support to my partner :)

Edited- Not helped by jobwoth traffic wardens pushing pelican crossing buttons...................... :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:However they have done a few small things to offset that such as the "extended calendar event" where you can extend the Audax that you are riding to so that it includes some or all of your journey in and out.
As a dedicated and extreme long distance cyclist you can just ride to the start because that is how extreme cyclists do things (with or without extra Audax points).

I'm neither dedicated nor extreme so maybe Audax isn't for the likes of me. I'm surprised if such a niche target audience could sustain many events, though.

I didn't remember "extended calendar event" so I looked it up at http://www.aukweb.net/diy/ece/ which says "allows riders to combine a DIY Perm with a Calendar event". Happily there was a link for DIY Perm in the side bar (but not the text) which says that's "DIY Perms are permanent events where you plan both the route and the date of the ride" but looking in more detail it seems only AUK members can enter.

Either way, it looks like it still would turn each Audax into a multi-day expedition, which would mean doing far fewer of them.

yostumpy wrote:perhaps a certain number of audax events should start /finish from main line stations, to allow for this. No reason not too really.

Quite a few audaxes seem close enough to major train stations already but the early start times for the shorter (200km or less) distances prevent people from further than about 40 miles away travelling the same day, especially on Sundays.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

mjr wrote:I'm neither dedicated nor extreme so maybe Audax isn't for the likes of me. I'm surprised if such a niche target audience could sustain many events, though.

I met some people recently doing a 600k audax, they were on the last 50k. Very impressive but each one I met was in their 60's. I think perhaps it best suits those with plenty of free time and no concerns over next months pay cheque. Then a multi day trip for an event using trains and B+B's may not be as big a concern and many events per year possible.

I keep going back to it as it looks good, but each time the practicalities and cost put me off. The diy gps submission and freedom to start anywhere on a predefined route is beneficial. Overall a shame as membership cost is low, event entry cost low and magazine( pdf's online ) look interesting.... apart from awards and winners listings.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:Investing in a campervan pretty much commits you to a motor based "expeditioning" future as you have to use them a fair bit each year for them to be financially viable.

I agree but campervans needn't be big expensive affairs and a Berlingo or SWB Transit sized vehicle can be fitted out as an overnight/weekend vehicle quite cheaply,Of course it's what suits the individual and not everyone will like the idea.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Oct 2017, 2:31pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Not having a car never held Jack Eason back.
Riding our 400 he’d train to Carlisle cycle 40ml to start. Ride the 400 have a puff on his pipe and ride back to Carlisle.
A pleasure to have been in his company on National 400s.
I only ever rode one 100 and I subscribe to the school of they aren’t real Audax rides. Just a taster for people and as Mick states treat as a race for many club riders.
http://www.willesdencyclingclub.co.uk/a ... ack-eason/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

yostumpy wrote:perhaps a certain number of audax events should start /finish from main line stations, to allow for this. No reason not too really. Another thought is if your 'car' happens to be a 'classic' car, then as from May 2018 cars over 40 years old will be MOT exempt, and tax free, and prob cheap insurance as well, with limited mileage. So now something like a Morris Marina estate looks like a good option. :D

Way back when,I owned a Morris Marina estate :?
The thought of owning a 40 year old one gives me the same sickly feeling as being in mid Atlantic in a rubber dingy who's paddles have just been lost overboard and there appears now to be a hissing sound as the dingy seems to be getting smaller :shock:
Put another way,given the choice of owning a Morris Marina again or dropping a 56lb weight on my foot
I'd gladly put up with the permanent limp
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Either way, it looks like it still would turn each Audax into a multi-day expedition, which would mean doing far fewer of them.

Depending on where you live and what you want, but that's not what it does for me, adding 100 km to a ride puts lots within my range and I'm certainly not extreme. It's just a way of encouraging more long distance cycling.
PH

Post by PH »

yostumpy wrote:perhaps a certain number of audax events should start /finish from main line stations, to allow for this.

Except the number of bikes you can get on the trains...
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:Depending on where you live and what you want, but that's not what it does for me, adding 100 km to a ride puts lots within my range and I'm certainly not extreme. It's just a way of encouraging more long distance cycling.

Adding 100km to an audax would still only put the same one start point in the next district (Swaffham, 24km away) within range. As you say, it depends where you live.

Also, I doubt it encourages more long distance cycling to offer no practical shorter rides without a car. Instead, it seems to mean that "How can non-motorists get to that start from home the same day?" (and variations on it) has become a FAQ.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.