... the best place for number plates on a bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
keyboardmonkey

... the best place for number plates on a bike?

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Does anyone know if Cycling UK partner Halfords still wants our money?

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/halfor ... sts/022026
1982john

Re: ... the best place for number plates on a bike?

Post by 1982john »

the best place for bicycle number plates is in the bin
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The only number plate that'll be on my bikes are competitors race numbers :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've had this thing floated before.
I won't work.

How can you register a collection of components that is a bicycle?
Maybe we should register the cyclist and not the bike?
How can that be implemented?
ID cards?

There's no way that DVLA would get involved.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

I wonder whether this will make any of the organisations break with halfords.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Isn't Chris Boardman in some sort of partnership with Halfords? Perhaps he'll have a word.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Unworkable, all it would do is clog up police call centres with Joe Public calling when a cyclist coughs the wrong way.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The first paragraph in the link states that Halfords comissioned a survey and "a convincing 59% of people thought number plates on bikes were a good idea".
Who were asked?
What percentage of those surveyed were cyclists and which were rampant anticyclist petrolheads?
No one asked me!
TBH this sort of thin end of the wedge is becoming more apparent and CUK should IMO distance itself from such tripe,though when it's taking funds from the government and in partentship with the likes of Halfords it most likely won't.
As for cycling proficiency tests,something else which had a majority vote,how would that be policed?
Presently the police cant keep track of motors being driven illegally they're so thinly spread and over worked but I s'pose cyclists would be easier to catch.
IMHO it's the policing of people who are causing the most carnage on UK roads who need looking into and clamping down on,not cyclists.
This is all riding on the back of the Alliston case,whilst focusing on the mouse,the elephant goes unnoticed :? :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

The aspect I find disagreeable is
... said Halfords, with the retailer claiming the suggestion would “encourage responsible riding.”

People can do surveys, gauge public opinions (even on things I don't agree with!). But here the retailer is also supporting the idea. And if they are supporting the idea one wonders how well designed the survey was.

And to me it raises yet more questions about the companies CTC/CUK is associating itself with. Recently we found that their insurance offering requires helmet wearing, now they have an association with one that thinks bike number plates would “encourage responsible riding."

Ian
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

keyboardmonkey wrote:Does anyone know if Cycling UK partner Halfords still wants our money?

"[The] government has consistently reached the conclusion that such proposals are disproportionate and unnecessary."

I would have thought that, for the majority of Halford's respondents, disproportionate would please them no end. In fact, if you were to replace "number plates" with "death sentences" a healthy chunk of the votes would have been in favour.

As it happens, up until 2011 in Germany bikes were supposed to carry number plates. In France too, although I don't know if we still are. Nobody I know does.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote:As it happens, up until 2011 in Germany bikes were supposed to carry number plates. In France too, although I don't know if we still are. Nobody I know does.

Do you have a source for those claims? http://ipayroadtax.com/licensed-to-cycl ... -to-cycle/ only cites Japan as current or recent. Searching the web finds nothing relevant and searching online shops finds only a few German number plates that seem to have stopped being made in 1945 for some reason ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

How about print the number on a device that acts as a gatso and automatically sends prosecutions out to speeding motor vehicles.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Until quite recently Switzerland required cyclists to have 3rd party insurance and issued a numbered sticker known as a vignette which had to be displayed. It was pretty small IIRC, about the size of a 10p coin. They were discontinued in 2012. I don't know what happened if you had more than one bike.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I suggest that if any government tried to have bikes registered we should show our disapproval by meeting for a big "ride" in our cars and clog up the lanes with a slow moving convoy of cars driven by disgruntled cyclists :lol:
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

Audax67 wrote:
keyboardmonkey wrote:Does anyone know if Cycling UK partner Halfords still wants our money?

"[The] government has consistently reached the conclusion that such proposals are disproportionate and unnecessary."

I would have thought that, for the majority of Halford's respondents, disproportionate would please them no end. In fact, if you were to replace "number plates" with "death sentences" a healthy chunk of the votes would have been in favour.

As it happens, up until 2011 in Germany bikes were supposed to carry number plates. In France too, although I don't know if we still are. Nobody I know does.

I've lived in Germany since 2000 and never heard of that, where on earth did you get that idea from? The only requirements for plates here are the E-Bikes with a max speed of 45Kmh (not those restricted to 25Kmh)