Croggy - a new one on me.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PJ520

Croggy - a new one on me.

Post by PJ520 »

According to The Virtual Linguist the OED now defines croggy as “a ride given to a passenger on a bicycle, in which the recipient sits on the crossbar, handlebars, or behind the person pedalling”.

Has this been introduced to UK English since the 1970s because I've never heard of it. How do you use it in a sentence? When I was a kid at primary school I saddled a schoolmate home sometimes.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
NUKe

Re: Croggy - a new one on me.

Post by NUKe »

I have heard and used it in the 1970's in west Yorkshire.
NUKe

Post by PJ520 »

NUKe wrote:I have heard and used it in the 1970's in west Yorkshire.

Ah well...it wasn't too far from Lancashire where I grew up, perhaps we were contaminated.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Where I grew up it was called a seatie but when I was at uni the discussion came up of what various people called this and someone did say croggy and another said a backie.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Always known it as a 'croggy' as in 'give us a croggy' Or 'can give you a croggy'
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

PJ520 wrote:According to The Virtual Linguist the OED now defines croggy as “a ride given to a passenger on a bicycle, in which the recipient sits on the crossbar, handlebars, or behind the person pedalling”.

Has this been introduced to UK English since the 1970s because I've never heard of it. How do you use it in a sentence? When I was a kid at primary school I saddled a schoolmate home sometimes.

It's a term used in East Yorkshire from at least the 70s. I still hear it. I don't thing there is any danger that it will be replaced by 'toptubey' [sp?].

"Any chance of a croggy home from school?" might be an example of its usage.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

eileithyia wrote:Always known it as a 'croggy' as in 'give us a croggy'...

Yes, and for those from a sheltered linguistic upbringing: the person asking the question was not enquiring on behalf of a group of people, but typically just for their own benefit. :)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It was in general use around here for giving somebody a ride on the top tube in my teens. I've always assumed it was a corruption of cross bar. IME, it never extended to a ride on the saddle, which would have been described as a "saddle."

(Ken Dodd had a salty joke about getting into trouble with the police for giving a young lady a ride on the cross bar, the punch line being "It was her bike."
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, when a were a lad we used to call it a "crossy" for a ride on the cross bar.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Seems I had a sheltered up bringing in our woolen enclave of W Yorks, perhaps I didn't go out and laik enough.
Grarea

Post by Grarea »

We used to call it a whippy.

As in 'give us a whippy'.
Although, I am slightly unsure of the spelling as I have not seen it written down.
Thinking about it, not sure if it meant ' a lift on the bike' or more specifically sitting on the saddle while the rider stood up and pedalled.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

thirdcrank wrote:IME, it never extended to a ride on the saddle, which would have been described as a "saddle."

Round these parts that would have been called a "seater". (As an aside, when I Googled it in an expression "seater" was autocorrected to "sweater", which in turn I would call a "jumper".)

Anyway... I remember giving rides on the metal saddlebag support that clamped to the top of my seat stays. That practice - and having someone sitting on the handlebars - had no designated term that I recall.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I grew up in the E Mids (Notts/Derby border), in the 60s/70s it was always a croggy there! Ay'Up mate gis a croggy! Now living in W. Yorks and a mention of this to my cycling friends resulted in blank expressions!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

In my part of the world it's always a "backie" - I've never heard any of the other expressions.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yep, grew up in Notts in the 60's and 70's and Croggy was a commonly heard term. Everyone knew what it meant.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com