Canyon or Rose bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dudlocks

Canyon or Rose bike

Post by Dudlocks »

Hello,

I'm looking fur some advice on my first road bike, for weekend cycling, any advice between these 2 both Al with full 105 groupsets ?

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endur ... c-7-0.html

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro ... aid:891931

Cheers
Tony
Si

Re: Canyon or Rose bike

Post by Si »

Unless you can get a proper test ride I would be inclined to give both a miss. You can compare components and materials and so on, but if it doesn't fit you properly even the best equipped, most expensive bike is not going to get much use.

If you can get a test ride then try both and go for the one that you like the best. Don't worry if one might have a component that is one notch up the scale than the other - what you need is a bike that you are comfortable on first and foremost.

Also, you need to ask yourself exactly you will do with it? For instance, if you just want to go fast and use it on nice days then disc brakes aren't really needed, or at the other extreme: if you are going to use it in all weathers for long rides then you might consider something that will take mudguards and larger tyres.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I can't really agree with Si. I think that if you are sure about the basic frame size you need (this is essential), then modern frames can be made to fit, by adjusting seat height (free) and/or stem length/angle (cheap). This won't have been the case with older-style frames (horizontal top tubes and quill stems). A short test ride won't really tell you if it's comfortable or not. Test rides are good to see if there are any faults, or if it's a wholly unsuitable shape for you.
Both Rose and Canyon are reputable brands; two or three riders in my club have similar Canyons.
Chris F, Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Given that you know what frame size you want and which of the 2 you would be relatively comfortable on when riding, I would buy the one you can source via a local bike shop, for the after sales service etc., and for tweaking it to be comfortable for you.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

eileithyia wrote:Given that you know what frame size you want and which of the 2 you would be relatively comfortable on when riding, I would buy the one you can source via a local bike shop, for the after sales service etc., and for tweaking it to be comfortable for you.

yup.

Your first road bike doesn't have to be 'good value' or to have groupset X or wheelset Y, it has to fit you, be set up properly and not fall apart.

Buying mail order is unlikely to assure any of these things. It is not like buying a microwave oven.

Unless you are an expert mechanic and understand how to set up your bike position well (and many experienced cyclists don't...) you are far better off getting your bike from an LBS where they will sort you out properly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~