Solid tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tony 1690

Solid tyres

Post by tony 1690 »

Anyone got any experience with solid tyres (made by green tyre company) the tyres are £20 each anyone tried these or use them what's your honest opinion? .just wanted some feedback before I commit to buying .for sort 10 mile journeys not serious long distance riding.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my EVA-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
Last edited by tony 1690 on 23 Oct 2017, 3:55pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brucey

Re: Solid tyres

Post by Brucey »

horrible things, IMHO

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scottg

Post by scottg »

Ever notice how some people read the max psi rating
on tires, and proceed to pump them up to it ?

110lb rider with 25mm tires pumped up to 105psi ?
A fair simulation of solid tires.
Dr. Dunlop shakes his head in heaven.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
softlips

Post by softlips »

Anybody ridden on the solid tyres. Seen a few new companies doing them.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

scottg wrote:Ever notice how some people read the max psi rating

A fair simulation of solid tires.
Dr. Dunlop shakes his head in heaven.

50KG .... who is that light .... my legs (fat free) weigh more than that !! :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'm slowly resigning myself to there fate and seriously considering them. My daughter gets multiple punctures from brambles. :cry:

But only for the wheelbarrow! :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

They're okay for things like prams, pushchairs and sack trucks, but not for bikes. John Boyd Dunlop's pneumatic tyre swept them away in the 1890s and attempts to revive them have consistently failed ever since. Even wheelbarrows prefer inflatable tyres for their superior ride quality, handling and comfort!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Roadster wrote:They're okay for things like prams, pushchairs and sack trucks, but not for bikes. John Boyd Dunlop's pneumatic tyre swept them away in the 1890s and attempts to revive them have consistently failed ever since. Even wheelbarrows prefer inflatable tyres for their superior ride quality, handling and comfort!

upmarket prams use pneumatic tyres - I have seen a few around London ( though I wonder what they would do if they got a puncture - call out the RAC? :lol: )
rjb

Post by rjb »

mercalia wrote:
Roadster wrote:They're okay for things like prams, pushchairs and sack trucks, but not for bikes. John Boyd Dunlop's pneumatic tyre swept them away in the 1890s and attempts to revive them have consistently failed ever since. Even wheelbarrows prefer inflatable tyres for their superior ride quality, handling and comfort!

upmarket prams use pneumatic tyres - I have seen a few around London ( though I wonder what they would do if they got a puncture - call out the RAC? :lol: )

I believe Mothercare offer a free puncture repair service for their sales. :D

Something for Halfords to think about :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:

I used to have such a pram. Absolutely brilliant, enabled otherwise quite impassable routes to be easy, but more prone to punctures than a bike.

So, just as I do on a bike, I carried a pump, tyre levers and a spare tube at all times. Also kept them full of that self sealing green gunk.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Solid tyres are a PITA to fit, comfort is crap and they wear quite quickly. On the plus side you don't get punctures.

OTOH you could use better quality pneumatics, look after them and not suffer lots of punctures - tubeless seem to be quite suited to the application.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

scottg wrote:Ever notice how some people read the max psi rating

Nothing wrong with pumping up tyres to the max psi rating, or above (they are all conservatively rated anyway) and
having a decent ride quality. I've done it on all of my bikes with no ill effects.

Why not give it a try before pronouncing on it. :wink:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

It depends on the rider's weight, though - a lighter rider (and 110lbs is very light) will find max tyre pressures very uncomfortable. I speak from personal experience; I'm 120lbs and never pump my tyres up to the maximum.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've not ridden solid tyres, so can't comment, but all who have ridden and commented as opposed to not ridden and commented say they are not very good.

If I were you, I'd go for something like Schwalbe's greenguard. I don't like the ride, but much better than solid I imagine and very puncture resistant. They won't cost much more than those solids and will last ages.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

rjb wrote:Something for Halfords to think about :lol:

My LBS is already onto that - repairing and replacing pram tyres and wheels.