The best Water & Windproof Jacket you can suggest?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
itaa

The best Water & Windproof Jacket you can suggest?

Post by itaa »

Basically I'm starting a new job in a place where I will have to spend most of the day outdoors in freezing -10c ,up to -30c weather with high winds and some occasional cold rain to top it all off...and I need some Protection in a form of excellent windbreaker/something waterproof as well with good hood and overall just excellent build quality. I'm too Poor to buy the cheap stuff ,so need something good that will last me for a while and will do its job.

My current combo Is a merino baselayer/ 1 or 2 cashmere sweaters/ light down jacket , now I need something to go over all that so the damn Wind doesn't blows away all the warmth I have inside and just creates a nice environment to be in. I will be riding my bike as well sometimes so need something that isn't super bulky and you still got good range of motion.
What brands/exact models would you suggest for a task like this?
Have never bought stuff like this before so Have no idea whatsoever what is good and what's not...
Tangled Metal

Re: The best Water & Windproof Jacket you can suggest?

Post by Tangled Metal »

What's your budget?

Will you be active or stationary? Film crew that I've seen often wear long down jackets that are full length in winter. That's because they're mostly stationary.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

These jackets are worth a look....not that waterproof but you'll stay warm even if wet;

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/cycle-shirt/

All the best, Simon
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My interpretation of your criteria is that you need some super-warm workwear which might be OK for occasional cycling. I think you might struggle to find something which does all that but for the workwear side of it, the Swedish company Fristads Kansas has some cosy workwear. Not cheap but if it's OK in Sweden, it should keep you warm here. Their range is vast, but it's not all available in the UK. Here's a top end Parka sold in the UK

http://www.bestworkwear.co.uk/fristads- ... 8-gxb.html

They do other stuff cheaper than that. The main point is that it's workwear so all your money is going on that, rather than fashion or suitability for mountaineering or whatever. I have some of their Windstopper-lined worktrousers which are brilliant just for keeping my ageing legs warm in Winter. I found out about them several years ago googling windproof golf trousers which cost twice as much but are less practical. (I'm not a golfer.)

http://www.bestworkwear.co.uk/workwear/ ... 8-gwb.html
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Take a look at outdoor action in Blackburn (decent website). They used to sell parkas from Scandinavia. They are heavy but incredibly warm. I tried one in store for seconds and nearly got heat stroke!
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I would be looking at something from Paramo......The Halcon, the Pajero or the Cascada, are probably the hardest wearing....Plenty of pockets and a hood.

Not cheap, but they are brilliant windproofs and as waterproof as anything that I've owned. They are not made out of that heavy, restrictive Gortexy/Nylon stuff, so should be good for working in. You WILL boil if you cycle a long way in one but that's likely to be the case in whatever you chose.

Cleaning and reproofing ??...Throw a Paramo jacket into the washine machine every now and then with Paramo's own 'Nikwax' products, and they come out as good as new.

Paramo's after sales is also very good. They did a brilliant job of repairing a nasty tear in one of my jackets.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have worked in such conditions. The first thing I will say is that rain/wet requires different clothes than -10 to -30. I wore rubber rain gear (including spats and mittens) and appropriate layers underneath when working outside in cold rain, but the condensation in those would be a problem in the colder temperatures.

In the cold, I wore:
synthetic or merino base layer(s)
wool (knitted or woven) layer(s)
down
one piece winter overalls

The one piece is much warmer than two. I had to wear a size too big to get all the other stuff on underneath. If the weather changes, I can swap the winter overalls for rubber rain gear. My employer provided the winter overalls and the rubber rain gear, but both seemed to do the job well.

Layers are good so that they can be changed as a person warms up or conditions change.

I moved to Norway 5 years ago. After getting cold doing stuff outdoors a few times (even with a nice down jacket), I bought myself a set of winter overalls a couple of years ago from a workwear place because it was a solution that worked well.

Edited to add, I can ride my bike in all that stuff, but it's slow going & I wouldn't want to do it very far. The hardest part is keeping one's hands warm. It's hard to do, even in heavy mittens. A cycling cape can go over your hands and block the wind. Otherwise, you can get shields to fit on the handlebars for cold weather cycling, or use something like bar mitts.

Edited again to add that it's completely possible to cycle in big winter boots. Sized big enough for two thick pairs of socks has been enough for anything I've ridden in.

Military winter gear is an option, too. When I was at university (in Wisconsin, USA), I often bought my winter clobber at Army-Navy surplus places. I cycled to uni sometimes in a wool-lined drab olive great coat. My friends thought it was hilarious.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Russian Army winter gear - not overly expensive, designed for movement , hard wearing and obviously suitable for cold conditions.

http://ana-tactical.com/gorka-fleece - described as "Good choice, if you going to cold hell, and want to return from it alive."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Minus 10 to minus 30, that is pretty extreme. I would have thought the first person to consult is your employer. Don't they have an obligation to keep you safe.

Or is it a new venture by Uber?
meic

Post by meic »

I do find it a bit odd that waterproof is being asked for alongside these temperatures.

By that time you only need insulation as water is no longer a liquid.

Whatever the solution, one of my main criteria would be some rather large "pit zips" and not just the armpits, so you can let warm moist air out when needed and seal up for warmth when less active.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

meic wrote:I do find it a bit odd that waterproof is being asked for alongside these temperatures.

By that time you only need insulation as water is no longer a liquid.

Whatever the solution, one of my main criteria would be some rather large "pit zips" and not just the armpits, so you can let warm moist air out when needed and seal up for warmth when less active.

Yes. I know someone who worked in SIberia and she says you don't need waterproof clothing when it's cold. She also claims we don't have any seasons in Britain.
A Ukrainian musician based in Nottingham , Irina Muha, has written a song called "Lets talk about the weather" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aqM8xP-Ko4 It's in Russian but the last verse translates as

"Where is Winter, where is Autumn, where is Summer
You wouldn’t tell without a calendar
But what one can do-
At least there is always something to talk about-
To discuss the weather
Ten times a day"
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

simonhill wrote:Minus 10 to minus 30, that is pretty extreme. ?

It's not too bad, my school only used to close if the temperatures dropped below 35 when I was growing up. We just wore normal clothes I.e. felt boots, snow boots, snow trousers, gloves and hats tied on.......
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

layering. it takes a lot of learning, taking layers on and off to anticipate working. as does sizing - tight base layers loose outer layers to trap air.

I'd look at good quality second hand or indeed workwear, US brands are usually designed for these conditions as it is much colder over there.

Rab pile and double pile will protect you and still be warm when wet - any fibre pile is far better than regular fleece. a wind layer over the top or a breathable waterproof, if it is that cold and you aren't active a full waterproof might work better - when goretex wets out it saps heat away from the body. I've just worn windproofs in norway over my quilted gear and been quite cosy. Down is warm and light but suffers sweat badly doesn't dry easy and loses thermal properties very quickly. Ski wear is usually non breathable and quilted as is most of the kit issued to the guys repairing the motorways.

a bodywarmer is your friend - keep your core warm while not having the same cover on you arms improves your range of movement and helps regulate your overall temperature. pit zips or through pockets are good for regulating temperature.

goretex boots can cause more problems if you have sweaty feet, vapour rub or menthol powder will reduce sweating and also warm feet up, trainer socks under wool socks also help as the polycotton soaks up the sweat while the wool stays dryer and warmer. at the other end a decent hat and a hood. probably a face mask to avoid windchill burn.

the snugpak stuff they made for afghanistan is out there is cheap and practical - softie jacket and trousers.

that said if it is that cold are you are an employee they have a duty to make sure you have the correct gear and lots of breaks. the guys who work in cold storage units are only allowed 20 mins in the chillers at a time with a break inbetween. if you are classed as a subbie they should ensure you have the right kit or provide a requirement
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gbnz wrote:
simonhill wrote:Minus 10 to minus 30, that is pretty extreme. ?

It's not too bad, my school only used to close if the temperatures dropped below 35 when I was growing up. ...

Are you using the same units? I hesitate to venture into grandma/ egg territory but there's a big difference between 35degs F, ie just above freezing point and -30degs C ie risking cruelty to brass monkeys.
softlips

Post by softlips »

-30, where are you working? I've only experienced that in the arctic circle. It's a strange, dry cold, not unpleasant unless you're actually stuck outside in it I guess.