The best Water & Windproof Jacket you can suggest?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonhill

Re: The best Water & Windproof Jacket you can suggest?

Post by simonhill »

It's all a bit confusing.

The OP says "-10c, up to -30c". Shouldn't that be down to? Also, as pointed out above, he then talks about rain.

Maybe some clarification needed, methinks.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

thirdcrank wrote:
gbnz wrote:
simonhill wrote:Minus 10 to minus 30, that is pretty extreme. ?

It's not too bad, my school only used to close if the temperatures dropped below 35 when I was growing up. ...

Are you using the same units? I hesitate to venture into grandma/ egg territory.

Yes, -26C was a normal autumn /winter day, it'd sometimes get colder. The school was downtown, I suppose just outside the artic circle, but at a higher altitude than any English "mountain"
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are lots of places in North America, south of London that have annual average temperatures that look like London winter temperatures. Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan, Canada has an annual mean temperature of 2.6 degrees Celsius. The average daily minimum in January is -22 and the average daily maximum is -16.

Where I grew up, which is more than 10 degrees latitude south of London, Most winters had some days where the high for the day was below -20 C. Some winters that lasted for a few weeks. I recall winters when there were days where the best temperature was -30. Althought, that was unusual enough that not many people were not prepared for it, and children's schools would close.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Zoidsberg

Post by Zoidsberg »

The snugpak sj12 jacket claims to have a temp range of between -15 to -20

I've got the elite body warmer and its like wearing a duvet.
:idea: :idea:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Zoidsberg wrote:The snugpak sj12 jacket claims to have a temp range of between -15 to -20

I've got the elite body warmer and its like wearing a duvet.

I've got a down jacket that's like that. I love it. The only problem with jackets in really cold temperatures is that between the jacket and trousers is an opportunity for cold air or snow to get in. If you are working, it becomes more likely. If you are playing in the snow with children, it becomes unavoidable.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Barks

Post by Barks »

If you are working in those sort of temperatures your employer should be providing you the right gear to wear to cope with the conditions. If you are self employed then you should have included the cost of the appropriate gear in your costings. If you are so inexperienced that you have to ask this Forum what you need to deal with sub zero temperatures for long periods do not take the job on - you are at serious risk of dying at worst, some form of freezing injury at best.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

The temperatures you are talking about equate to Alaska in the winter so you may find some advice on the Iditarod event or the bike equivalent. When in Alaska I had a chat with Geoff King a winner of the race and these temperatures are really serious. Where are you off to?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

simonhill wrote:It's all a bit confusing.

The OP says "-10c, up to -30c". Shouldn't that be down to? Also, as pointed out above, he then talks about rain.

Maybe some clarification needed, methinks.

Er, clearly states occasional cold rain, why is that confusing?
meic wrote:I do find it a bit odd that waterproof is being asked for alongside these temperatures.

Why is it odd, they clearly stated the temps and occasional rain, what's odd about that?

The Gorka stuff recommended is excellent, have a read of this blog, very useful for deciding which variant you want/suit your requirements better.
https://armada-store.com/blog/gorka-sui ... is-better/
meic

Post by meic »

Why is it odd, they clearly stated the temps and occasional rain, what's odd about that?,

It is odd to find water in a liquid state between the temperatures of -10 and -30 deg C.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

I was a little surprised to find that my winter suit (which I used for the sidecar in very low temperatures) was originally waterproof.

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/new- ... 93671.html
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It sounded to me like the OP meant they would be working sometimes in cold rain, and sometimes in temperatures between -10 and -30.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

He said he would be outdoors in temps of -10 up to -30. I saw nothing to say the temp would-be other than that, hence my comment about rain and also that it was a strange way of putting it ie-10 up to - 30, I would have expected down to. That is why I called for clarification.

Others obviously read it differently. Seeing as OP hasn't got back, perhaps we should worry about him possibly freezing to death somewhere with inadequate clothing.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The utility cyclist wrote:But you ignored the fact they said they needed the jacket to be waterproof as it occasionally rains, why is that such hard a concept to understand that requiring a jacket to be waterproof at times and also be usable in the cold as a top layer?

Part of the issue here is the trick is that when it gets seriously cold, a fully waterproof top layer restricts breathability which means you get damper inside and consequently colder. Fully waterproof stuff for very cold conditions just isn't a very good way of doing it compared to mix and match layering. Another point is that when it does rain, and is thus around freezing at most, if your waterproof is keeping you dry and it's also fit for 30 degrees colder as insulation, you'll be absolutely cooking.

A layering approach means you can do -30 and waterproof independently, which will optimise the waterproofing without cooking at around zero and the -30 without stewing in your own juices.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

No sign of the OP since this thread was started. I hope they have not perished already. :wink:
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

thirdcrank wrote:No sign of the OP since this thread was started. I hope they have not perished already. :wink:

Ice does a good job in preservation.
Was watching a documentary where they found 3 sailors from the 1845 Franklin Expedition and they were in exceptional good conditions, so that a complete medical report could be done and found that Lead poisoning could have been a key factor in their deaths (altogether with the extreme conditions) :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...