retailer responsibility to provide instructions?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kazzal82

retailer responsibility to provide instructions?

Post by kazzal82 »

hi, I am hoping for some advice from anyone that can help me. I am trying to find out if it is a retailers responsibility to ensure a manual is provided with a bicycle that is delivered to my home address. The bike was delivered boxed and half built. The only things that needed adding were the peddles, seat, handle bars and front wheel. Without a manual provided I was unaware that any of the already built items needed further checks. This information was not provided in the box nor in the conformation email after purchase. Should I have been told about additional checks.?

Any hekp with this would be great

Thanks

K
tatanab

Re: Any advice please

Post by tatanab »

Pedals

I cannot imagine a manual to tell you how to attach the parts. The reason I say this is because as soon as it says "tighten nut" it would have to specify a torque value to stop people doing it too slack (in particular) or too tight and stripping a thread. The manual would also have to tell you how to set saddle and handlebar position to fit the purchaser. It seems too much to expect to me.
horizon

Post by horizon »

kazzal82 wrote:hi, I am hoping for some advice from anyone that can help me. I am trying to find out if it is a retailers responsibility to ensure a manual is provided with a bicycle that is delivered to my home address. The bike was delivered boxed and half built. The only things that needed adding were the peddles, seat, handle bars and front wheel. Without a manual provided I was unaware that any of the already built items needed further checks. This information was not provided in the box nor in the conformation email after purchase. Should I have been told about additional checks.?

Any hekp with this would be great

Thanks

K

if it was delivered from the shop where you bought it (i.e. they had boxed it up) then they should be very happy for you to take it in for its first check over. If you bought it on-line it would most likely that it would be on the understanding that you did the final building yourself.

Was it factory boxed or shop boxed?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I'm not sure where the OP is going with this. Not knowing which retailer is being referred to I have looked at the online support offered on one shop's web site to those choosing to buy a boxed bike rather than have the bike built. The bike build is free and there are a set number of checks carried out as part of that service.

The number of checks are greater than the parts that are typically cable-tied, or otherwise fastened to prevent parts being scratched, and need to be fitted.

In my experience a boxed bike will have a manual - sometimes several - provided for information. As others have already mentioned we could do with a bit more info, please, eg if the box was unopened and just passed through the shop's storeroom.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one of my chums does the same thing with every paper manual he gets these days; he files it in......

... the bin.

He argues that it is pointless because he can find the manual online when he needs it. Most bicycle manufacturers have a selection of manuals available online and some still include them in paper form with every bike. Typically they contain torque specifications, instructions for assembling and using the bicycle, and guidance for load ratings etc.

But.... it wouldn't matter what was printed in such manuals; it is not going to turn you into an expert mechanic. There are exceptions but one reason mail order bikes are cheap is very simply that they are not put together properly. These days most LBSs are deluged with folk who have bought a mail order bike and can't put it together. [Plenty try and fail; nearly every day I see some twerp riding a bike with the forks turned the wrong way...].

Some LBSs have taken a view that they will only work on bikes they have sold, (and yes they turn custom away, but at least it means they don't have to work on the crappiest mail-order bikes, which is a truly soul-destroying experience) .
Plenty of LBSs take some pains to ensure that such customers understand that they don't really get good value by buying mail order: The LBS charges ~£30 to assemble a mail-order bike properly, and then again a similar amount for a first service after a couple of months. Of course any spare parts are charged for, since no warranty lies with them. All these things are free with a bike that they have sold, so arguably there is likely to be no real saving in buying mail order unless you are a competent mechanic.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Every time I buy a bag of cement, it comes with full instructions on how to build a house
.......saucepans have instructions how to cook any meal your heart desires

Why is it only bicycles that attract this level of stupidity?

Anybody fancy writing a full set of instructions, on the lines of "Everything you will ever need to know about bicycles"....?
Or scissors, even?

.....and yes, I know he is only looking for instructions which say...."Other bits of the bicycle may need attention"....but the next questions are always "which bits, and what attention".
pete75

Post by pete75 »

531colin wrote:.......saucepans have instructions how to cook any meal your heart desires

The manual that came with our Magfesa pressure cooker not only contains full instructions on how to use the device but also over 100 pages of recipes.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My guess is that the OP bought a cheapo bike on line and he now has a problem. He is seeking advice so he can have some recourse on the retailer.

My advice would be to contact his local trading standards office, at his local council. They will know the law, we can only surmise.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've had I think four or five bikes delivered come to think of it (we are in Cornwall after all). One from ebay beautifully and solidly packed. One from this forum not bad at all. Another, a tandem, so-so from a dealer. And another (bought and paid for at a bike shop) the worst of all - even the front drop-out was damaged - it was just placed without protection in an old bike box - unbelievable.

But the best was my Tern folder from Triton - they hadn't even opened it (the box came from Vietnam). Inside, beautifully and cleverly packaged and protected and with full instructions was my ready to assemble bike. Factories seem to know how to package things , bike shops don't. The instructions were useful but in any case I would have gone on-line. This is the way i would like to buy a bike in th future. And yes, it was cheap and no, there was no local or otherwise dealer with this bike.
Last edited by horizon on 31 Oct 2017, 9:49am, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

I think buying a bike in a box there's a (fair in my view) assumption that the buyer has a good idea of what they are doing and has to take responsibility for checking everything is secure, and not assume the pre assembled parts are all tight.
It's fresh out of the factory after all, not ready to ride.

Although I did buy a boxed bike from Halfords last year as it was a bargain and an end of line model so there was no more stock, I seem to remember having to sign that I was happy to self assemble, so I guess that's to cover them in the event something dropped off and caused injury /damage.

To be honest even on a prebuilt bike I'd go over everything to ensure all is in order and nothing loose for my own peace of mind.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I guess it depends on the manufacturer. For example ICE provide a superb set of instructions on how to assemble one of their machines bought boxed. https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... wnload?p=1

If the OP wants any advice on various components on the machine here is a good place to start https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I've always had the basic manual for any bike, even those bought online and in a box. Of the online bought items they were all boxed impeccably with protection where needed to avoid rubbing, scratching etc in transit. I'd have thought for the OPto just contact the supplier and request it, or if a popular brand go online. Although a supplied manual may not be like a zinn book, it does give you the essentials to get up and running safely. This is no different to the manual for your car, its basic but has the essentials, its not a workshop manual.

I always feel that people are vilified for not buying from the obligatory LBS but if they don't stock the brand of interest or their pricing is too inflexible why not buy online. To turn away a bike for service etc because it's too low down what is considered a bicycle seems a little superior. It's a bike and it may put food on the table to service it, one day you may want that work.

Also when I buy online quite often I'm buying from an outlet that to someone else is an LBS.... just not mine( i.e. spa cycles ). I've also had some really unpleasant retail experiences in bike shops where you had to draw teeth to try and get them to sell something, no enthusiasm in the least rather than engaging and encouraging. When starting out many bike shops seemed very "club'ish" and not inviting to novices. As someone who can't travel 100's of miles to check out an establishment then online is often the only choice for the bikes I look at, I'm sure I'm not alone.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Mattyfez wrote:I think buying a bike in a box there's a (fair in my view) assumption that the buyer has a good idea of what they are doing and has to take responsibility for checking everything is secure, and not assume the pre assembled parts are all tight.
Someone not familiar with the peculiarities of the bicycle trade might assume (fairly in my view) that a product sold to end users as boxed with some assembly required (but not as a box of parts or a build-your-own kit) would include all necessary instructions to enable an average adult to get it safely assembled and properly functional. In the absence of contrary instructions people expect most products they buy to be correctly adjusted from the factory. Now there might be an argument that bicycles are a different matter. In that case it should be made absolutely clear - and it usually is not - that boxed bikes are not suitable for sale to people who are not experienced with the workings of bicycles.
Last edited by AdamS on 31 Oct 2017, 11:03am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Islabikes come with clear instructions for everything that you need to do to get the bike-in-the-box ready to ride and with the necessary tools.
=================================================================

PS

Here's an example. (Note that it's model specific, not just vague safety warnings about the dangers of peeing into the wind

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/UserContent/ ... %20web.pdf
Last edited by thirdcrank on 31 Oct 2017, 1:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Mattyfez wrote:I think buying a bike in a box there's a (fair in my view) assumption that the buyer has a good idea of what they are doing and has to take responsibility for checking everything is secure, and not assume the pre assembled parts are all tight.

Although I did buy a boxed bike from Halfords last year as it was a bargain and an end of line model so there was no more stock, I seem to remember having to sign that I was happy to self assemble, so I guess that's to cover them in the event something dropped off and caused injury /damage.

To be honest even on a prebuilt bike I'd go over everything to ensure all is in order and nothing loose for my own peace of mind.

Indeed. I bought an Aluminium MTB from Halfords for £70 - after trying the demo one for sale said "I'll have one" the assistant went out the back and brought it out (all shrink wrapped), and then said "it'll be a while for us to assemble it" to which I said, 'I'll take it like that, as it won't get damaged in the car!' He was a bit bemused, but accepted that was what I wanted (I didn't have to sign, but it was 11 years ago). It even had a £20 free voucher deal, so I got 3 inner tubes, a can of oil and a very overpriced pump and the bike for £71 :P . I used it for 8 years then passed it on to a worthy youngster.