retailer responsibility to provide instructions?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: retailer responsibility to provide instructions?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Let me take a flying guess that OP's fitted what's necessary, but that something else that came pre-built, as it were, has caused an issue.

OP, when you come back, could you explain more about the issue please.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think the OP is talking about safety, I would of thought a basic check list with diagrams would be a minimum, unless part assembled bikes are exempt.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-ma ... ctions.htm

"New products must be accompanied by information, most often in the form of an Instruction Manual. All European product safety Directives require information to be made available to end users to enable the safe use of products"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/product-lia ... safety-law

Edited-
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libr ... egulations

"Since the 2010 revision, the expression “bicycle” now includes a substantially complete vehicle (whether or not assembled) even if one or more parts are omitted. This closed the loophole by which retailers used to dodge this regulation by not including pedals."

"A bike that is sold fully assembled must come exactly so, with all these things fitted as described. But a bike that is sold as a kit, or with some parts un-assembled (most likely items 2 to 6 above), merely has to be capable of being assembled like so. In that case it must come with assembly instructions plus any special tools."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I can't remember exactly now, but I think any "kit" bikes I have bought have arrived more or less complete except for the attachment of pedals and positioning of handlebars. IIRC there were instructions and allen key/spanner included for this complying with NA's links. However the included instructions weren't a "manual", but no doubt there were the usual safety instructions like "do not ride it off a cliff edge" :roll: :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Only bought one bike online and it came very well packed. It was a planetx bike. It needed pedals fitted (I'd put my own on anyway) and the handlebars twisted round to the correct position. Even the saddle height was right, I'm not kidding, it was quite high up just where I would put it.

Every component was adjusted correctly. The gears were perfectly setup as were the brakes. In fact after a year of use, and a check up by my lbs, I had to take it to a second lbs to put it right. Imagine planetx got the bike perfectly set up then boxed it which then came out exactly as the retailer had set it up. Something my lbs couldn't do without the boxing and shipping part.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

When I was club secretary and had my e-mail address on the website I received a request to help build a boxed mail order bike. The purchaser was a solicitor with absolutely no mechanical skills. It took me all of 15 minutes and he gave me a generous donation for our local air ambulance. :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Back to the OP's question.
kazzal82 wrote:hi, I am hoping for some advice from anyone that can help me. I am trying to find out if it is a retailers responsibility to ensure a manual is provided with a bicycle that is delivered to my home address. The bike was delivered boxed and half built. The only things that needed adding were the peddles, seat, handle bars and front wheel. Without a manual provided I was unaware that any of the already built items needed further checks. This information was not provided in the box nor in the conformation email after purchase. Should I have been told about additional checks.?

Any hekp with this would be great

Thanks

K

Maybe substitute "manual" with "assembly instructions", which the product should have!

Both the seller and maker can be liable, try the seller first.
I would of thought that the seller should by law not sell goods that can be unsafe, whether sold complete or part complete assembled.
The contract is with the seller.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

OP hasn't been back since they posted
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Bonefishblues wrote:OP hasn't been back since they posted

As is usually the case when the first post is implying some wrong doing :lol:
pliptrot

Re: Any advice please

Post by pliptrot »

531colin wrote:Every time I buy a bag of cement, it comes with full instructions on how to build a house
.......saucepans have instructions how to cook any meal your heart desires

Why is it only bicycles that attract this level of stupidity?

Anybody fancy writing a full set of instructions, on the lines of "Everything you will ever need to know about bicycles"....?
Or scissors, even?

.....and yes, I know he is only looking for instructions which say...."Other bits of the bicycle may need attention"....but the next questions are always "which bits, and what attention".
The best thing I have read on here,ever.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.
drossall

Post by drossall »

It's a problem. Putting a bike together and knowing it's right means being able to spot odd stuff, such as misaligned brake blocks, forks the wrong way round, gears that aren't quite right, and so on. The kind of join-the-dots manual you get with a clock radio doesn't really work for that.

Selling bikes mail order to people who wouldn't trust a shop (however good) to do it is one thing. Selling them to people who may well be able to learn mechanics quickly, but are starting out on something that needs checking all over, with an eye that can spot problems, is another.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

pliptrot wrote:
531colin wrote:Every time I buy a bag of cement, it comes with full instructions on how to build a house

Anybody fancy writing a full set of instructions, on the lines of "Everything you will ever need to know about bicycles"....?
Or scissors, even?

.....and yes, I know he is only looking for instructions which say...."Other bits of the bicycle may need attention"....but the next questions are always "which bits, and what attention".

Totally agree... why buy an Airfix kit and expect to fly away on holiday ...... common sense from 531colin ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

landsurfer wrote:
pliptrot wrote:

Or scissors, even?

Totally agree... why buy an Airfix kit and expect to fly away on holiday ...... common sense from 531colin ....
But on the other hand many things are supplied as kits with assembly instructions. The last kit I assembled was a wooden plant container MrsF bought. (She helped but didn't feel entirely confident or able to do it herself). The instructions were very good. :)
I don't peddle bikes.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

MikeF wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
pliptrot wrote:The best thing I have read on here,ever.

But on the other hand many things are supplied as kits with assembly instructions. The last kit I assembled was a wooden plant container MrsF bought. (She helped but didn't feel entirely confident or able to do it herself). The instructions were very good. :)

They are supplied as kits not to benefit the recipient but reduce costs at the manufacturer .. I have done battle with IKEA furniture and have no doubt..at all .. That there is a fully funded department in Sweden that are paid to laugh at the customers efforts at assembling their products.
Our local papers advertise the services of folk trained in the way of the flat pack !

If you are not able to assemble a bicycle from its component parts why buy one in kit form !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Well it wasn't an IKEA plant container, and it went together exactly as per the instructions; all parts fitted well. If something is poorly designed then so be it. Buyer beware. However preassembled bikes usually (I think) are packaged without pedals attached and handlebars turned sideways. They should be/are usually supplied with instructions how to install these. There are probably the usual H&S instructions as well.
I don't peddle bikes.