Beginner needs saddle advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Re: Beginner needs saddle advice

Post by The utility cyclist »

Taking the viewpoint of 'suck it and see' or just put up with it as some have suggested is likely to be damaging to your health, DO NOT IGNORE YOUR BODY/PAIN! Do not put up with it or persevere, take advice from a good shop or if possible join a club and maybe try some differing ones out.

Graham (Moderator) deleting an opinion which highlights incorrect advice that can have long and short term negative consequences to health is wrong, you ignore/turn a blind eye to other posters who seemingly are untouchable on this forum when they make pithy comments or derogatory remarks about others viewpoints intended to get a rise, yet blatantly attack me yet again for pointing out really bad advice! :roll:
London Lad

Post by London Lad »

Thanks all for the advice. It's been great to hear so many opinions in a way as I have a list of things to now try.

As an update, I went to a shop the other day and they 'measured' me, to then say I would be better off with a different saddle type. They then suggested I buy one they had for £130 (surprise surprise). I've found similar online for less than 30 so plan to try that along with other suggestions re, tyre pressure, weight, position, saddle adjustments and perseverance.

Will let you know how it get on.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

London Lad wrote:Thanks all for the advice. It's been great to hear so many opinions in a way as I have a list of things to now try.

As an update, I went to a shop the other day and they 'measured' me, to then say I would be better off with a different saddle type. They then suggested I buy one they had for £130 (surprise surprise). I've found similar online for less than 30 so plan to try that along with other suggestions re, tyre pressure, weight, position, saddle adjustments and perseverance.

Will let you know how it get on.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

well personally I would say they should have had a sample saddle for you to borrow and try for a couple of weeks, or at least you could take the name of the saddle away and find a shop that does this service.... before you fork out some pennies.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

A few years ago now I bought a padded seat cover from Decathlon which I used while breaking in a new Brooks saddle
They may still sell them or maybe Amazon may have same. Just a cover that slips over the saddle but has some extra padding
(foam or something I cannot remember)

Worked OK but had to ditch while on tour when it got wet - didn't dry out quick enough
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Saddle position is just as important as saddle type. If the saddle is too high your hips will rock and can cause soreness. If it's too low more of your bum will take more of your weight than legs. Road bike saddles seem to be set too high rather than too low. Then there's fore and aft position. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I bought a Brooks C17 saddle for my day ride (as opposed to touring) bike. I find it much better than the plastic padded thing that came with the bike that I sort of got used to.
I bought the it from Amazon and didn't realize until it was too late to send it back that I'd got a ladies' model the C17s!
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
mjr

Post by mjr »

Isn't C17s just s for short? It's thought that shorter saddles fit women better but it's not an absolute rule.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:Isn't C17s just s for short? It's thought that shorter saddles fit women better but it's not an absolute rule.

I imagine the short ones are that way to prevent them catching on skirts. So not necessary for women who don't cycle in skirts. But there is no reason for a man to reject a short saddle if it actually works. I suspect a short Brooks saddle might have less spring than a normal length one.
Last edited by pwa on 3 Nov 2017, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:Isn't C17s just s for short? It's thought that shorter saddles fit women better but it's not an absolute rule.

I imagine the short ones are that way to prevent them catching on skirts. So not necessary for women who don't cycle in skirts. But there is no reason for a man to reject a short saddle if it actually works. I suspect a short Brooks saddle might have less spring than a normal length one.

My own C17 Carved (with a slot cut out) is okay in a firmish way with normal undies on 10 mile rides but I do prefer it with padded undies on longer rides.
JohnW

Re: Beginner Road Bike

Post by JohnW »

Vorpal wrote:The first thig I would do is ditch the rucksack & carry the laptop on the bike. That's extra weight that is likely contributing to (and possibly causing) the problem.

You can use a seat post mounted rack, a large saddle bag, or some other arrangment; I'm sure others will be along with suggestions.

Following that, the second thing I'd do is forget any thoughts about a padded saddle, and take your bike back to the bike shop you bought it from and get them to position your saddle correctly for you - having your saddle correctly positioned for yourself is as important as saddle choice, and correct positioning will probably solve your problem..........assuming that your saddle is the correct width for you, and not cheapo rubbish to start with.

From my own, personal experience I've found over many years that a properly positioned Brooks leather saddle is perfectly comfortable.