NO LYCRA PLEASE

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Geoff.D

Re: NO LYCRA PLEASE

Post by Geoff.D »

boris wrote:Mostly I wear ronhill trackster classic which are not embarassingly form-fitting and ideal for audax style riding.

+1
I like them for comfort and, as Boris says, they're not form fitting. I sometimes slip them on when I arrive in a town/village and expect to be mooching around. They're good in dry, cold weather.
BUT.....they do hold water and can be cold in rain. So I also have some lightweight over trousers, just in case.

For many years I had a pair of slacks by Rohan. They weren't specifically for cycling, but were lightweight, wind resistant and quick drying. Sadly they got lost in the back of the washing machine, along with many single socks!!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

So what i'm looking for are are a pair of lightweight trousers, rip-stop etc, with a removable cycling liner incorporating mesh and pad.
So many companies make shorts like this for MTB etc.
I have 2 pairs from Decathlon.
But no trousers ... :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
boris

Post by boris »

liner shorts, or just some very thin and flimsy padded shorts.
I am still using some lusso shorts from 1990 with chammy-style inserts as liners to avoid the nappy look with normal trousers.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

BruceJ wrote:SWRVE is worth looking at - not cheap, but 3/4 trousers I have are excellent quality.

+1
Not cheap but I've been using the same pair for over 2 years every day, and no signs of real wear!
Plus they are very comfy and with excellent fit (no bum exposed to get people laughing at you), and they dry quick.

I've ditched blue jeans 25yrs ago and never missed to have my legs wrapped in cardboard-like fabric. Gimme corduroys anytime, though not good for cycling on a bike that has a bit of sportive position.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

landsurfer wrote:So what i'm looking for are are a pair of lightweight trousers, rip-stop etc, with a removable cycling liner incorporating mesh and pad.
So many companies make shorts like this for MTB etc.
I have 2 pairs from Decathlon.
But no trousers ... :(

you can buy the "liner" on its own
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

I've got Endura Humvee trousers, which are very good. I usually wear Humvee shorts or 3/4s, which I find very comfy so thought I'd try the trousers for winter. If I recall the trousers don't come supplied with a liner but have the fixings in the waist band.
Luckily I have 2 pairs of shorts and a pair of 3/4s which all came supplied with padded liner shorts so I didn't have to buy another pair ! 8)
atoz

Post by atoz »

mjr wrote:
atoz wrote:I take the point about shopping, but I wear the stuff anyway. After all you see women shopping in workout/gym kit, so why can't I do a bit of shopping in the lycra? As for the odd comment- who cares? That's their hangup, not mine.

No no, it's really your hangup that people are making odd comments about :lol:

No hangups- it's just easier from the point of view of being organised and washing things out.

As I said before, women in workout kit don't get the same crap- at least I think not, you never know. In any case, "athleisure" is on trend.
Abu Milhem

Post by Abu Milhem »

atoz wrote:
malvandy wrote:I have been wearing Lycra ever since it became commercially available to joe public. It is comfortable & fit for purpose when it comes to cycling along with a few other activities/sports, no problem there. I have found it unsuitable to walk around in lycra whilst shopping or visiting a café. Just to feel more comfortable & to avoid any sniggering glances I slip on a pair of over trousers or jogging bottoms. The hunt is on to find something I can wear that is comfortable to cycle with & look like normal clothing . Bearing in mind winter is coming on so long trousers would be needed for now. In summer I can wear my MTB baggies.
What do you guys wear when not clad in Lycra.

I've been wearing the stuff since the early 1980's. Given I am now in my fifties and can still get away with wearing it, I'm not likely to stop now.

You see people trying to conceal the lycra by wearing baggies over the top, but it looks naff.

I take the point about shopping, but I wear the stuff anyway. After all you see women shopping in workout/gym kit, so why can't I do a bit of shopping in the lycra? As for the odd comment- who cares? That's their hangup, not mine.

Thank goodness for a sensible comment. Why get on a lightweight bike in the most appropriate clothes and then carry around a pannier with clothes to change into?
Doing all this panders to dreadful people who would seek to exclude people that don't fit their view of how people should be. It is odious body fascism and shouldn't be encouraged by cyclists or anyone else for that matter. Wear what you like and ignore the repulsiveness of others' attitudes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Women sometimes get verbal abuse or harassment for wearing lycra/gym clothes, but other than that, I agree.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cuddly Ocelot

Post by Cuddly Ocelot »

Taking into account the type of cycling I do, fairly short local rides, I have little need for lycra. Instead I wear a Paramo Reversable Shirt (winter); Tudor York Jacket and tights. For my needs they are more than adequate. Were I to graduate to other types of cycling then lycra would be a consideration.
Our streets are littered with expensive, rotting and polluting tin cans obstructing the free passage of pedestrians, horses, cyclists and motor vehicles
malvandy

Post by malvandy »

With reference to Abu Milhem's comments. I have only recently taken up the touring theme after many years as a Roadie, wearing Lycra was the most comfortable & appropriate clothing for that activity. Touring requires different attire . At the moment I wear both Lycra & other stuff I am still in the process of find trying out. All suggestions & advice are welcome. So far thanks to all for the positive responses.