NO LYCRA PLEASE

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GrumpyGit

Re: NO LYCRA PLEASE

Post by GrumpyGit »

malvandy wrote:I have been wearing Lycra ever since it became commercially available to joe public. It is comfortable & fit for purpose when it comes to cycling along with a few other activities/sports, no problem there. I have found it unsuitable to walk around in lycra whilst shopping or visiting a café. Just to feel more comfortable & to avoid any sniggering glances I slip on a pair of over trousers or jogging bottoms. The hunt is on to find something I can wear that is comfortable to cycle with & look like normal clothing . Bearing in mind winter is coming on so long trousers would be needed for now. In summer I can wear my MTB baggies.
What do you guys wear when not clad in Lycra.

It's Lycra Jim, but not as we know it!

I wear these Decathlon rock climbing jeans for cycling all the time. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-climbi ... ml#v633130 they're nicely stretchy and have a diamond shaped panel in the crotch so there's no hard seam to cause discomfort.

Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Only cycle as an excuse to wear lycra .... mmmmmm
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I actually prefer some of the current m&s chino lines to the cycling ones, although only Blue Harbour is at all shower proof. Other than that, I've some Rohan and Crag hoppers that are good.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

M&S cycling chinos

I bought a pair for £10 when a forum item drew attention to the M&S sale.

Glad I didn't pay full price, the material is a bit on the stiff side and is fraying badly around the ankle hems. The press studs that do away with the need for cycle clips are too close together and don't take up enough slack.
malvandy

Post by malvandy »

Decathlon Rock climbing jeans is about the only option I have at this time & the nearest Decathlon is about 80ks. Best part is I can actually try for size. Thanks for all the info. Some of the stuff is at eye watering prices as good as it may be.
PH

Post by PH »

I gave up on the M&S Chinos, they kept a bit of water off but once they're wet through they stay that way for a long time and are less comfortable wet than most none water resistant trousers I've cycled in.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Another vote for Craghopper Kiwi Pro stretch longs. I find them very hard wearing and they dry off quickly if wet. As already mentioned, the material is thin, but if it's cold I just wear Rainlegs on top to keep my knees warm.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

go all retro and wear Ron Hills with hi tec trainers and a fleece
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

malvandy wrote:Decathlon Rock climbing jeans is about the only option I have at this time & the nearest Decathlon is about 80ks. Best part is I can actually try for size. Thanks for all the info. Some of the stuff is at eye watering prices as good as it may be.

You're welcome!

Being a grumpy old git I refuse to dress up like a cross between Bob the Builder and a Power Ranger just to ride my bike to the shops or pub 8)
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

malvandy wrote:I have been wearing Lycra ever since it became commercially available to joe public. It is comfortable & fit for purpose when it comes to cycling along with a few other activities/sports, no problem there. I have found it unsuitable to walk around in lycra whilst shopping or visiting a café. Just to feel more comfortable & to avoid any sniggering glances I slip on a pair of over trousers or jogging bottoms. The hunt is on to find something I can wear that is comfortable to cycle with & look like normal clothing . Bearing in mind winter is coming on so long trousers would be needed for now. In summer I can wear my MTB baggies.

Try Corinne Dennis's clothes web-site. I particularly find her Men's Touring Shorts particularly comfortable and suitable for cycling, and they look like normal shorts off the bike.................and I'm a chap who feels like a clown in baggy MTB shorts.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

LollyKat wrote:Another vote for Craghopper Kiwi Pro stretch longs. I find them very hard wearing and they dry off quickly if wet. As already mentioned, the material is thin, but if it's cold I just wear Rainlegs on top to keep my knees warm.

+1,also Ronhill Bikesters.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Thysville

Post by Thysville »

Now officially an OAP I do quite a bit of Volunteer Work (keeps the brain going and means that I get out of bed in the morning!) but I like to commute to the various places on my cycles - why should I have to pay for fuel to use my car...
However, whilst I am not the prettiest of sights in Lycra I find it a lot more comfortable to wear and I can also come home the long way round if I want to!
I have taken to carrying in my light cycle back pack a light track suit of the more fashion sort like 'football dads' wear and found that clothing together with some light trainer shoes quite acceptable for taking people for hospital appointments and ferrying visually impaired youngsters to their evening activities. The loose fitting tracksuits go on over the Lycra and are easily washable with the cycle clothing. If it is very cold or I am feeling lazy, I even cycle back home wearing it as an extra outer shell. As a fair bit of the Volunteer work is 'driving', my helmet, cycle shoes and gloves go into the boot/roof locker of the allocated car/minibus. Last winter I was even carrying spare socks just in case I got wet feet but it has not happened yet. If it is wet then I use the touring cycle with mudguards to keep me cleaner and the TT bike in fine weather.
atoz

Post by atoz »

I've been wearing the stuff since the early 1980's. Given I am now in my fifties and can still get away with wearing it, I'm not likely to stop now.

You see people trying to conceal the lycra by wearing baggies over the top, but it looks naff.

I take the point about shopping, but I wear the stuff anyway. After all you see women shopping in workout/gym kit, so why can't I do a bit of shopping in the lycra? As for the odd comment- who cares? That's their hangup, not mine.
BruceJ

Post by BruceJ »

SWRVE is worth looking at - not cheap, but 3/4 trousers I have are excellent quality.
mjr

Post by mjr »

atoz wrote:I take the point about shopping, but I wear the stuff anyway. After all you see women shopping in workout/gym kit, so why can't I do a bit of shopping in the lycra? As for the odd comment- who cares? That's their hangup, not mine.

No no, it's really your hangup that people are making odd comments about :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.