Patch recommendation...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gxaustin

Re: Patch recommendation...

Post by gxaustin »

He did say that hardly any were his own...

Sorry did I say otherwise?
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

gloomyandy wrote:Since we are talking patches... What are you supposed to do with the clear backing/topping that is on many of them? It can be very hard to remove it without ruining the feathered edge, are you supposed to? Is there some trick to it?

Do nothing with it, leave it in place.

It is there to stop any residual glue sticking the tube to the inside of the tyre and is far better than messing about with french chalk as we did in days of old.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Colin_P wrote: ...It is there to stop any residual glue sticking the tube to the inside of the tyre ....

it can be used that way but that isn't why it is there. The manufacturers recommend that you remove it and design it to be removed.

A design feature of feather-edged patches is that they stretch with the tube to some extent; if you leave the backing on, they cannot (for better or worse) stretch at all.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

I told you, use the Weldtite strip :lol:

Actual backing comes off relatively easily - just poke at a corner of the patch that you cut - and no nonsense with a clear covering.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I got some “VeloChampion Bike Puncture Repair Patches Self-Adhesive Kit Pack of 6” whilst this thread was young, and just used one on MiniBob’s front tyre (wierd wire fragment tiny puncture).
The edges aren’t feathered, which means that they are *much* easier to peel from their backing, and it stuck very well afaict.
The patches are quite thick, I’ll grab the calipers at some point, but it looks like that is just absorbed by the general trye deflection.

Still waiting on ‘home’ patches to be delivered...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

drossall wrote:I may be the only one, but I swear by the Weldtite strip that you cut into your own pieces. Sticks better than anything I know.

You're not the only one. I've never had any problem with it, so I've never seen the need to use anything else.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Raleigh Steve

Post by Raleigh Steve »

Brucey wrote:
Colin_P wrote: ...It is there to stop any residual glue sticking the tube to the inside of the tyre ....

it can be used that way but that isn't why it is there. The manufacturers recommend that you remove it and design it to be removed.

A design feature of feather-edged patches is that they stretch with the tube to some extent; if you leave the backing on, they cannot (for better or worse) stretch at all.

cheers

If I'm at home I just prick the backing with something sharp and then it easily peels off from the middle. If I'm out I normally just leave it if it doesn't split.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I like the Tip-Top patches & I find I've had enough kits free in goodie bags to more than keep pace with the 0-3 patches I need per year. The glue can be slightly more of a problem - I try to keep an unopened one in the repair kit as well as one that has previously been opened in case the open one has dried up since last use.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

used Wilkos patch kits for years. no probs there.
rjb

Post by rjb »

RickH wrote:I like the Tip-Top patches & I find I've had enough kits free in goodie bags to more than keep pace with the 0-3 patches I need per year. The glue can be slightly more of a problem - I try to keep an unopened one in the repair kit as well as one that has previously been opened in case the open one has dried up since last use.

I got fed up of finding the rubber solution had dried up making it unusable. I now open the tube at the sealed end and carefully refold the end after use. Someone on the forum recommended this as a tip to keeping the rubber solution usable for longer, and it works. :wink:

Sometimes the backing paper, polythene gets allmost impossible to remove, If that happens i leave it until the next visit when it can be easier to remove.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

[XAP]Bob wrote:As the title. Am now out of patches...
I have some preference towards having some of the 'sticker' type for roadside use, but am happy to have a more involved patch method at home.

What brands do people recommend?

Glueless patches (Lezyne or Park Tool) for the tool-bag to carry with you, traditional Tip-Top patches to glue for the repairs at home.

The reason for using glueless on the road, is that you will not have the problem of dried glue. Traditional patches to be glued, do work very well and the repair lasts forever, but once you've opened the glue (or even if not opened, simply has been there for years) you may find out on the next puncture in need of mending, that the glue has dried up and you're left in trouble!
Glueless patches would slowly loose pressure over time, say 10psi over a week, but ain;t the end of the world: they do their job of bringing you home. You could always warm-up the glueless patch and do a permanent repair with a traditional glued patch.

To me it really makes sense to have glueless patches in the toolbag on the bike, they are a no-brainer: quickly rub the area to mend, slap the patch, press firmly, refit the inner tube and pump it up. Can't beat that.
I can confirm that Lezyne patches would also mend a hole in Hydrapack reservoirs :idea:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
hemo

Post by hemo »

1+ for the Weldtite strip cheap at a few £££'s on ebay and works without fail all the time, cut it in to sizes to suit your needs.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I've just purchased 48 feather edged round patches from a seller on Amazon for £1.49. Delivered from China in just under a week! Not used any oi them yet but they look pretty good.

Does anyone happen to know if the Park Tool glue-less patches have any sort of lifetime? I've got a couple of packs in my bike bags that must be a few years old now, never had to use them so far (so a good investment then!). But I winder if they become unusable after some period?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

gloomyandy wrote:I've just purchased 48 feather edged round patches from a seller on Amazon for £1.49. Delivered from China in just under a week!

Ditto, more or less: 100 eBay patches and 10 tubes of rubber solution for half nothing. That was a couple of years ago, and I'm still on the first tube: if you expel all the air before capping it doesn't deteriorate.

All the same, I'm thinking about the Lezyne Smart patches for use on the road. When it's cold as charity and blowing half a gale, simple is good. Most of my punctures are slow ones, discovered the morning after, so I'll keep the others for the workshop.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Audax67 wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:I: if you expel all the air before capping it doesn't deteriorate.

All the same, I'm thinking about the Lezyne Smart patches for use on the road. When it's cold as charity and blowing half a gale, simple is good. Most of my punctures are slow ones, discovered the morning after, so I'll keep the others for the workshop.

How do you manage that with expelling the air? Sounds tricky.

I think i will stick with rema tip-top.

Very dependable. Some of their patches on my tubes must have lasted 5 to 10 years. I always carry 2 spare tubes so would have to be very unlucky to have to patch on the road.
Sweep