Patch recommendation...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Patch recommendation...

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
Brucey wrote:yep, glueless patches are mostly OK for a get you home, not so good for a permanent repair.
cheers

Is there a technique for removing them to replace with a traditional patch once home?
I used one instant (Park) patch, lasted a couple of thousand miles then peeled enough to leak, took ages to remove then couldn't clean the tube up enough to stick a proper patch on. It's put me off using them, though I still carry a couple in case of need.

No technique that I know. I think it's just easier to replace them after a couple of dozen miles, rather than thousand, before the stuff has completely dried.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

sod all that - do a job once, do it properly.

If you carry two spare tubes it's very rare to have to do any patching at all by the roadside.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:sod all that - do a job once, do it properly.

It depends - instant patches can be much quicker. Sealant cans even quicker than that. It depends whether you're riding alone or how much your fellow riders are willing to wait.

Sweep wrote:If you carry two spare tubes it's very rare to have to do any patching at all by the roadside.

Because the mere act of carrying spare tubes deters the fairy, like donning waterproofs stops it raining?

I wouldn't go switching tubes at the roadside else I'd spend far longer removing/replacing wheels and waving them and a wheel-less bike around than it takes me to apply a patch - but this is a discussion I'm sure I've had before on here with people swearing blind that they can remove a wheel and a whole side of a tyre in half the time it takes to remove a quarter-side of tyre and patch it, although I didn't find it by searching just now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:Because the mere act of carrying spare tubes deters the fairy, like donning waterproofs stops it raining?

er no of course not.

I rarely get punctures in any case as I'm careful about inspecting my tyres for debris befrore any ride of any distance.

I've led loads of rides - our standard advice to folks was to bring spare tubes.

No one ever minded waiting for someone to swap a tube - an opportunity for a natter, and some may (secretly) welcome the breather.

Patience could be tested by folk who had clearly never checked their tyres = that's about it.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

If you carry two spare tubes it's very rare to have to do any patching at all by the roadside.

Well I carry one tube and still can't remember the last time I needed to patch at the roadside, I've done it in the next scheduled cafe or campsite a couple of times. Rare doesn't mean it can't happen, or that you might need a patch to help someone else out, and in certain circumstances speed is of the essence. I've also had and seen several tubes of glue go hard, the one time I've used a park patch it was for that reason and despite having been carried for several years it stuck easily.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote:

Well I carry one tube and still can't remember the last time I needed to patch at the roadside, I've done it in the next scheduled cafe or campsite a couple of times. Rare doesn't mean it can't happen, or that you might need a patch to help someone else out, and in certain circumstances speed is of the essence. I've also had and seen several tubes of glue go hard, the one time I've used a park patch it was for that reason and despite having been carried for several years it stuck easily.

I do carry some weldtite "red devils" but hope not to use them.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:

It depends - instant patches can be much quicker. Sealant cans even quicker than that. It depends whether you're riding alone or how much your fellow riders are willing to wait.

Sweep wrote:If you carry two spare tubes it's very rare to have to do any patching at all by the roadside.

Because the mere act of carrying spare tubes deters the fairy, like donning waterproofs stops it raining?

I wouldn't go switching tubes at the roadside else I'd spend far longer removing/replacing wheels and waving them and a wheel-less bike around than it takes me to apply a patch - but this is a discussion I'm sure I've had before on here with people swearing blind that they can remove a wheel and a whole side of a tyre in half the time it takes to remove a quarter-side of tyre and patch it, although I didn't find it by searching just now.

On Tuesday it took me about ten minutes to replace an inner tube with the bike leaning upside down on a farm gate. I repaired the punctured tube at home, sat in an armchair and it is now one of my pair of spares to take on my next journey. Is ten minutes too long? That is from getting off the bike to getting back on, pumping with a normal pump.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Are use cheap imports 50 for teakwood.
Just remember which side goes on to the tube.
Most reliable method I found is to clean the tube with Abrasive paper.
Prime the surface with adhesive, let’s try for five minutes, reapply and he says let’s try for one minute exactly reply patch.

I carried two tubes and a puncher outfit.
Replacing she is ultra reliable that’s tube not she.
If only part removal of tube how do you check from multiple countries that’s multiple conscious try again that’s multiple punctures, ha ha.

It’s not rocket science.

(Text by voice? Must be my cold)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:[...] Is ten minutes too long? That is from getting off the bike to getting back on, pumping with a normal pump.

I think so sometimes, but we all have different views of how much spare time we have. There are definitely times where taking ten minutes to repair a puncture would have meant I missed a train.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yup there is a conflict between the amount of time you have vs how you are going to fix the puncture.

Regarding quick tube changes this 'depends' too; this can be two minutes or less, if the wheel comes out of bike easily and the tyre comes off the rim easily and the offending object is spotted quickly.

But if it is an IGH wheel with a hub brake and a chaincase, one is not overly tempted by the idea of changing the tube by the roadside, and some other fix is to be preferred.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Biggest headache will always be Not checking for all foreign objects.
Although I have changed tubes in minutes, inflating to pressure sometimes takes longer (co2 no thanks) I normally take my time so that I am not doing it again five minutes down the road!

Late for work.....be prepared.....leave plenty of time........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Yes, if there is one golden rule it is to make sure you have found and dealt with whatever caused the puncture, regardless of the repair technique you prefer.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Rema Tip Top.

I've used them since the mid 80s. Occasionally bought others if I've needed some quickly, but always gone back to Rema as they are the best.
I carry a spare tube on the road, but They are easy to use and reliable.
1. Sand the area around the hole well and all of the area covered by the patch
2. Cover thinly and evenly with the solution and leave to dry
3. Stick on the patch and rub on firmly with back of tyre lever or similar.
4. If possible leave to "cure"

The kits, patches and solution can all be bought easily via fleabay
hondated

Post by hondated »

pete75 wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Brucey wrote:

I end up fixing lots of punctures (hardly any my own BTW) and if I used Tip Top patches it would cost me about £50 a year. The 'thumbs up' ones I mentioned earlier work just as well and cost less than 1/10th the price. The packs I buy also each contain a tube of effective rubber solution, as well as the patches.

cheers

Please tell us where you get them brucey?

I did find the brand online but not really in convenient packs. Save me digging.

Been using these for a while now. Used in conjunction with the supplied solution they appear to be self vulcanizing which means they stay on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48PCS-Bike-B ... 0706.m4781

Hope your right Pete just ordered some :)
hondated

Post by hondated »

pwa wrote:Had a puncture yesterday, roadside I just put a new tube in. I had patches too, but didn't use them. This morning I took the punctured tube out of the bag and put a standard patch on with glue, sat in an armchair watching Homes Under The Hammer, gave it 20 minutes to set properly, then rolled it, put a band around it, and popped it back into the bag for next time. Done that way there is no faffing with patches at the roadside, and my patches never fail.

I wondered who it was that watched HUTH :lol: