Outside secure storage

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JTT

Outside secure storage

Post by JTT »

Hi, lots of helpful advice on another topic on new hybrid commute bike, now i need somewhere to store it securely.

Will need to be outside and no space in shed etc. Will be in gated house, so reasonably secure, but would like a secure lockable outside store for 1 maybe 2 bikes.

Any recommendations?

Nothing too ugly or the wife will never approve the spend request.

thx
eileithyia

Re: Outside secure storage

Post by eileithyia »

Some might be beyond what you (or your wife will agree to), but this is a link to similar on another forum.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/ind ... pain-cave/
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Lots of secure metal storage bins on the internet - I have a 4 bike one and am so pleased with it I purchased a second for all that stuff that gathers on the garage floor - tents, bulk purchase cat food, a printing press my son purchased on ebay etc etc
JTT

Post by JTT »

Is there anything that meets the more aesthetic requirements than a metal storage bin? Any ideas? Thx
whoof

Post by whoof »

JTT wrote:Is there anything that meets the more aesthetic requirements than a metal storage bin? Any ideas? Thx

Buy a metal storage container and clad it in wood.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The Asgard range has had repeated good reviews on here. I wrote this several years ago:

It's an expensive solution - costing more than a lot of bikes, especially when you add in the cost of the optional extras - but it is an effective solution. One thing's for sure, being located on Leeds Road in Bradford, they won't have any namby-pamby bourgeois ideas about what's secure and what isn't. (The whole company would have been stolen if they did.)

And it's a testament to their understanding of security that they are still in business. :D

How about some climbing plants to disguise it? :wink:
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

an 18mm T&G timber bike store/half shed, something that takes some kicking ideally against the house wall so you can lock it to a wall point, add a simple shed alarm noisemaker. or use half inch ply with thinner t&g on top.

I helped a guy make something that looked like a log store for a wood burner that was quite clever as it looked like it had a side door but in reality the log part slid off on a big runner when you undid the bolt.

I'm considering making something similar for here after a neighbour let me have his dead shed to make log stores out of. bikes behind a log store with a herb garden on the top. the spiders will love it.
JTT

Post by JTT »

crazydave789 wrote:an 18mm T&G timber bike store/half shed, . . . .

Cool, I’d buy one!
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

thirdcrank wrote:The Asgard range has had repeated good reviews on here. I wrote this several years ago:

It's an expensive solution - costing more than a lot of bikes, especially when you add in the cost of the optional extras - but it is an effective solution. One thing's for sure, being located on Leeds Road in Bradford, they won't have any namby-pamby bourgeois ideas about what's secure and what isn't. (The whole company would have been stolen if they did.)

And it's a testament to their understanding of security that they are still in business. :D

How about some climbing plants to disguise it? :wink:

I have an Asgard bike store, they are excellent. Got it to replace a cheaper wooden bike store that was (in spite of annual painting) going rotten. I got one of the stores with an integral base, I have noticed they stay very dry inside (compared to wooden sheds).

TPO