Rear light - rack mount

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Rear light - rack mount

Post by Tangled Metal »

Lost my X2 rear light, it came off the spacerx mount leaving just the mount and rubber band. I need a replacement.

I did like the X2 mounted that way, it fitted horizontally that way in the middle of the rack. I don't have seatpost room because of bag and second light.

I'm thinking two options are cateye x3 and kinetic x2. The first is a direct replacement with a brighter light. The second is similar brightness to my old X2 but has motion detection that switches from flashing to constant light mode when stationary.

I did trust the mounting of these until tonight so what else mounts easily to a tortec expedition rear rack that's about 100 lumens and rechargeable?

Any recommendations?
andrew_s

Re: Rear light - rack mount

Post by andrew_s »

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIJODOG10 ... -100-lumen (It's a rip-off version of the Moon Nebula)
and a mount for the back of the rack
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/moon-r ... aa554.html
drossall

Post by drossall »

SJS always had the best selection of weird and wonderful rear light brackets. Various rack-mounting ones. I don't see all the options there that I have seen before - maybe in other categories?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I don't think mounting a light is the real problem - a Tortec Expedition rack has a standard German light plate on the back, suitable for any rack-mounted dynamo light, or battery version of thereof.

It's the desire for a rechargeable light, that mostly don't exist in anything other than small seatpost lights.
Moon (as above), Cateye, and Smart all have rack fitting versions of their standard mounts, but they need looking for, rather than coming with the light.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

andrew_s wrote:https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIJODOG100/jobsworth-dogstar-retina-busting-100-lumen (It's a rip-off version of the Moon Nebula)
and a mount for the back of the rack
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/moon-r ... aa554.html

The moon belt clip bracket works just as well on the small plate on the rear of a Tortec rack cause that's what I'm using with my Moon Comet light.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What is a good rack mounted battery light?

I've come to the opinion that USB rechargeable, rack mounted lights are rare but battery ones are more numerous. I might go back to one rechargeable and one battery at the rear again.

The question I have is whether there are any as bright as the cateye x series (x2 80 lumens, x3 150 lumens).

If not then what makes do rack mounting rechargeable? With the brackets I suppose. I think cateye and moon are the only ones I know about.
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

Tangled Metal wrote:What is a good rack mounted battery light?

I've come to the opinion that USB rechargeable, rack mounted lights are rare but battery ones are more numerous. I might go back to one rechargeable and one battery at the rear again.

The question I have is whether there are any as bright as the cateye x series (x2 80 lumens, x3 150 lumens).

If not then what makes do rack mounting rechargeable? With the brackets I suppose. I think cateye and moon are the only ones I know about.

I have this Busch & Muller rack mount light on both my Gazelle and my Saracen Hybrid Image https://www.evanscycles.com/busch-mulle ... JMQAvD_BwE

Also if you want to use battery or rechargeable Cat-Eye lights, they do a rear rack mount Image http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-rear-car ... 7996704542
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've got that cateye mount together with the Spacerx mount to take the old version X2 light. It flew off I think when I went over a manhole cover, not even a sunken or bouncy one so it didn't take much to come off the bracket. As far as I can tell there's nothing add bright as the x series lines from cateye. Since I don't trust the elastic band mount of the x series the mount is useless because no other lights are bright enough for me.

Are the B&M lights any good? Are they at bright add the x series, say 80 lumens?
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

Tangled Metal wrote: Are the B&M lights any good? Are they at bright add the x series, say 80 lumens?

It's not going to fry anyone's retinas but conforms to German standards and is perfectly adequate for road use.
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Less than 40 lumens then I guess.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I've had two non-rechargeable cateyes that fit that mount (I have one on my tubus rack), with both they have at some point come apart and I've ended up with just the shell still attached to my rack mount! I now have a cheap USB rechargeable light that fits the mount loosely and so is held in place by two strips of old inner tube! At least it is still there!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have never had an issue with that mount.

Have had with clipping a certain light to my seatpack, but that was only a particular light.

All cateyes are of course rechargeable. Just put rechargeable batteries in them.
Sweep
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

The mount was fine! It was the light itself that came apart, I was left with the section that clips into the mount. I mentioned it was the non-rechargeable to differentiate it from the USB (or whatever) versions that do not split in half to allow batteries to be inserted. It was this split that came apart (twice) on mine and resulted in the loss of the light. It may be that using the rear rack mount results in more vibration of the light and makes it more likely to cause the light to come apart? Who knows, I do know that after losing the first I was very careful to ensure that the light was clipped together firmly when changing the battery in the second, but unfortunately it didn't help!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

It wasn't the rapid light that uses a single AA was it?

Nice light but i have had that happen on one attached to a seat pack.

Nice light, in fact very nice. They discontinued it which i thought bonkers. Just needed a tiny bit of tweaking.
Sweep
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

It was a Rapid 3, so yes sounds like the same light. It was a nice light, pity it didn't stay in one piece!