Recycling of unusable/broken bike parts/frames

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Re: Recycling of unusable/broken bike parts/frames

Post by rmurphy195 »

If bikes were made of lead there's be no problem getting the local scrappie to take them away!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

rmurphy195 wrote:If bikes were made of lead there's be no problem getting the local scrappie to take them away!

The local scavengers/collectors take bikes np, it's just how stuff like inner tubes and tyres are recycled (or not) plus stuff discarded by shops and people who own bikes in general that is a big issue.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Near us is Ceracyclone where one of their many neat tricks is to turn bicycle related rubbish into cool stuff - lamps from spokes, bags woven from inner tubes and so forth. I keep a box for worn out stuff to donate to them.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

NUKe wrote:carbon fibre is plastic of the wrong kind, non recyclable, very much like fibre glass in that respect. East Germany at the point of reunification had a real problem with disposal of unwanted trabant body shells

the trabant was made from expoxy and rags so cotton fibre rather than glass fibre. one reason you could unlock it with a kick

elon musk eat your heart out
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

The utility cyclist wrote: i then cycle down to the tip

Several tips I know have signs barring access to pedestrians on safety grounds, so I've always presumed they'd try to stop me going through on a bike, too. But once through the gates, people are allowed out of their cars to wander around anyway, so the safety rule adds no safety. It could be that they use ANPR to police misuse, so they don't want people arriving without a motor vehicle? The services are contracted out, but I did email one council pointing out that it is discriminatory against people who don't drive or or don't have a car for whatever reason. I think I was told there was a home collection service that I could use, but it cost money.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Abradable Chin wrote:

Several tips I know have signs barring access to pedestrians on safety grounds, so I've always presumed they'd try to stop me going through on a bike, too. But once through the gates, people are allowed out of their cars to wander around anyway, so the safety rule adds no safety. It could be that they use ANPR to police misuse, so they don't want people arriving without a motor vehicle? The services are contracted out, but I did email one council pointing out that it is discriminatory against people who don't drive or or don't have a car for whatever reason. I think I was told there was a home collection service that I could use, but it cost money.

yeah, i just ignore it (the walking sign) what they going to do in any case, forcibly stop someone from bringing in their bits?
I've never had a problem cycling in, I love doing a MGIF on the motons :lol: 8)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Abradable Chin wrote:

You pay council tax :!:

Why do you pay if not to get a fair treatment.
If you were to carry a council tax bill, then they would know who you are...........but make sure its the site manager that's sees your name and address, then if this info is leaked you can point the finger at him.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.