Front lamp bracket.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Front lamp bracket.

Post by Drake »

My son has given me a retro style front lamp.
I would like to have a mounting bracket that I could fit to the headset.
The lamp has a single point bolt through mounting, not seen this type before.
I asked at my LBS, but they couldn't help,the assistant thought he had seen what I wanted, but couldn't remember where.
Any help would be appreciated.
old_windbag

Re: Front lamp bracket.

Post by old_windbag »

I found sjs cycles had a good range of mountings to get ideas from including the headset mounting bracket you describe. Theres a few pages of brackets to look at:-

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=light%20brackets
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Have you a picture of the lamp? Your description doesn't ring any bells :wink: (or add much light) for me.

How retro is retro?

Once upon a time, bike lamp brackets were like the fork-mounted one in this link (SJSC) or the same thing but with a ring intended to fit in the head stack:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-sp ... tery-lamp/

I even have a very old acetylene lamp intended to go on that style of bracket

(I see I've been beaten to it.)
Drake

Post by Drake »

thirdcrank wrote:Have you a picture of the lamp? Your description doesn't ring any bells :wink: (or add much light) for me.

How retro is retro?

Once upon a time, bike lamp brackets were like the fork-mounted one in this link (SJSC) or the same thing but with a ring intended to fit in the head stack:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-sp ... tery-lamp/

I even have a very old acetylene lamp intended to go on that style of bracket

(I see I've been beaten to it.)

Can't send photo's I'm afraid, but I try and described the lamp as best I can.
I believe the lamp is called "torpedo shaped", like the old dynamo lamps.
Best way to described the the mounting point is a small bracket that runs north to south with a bolt hole that would take a but and bolt east to west, if that makes any sense.
I did find similar lamp by a company called "Bobbin", but no bracket.
I need the bracket to fit round the head set because of mudguard issues..
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As nobody else is shedding any light on the subject, my guess is that your light has a bit missing, which is a sort of clamp which was meant to grip the type of standard lamp bracket I linked to above. To get a better idea of whether I'm in broadly the right area, google something like "Miller dynamo lamp" and see if the pictures help.

Although I posted above that the standard bracket would fit a fork boss or a bracket mounted as part of the head stack, there was a version which clamped round the handlebars. There was a time when trendy riders :oops: had their Ever Ready lamp under the middle of their drops. If you could source both the relevant bit of an old dynamo lamp and one of those clamps it might solve your problem. I'd have to say that there were some pretty good reasons why the bike lamps of yesteryear were superseded: they were generally rubbish.

PS Here's a bracket of the type I mean shown on EBay. You would still need the part of the lamp which would clamp onto it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-CLAS ... SwBjdZ72Mn
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Like this?
Beauty will save the world.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Vetus Ossa wrote:Like this?

Yes ! That looks like the very thing.
Where did you find that ?
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Beauty will save the world.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Amazing what you find with the internet. Scroll down to "Front light bracket for spade type" and that's the modern version of what I was describing as the bit needed to fit what was once a standard lamp bracket.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Very manythanks for that.
I'm not the sharpest around the internet. You've only got to see my young grandson shaking his head in dismay to notice that. :roll:
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

If on the other hand it's like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynamo-Front ... true&rt=nc

With the clamp that goes onto the spade-like fixing that in turn fitted onto the boss on the front forks - I have one somewhere if you need it.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !