Shoes For Use With Toeclips And Straps - Exustar?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iainb

Shoes For Use With Toeclips And Straps - Exustar?

Post by iainb »

Hi folks
My wife needs some new shoes for use with clips and straps, any comments on the Exustar Stelvio and how do they come up size wise, she normally takes a 6 . Any advice appreciated
mercalia

Re: Shoes For Use With Toeclips And Straps - Exustar?

Post by mercalia »

Well you realise they are PU coated leather? In my case a bit tight width wise at the start but they do stretch. They should be close fit on new. The toe can be a bit narrow must make sure that the big toe feels free inside and doesnt rub against the inside as the leather there can be tight due to the stitching. Mine after about 4 years now ( of daily incl general pedestrian use ) are nearly worn out - the soles are showing the inner sole but as they have a fibre glass inner I can still use them, the pu coating has stood up well but is wrinkled just where the laces end. A good traditional type shoe. You need to try a number of sizes as the leather is tight at the start. You need to consider the socks you will be using. I chose a close fit in the end and that turned out right. When the sole ribbing has gone can be slippery on concrete etc
drossall

Post by drossall »

I found them a bit thick soled, so they didn't fit in the clips. In the end I found an old pair of my genuine 1980s shoes, and had them resoled. I'll use the Stelvios with SPDs later.

If I needed more, I think I'd look at some of the (expensive) shoes made for the job, now selling for L'Eroica and so on.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

My husband uses Stelvios - the size was true to his normal shoe size (8) though he found them a bit tight at first. He has an unusually high instep that doesn't help. He says they are too chunky to use with traditional Christophe toeclips but are all right with large Zefal plastic ones like these

I use the older discontinued touring model with the even chunkier sole like these ones:

I take size 5 / 38 normally and the 38 Exustars were quite roomy, even though I have a wide foot. I use medium strapless plastic toeclips which work fine, but I needed to add extra spacers when fitting them to get my foot in the right place on the pedal. Large toeclips were too large. I've used them regularly for the last six years, in all weathers, and the PU leather has stood up well.

Recently I tried a size 37 Stelvio but found that although there was enough room in the toe box the shoe was just too short, and the back of it dug into my heel.

We both normally wear hand knitted woollen socks (my late mother-in-law left us with a lifetime supply :) ) but on the rare warm days thin socks are fine, though I occasionally add a thin insole.

As a leisure cyclist I'm not worried by a little slop, but if your wife is wanting maximum efficiency she'd be better with slimmer shoes that fit metal clips properly.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

drossall wrote:I found them a bit thick soled, so they didn't fit in the clips. In the end I found an old pair of my genuine 1980s shoes, and had them resoled. I'll use the Stelvios with SPDs later.

If I needed more, I think I'd look at some of the (expensive) shoes made for the job, now selling for L'Eroica and so on.

which version were they? as there are 2 differnt soles, the later current one is much less chunky
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I tried a pair, but they didn't fit snugly enough over the instep. Liveable with whilst on the bike, but too much heel-lift for walking.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
drossall

Post by drossall »

I think I've tried both. My first pair were bought to use with SPDs. The second pair, with thinner soles, still don't fit Christophe-style clips well, as stated above.
iainb

Post by iainb »

LollyKat wrote:My husband uses Stelvios - the size was true to his normal shoe size (8) though he found them a bit tight at first. He has an unusually high instep that doesn't help. He says they are too chunky to use with traditional Christophe toeclips but are all right with large Zefal plastic ones like these

I use the older discontinued touring model with the even chunkier sole like these ones:

I take size 5 / 38 normally and the 38 Exustars were quite roomy, even though I have a wide foot. I use medium strapless plastic toeclips which work fine, but I needed to add extra spacers when fitting them to get my foot in the right place on the pedal. Large toeclips were too large. I've used them regularly for the last six years, in all weathers, and the PU leather has stood up well.

Recently I tried a size 37 Stelvio but found that although there was enough room in the toe box the shoe was just too short, and the back of it dug into my heel.

We both normally wear hand knitted woollen socks (my late mother-in-law left us with a lifetime supply :) ) but on the rare warm days thin socks are fine, though I occasionally add a thin insole.

As a leisure cyclist I'm not worried by a little slop, but if your wife is wanting maximum efficiency she'd be better with slimmer shoes that fit metal clips properly.

Thanks to all for the input,Not too worried about maximum efficiency, more comfort - she has the straps fairly loose so entry shouldn't be a problem!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The Exustars are pretty stiff to begin with, not just the soles but the leather as well - it does however soften up with use. I'm very pleased with mine and intend to buy another pair to store for the future. :)
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

William Lennon in the Hope valley in Derbyshire do traditional smooth soled cycle shoes for use with toe clips. Around £80 pair.
The website shows them in black, but they made me a nice pair in brown. They are not as sophisticated as some shoes you can buy but they do the job.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

steady eddy wrote:William Lennon in the Hope valley in Derbyshire do traditional smooth soled cycle shoes for use with toe clips. Around £80 pair.
The website shows them in black, but they made me a nice pair in brown. They are not as sophisticated as some shoes you can buy but they do the job.

https://www.rufflander.co.uk/product-category/heritage-footwear/cycle-shoes/
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

I have a pair of the modern smooth soled version OF THE EXUSTAR SP705 STELVIO and use them daily for errands and for days out.
Nominal size, 43. My feet, once narrow, are probably now normal width following fallen arches, obviously fit is something that can only be determined by test.

Only criticism is that there is no stiff toe cap, useful with toe clips to keep the toe box open, and the laces as supplied are too long; someone has forgotten that cycle shoe laces are traditionally short. Smooth, MEANING FLAT WITHOUT LARGE RIDGES soles obviously essential for use with clips.

(EDITED FOR CLARITY)
Last edited by wjhall on 15 Nov 2017, 12:19pm, edited 2 times in total.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Of the Exustars or the Arturos?

Excessively-smooth soles, on the other hand, tend to slip off the pedal in spite of the clip. Ridges are dangerous because they act like shoe plates. What is needed is a surface that is flat but not slippery. There again, that's what you need on walking shoes, too :D