What premium to support LBS?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Stevek76

Re: What premium to support LBS?

Post by Stevek76 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
AdamS wrote:I wonder if there might be something about the way that cycling tends to be a sport or a hobby in the UK. Deciding not to paay a premium does rather depend on knowing what you need to buy online, knowing how to fit it and being willing to spare the time. I'm guessing this is more true of keen UK cyclists than those who cycle in places where utility cycling is more prevalent.

Or the opposite; cycling as a utility means you get bikes and parts from Tesco, next to the car tyres (literally).

Doesn't seem to have happened in the super markets in Bristol so far.

As I've mentioned, in the more central student/hipster/green areas where utility cycling has caught on fairly significantly (despite the council's best effort at useless infrastructure) the lbs sector seems to be doing fairly well. Many of these people can't even do the basics like index gears or adjust brakes.

JohnW wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:Not any more, since we've lost several of my LBS' (One died, one retired, the other vanished).

Probably 'vanished' because on-line outfits had taken his trade and his living away.

I think the national worship of the car probably did far more damage.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pete75 wrote:
JohnW wrote:If Wiggle et al shut down, you'd not notice - but we all notice if an LBS shuts down.

Tens of thousands of people would notice. The bike shop nearest me shut down and I didn't know until someone mentioned it about two years later.

Tens of thousands of people would just go onto another web-site. Two bike shops have closed within distance of me in the last couple of years - and we noticed.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Stevek76 wrote:....................I think the national worship of the car probably did far more damage.

That's another subject, but yes...............the car and it's worshippers do untold damage.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

JohnW wrote:
pete75 wrote:
JohnW wrote:If Wiggle et al shut down, you'd not notice - but we all notice if an LBS shuts down.

Tens of thousands of people would notice. The bike shop nearest me shut down and I didn't know until someone mentioned it about two years later.

Tens of thousands of people would just go onto another web-site. Two bike shops have closed within distance of me in the last couple of years - and we noticed.

But they'd have to notice to do that.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Stevek76 wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:
AdamS wrote:I wonder if there might be something about the way that cycling tends to be a sport or a hobby in the UK. Deciding not to paay a premium does rather depend on knowing what you need to buy online, knowing how to fit it and being willing to spare the time. I'm guessing this is more true of keen UK cyclists than those who cycle in places where utility cycling is more prevalent.

Or the opposite; cycling as a utility means you get bikes and parts from Tesco, next to the car tyres (literally).

Doesn't seem to have happened in the super markets in Bristol so far.

As I've mentioned, in the more central student/hipster/green areas where utility cycling has caught on fairly significantly (despite the council's best effort at useless infrastructure) the lbs sector seems to be doing fairly well. Many of these people can't even do the basics like index gears or adjust brakes.

That's because Bristol's in the UK, where, as we've said, cycling is mainly a sport or leisure activity. There might well be a market for bike parts, accessories, clothing, even bikes, sold in supermarkets in Bristol and a few other UK towns and cities, but overall it's too small a market for them to be bothered with nationally. Compare the German chains, Aldi and Lidl, which have periodic bike stuff sales in the Uk and (so I'm told) sell the same stuff year round in Germany and some other countries.

Agreed the central LBSs seem to be doing well (though the one at the bottom of Park St closed down a few years ago).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

pete75 wrote:

Your LBS likely get their components from Wiggle (or Ribble or someone like that). These large retailers also have wholesale sites.

I'd like to second the points made earlier about advice, humour, conversation et al. Though it depends on the shop, of course; and I think also on how 'serious' they perceive you to be. :?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well here is one soln? Weymouth

One  soln? How to Survive?
One soln? How to Survive?

http://www.tilleysmotorcycles.co.uk/
get them onto a bike then when they are grown up onto a motor bike
meic

Post by meic »

That seemed to be very common in France. You look out for motorcycle showrooms to find bits for your cycle.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:That seemed to be very common in France. You look out for motorcycle showrooms to find bits for your cycle.

Not just France. Here's one I passed in Belgium:
and one I often visit in England:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I was affected by the Brompton recall on bottom brackets. To get it fitted by a Brompton dealer would take me probably 3 days and nearly a couple of hundred pounds in travel and accomodation cost. Yes I could parcel it up and entrust it to some carrier who cannot deliver items to me even when I am at home. Brompton sent me a new bearing set. The local LBS in Oban fitted it for a very reasonable cost at my convenience. I also bought one or two other bits when I was in the shop. All happy but without an LBS where would we be ?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

ambodach wrote:I was affected by the Brompton recall on bottom brackets. To get it fitted by a Brompton dealer would take me probably 3 days and nearly a couple of hundred pounds in travel and accomodation cost. Yes I could parcel it up and entrust it to some carrier who cannot deliver items to me even when I am at home. Brompton sent me a new bearing set. The local LBS in Oban fitted it for a very reasonable cost at my convenience. I also bought one or two other bits when I was in the shop. All happy but without an LBS where would we be ?

Quite.......................
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ambodach wrote:I was affected by the Brompton recall on bottom brackets. To get it fitted by a Brompton dealer would take me probably 3 days and nearly a couple of hundred pounds in travel and accomodation cost. Yes I could parcel it up and entrust it to some carrier who cannot deliver items to me even when I am at home. Brompton sent me a new bearing set. The local LBS in Oban fitted it for a very reasonable cost at my convenience. I also bought one or two other bits when I was in the shop. All happy but without an LBS where would we be ?

Personally I'd have just fitted in once I received it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Yes I probably could have fitted it but just could not be bothered. Besides for a variety of reasons I am not often at home these days for long enough to fit it in and when I am on the road I always have the Brompton with me. Easy to drop it off on the inward leg and collect it on next outgoing one. ( I live on an island ).
atoz

Post by atoz »

I try to support a local LBS who has built my wheels for the last 30 years. He's not out on price and does an excellent job. Because of him I stil can use a reburbished CB Majestic that has an old Sturmey Archer AW rebuilt with 700C rims- not easy when the AW is drilled for 40 H-- ideal for shopping trips and other urban stuff. Only problem is, he doesn't do Vittoria tyres, which I like to use- he does Schwalbe which are not to my taste. So I need to buy online. Clothing is always better online- more choice, especially with colours. And also if you want spares, you don't tend to find them in local cycle shops- pump washers never exist now. But for servicing and building a bike up my LBS is first choice every time.

It's a tough time for cycle shops, and I do my bit. This particular shop is not the nearest, and in fact the nearest shop to me is really a shopfront for the online business it makes most of it's money from. I don't use it as it charges inflated prices. Another shop that is close to me is basically for the racing types with money- they overcharge as well. You also get with some shops, the "women specific bike" bit which is awash with purple and shades of pink. Never occurs to them that this might not be a good USP. A branch of Cycle Surgery not so far away from me was like this. I wonder if this sort of lazy promotion contributed to their financial problems.

If shops were like my LBS more often, they might not make pots of money, but they might just stay in business because they support their customers. Get customer service right and you've a chance. Without it, the big boys will take over completely and the cycling retail business will just become Wiggle or similar. And we don't want it to end up like the retail sports discounters.
cc1085

Post by cc1085 »

Is the online outlet paying the same level of tax as the LBS or are they shifting profits to an offshore tax haven or moving their finances through channels that are designed to eliminate their contribution to your NHS, education,police, roads and all other public services that everyone depends on? Thats the first thing I would ask.