Dog Attack! - Apparently not.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Dog Attack! - Apparently not.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Based on my latest experience with Police, you could wait forever.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Based on my latest experience with Police, you could wait forever.

Yours sounded very nasty indeed - they should act on it.
TopHat'N'Cape1888

Post by TopHat'N'Cape1888 »

fastpedaller wrote:
TopHat'N'Cape1888 wrote:
TrevA wrote:This is where frame fitting pumps come in handy. You can remove it whilst riding along and give the dog a sharp tap with it, that usually does the trick and the dog will desist. If not, then I agree with using the bike as a barrier.

https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2477619 ... -pump.aspx something like this would go a long way :lol:

When I first spoke with the Police about this I was told that this wasn't allowed unless I was being bitten!
I'm still awaiting an update, and when I have a bit more free time I'll contact them again and ask for an update - in a few days' time it will be a year since it first chased me! :(

I really do feel for you, hang in there :( I would never, ever condone something like this but at the end of the day, if you genuinely think you are at risk of being harmed or bitten or worse, then it is an act of self defense. If only dogs could listen to reason!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

TopHat'N'Cape1888 wrote:
fastpedaller wrote:
TopHat'N'Cape1888 wrote:
https://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2477619 ... -pump.aspx something like this would go a long way :lol:

When I first spoke with the Police about this I was told that this wasn't allowed unless I was being bitten!
I'm still awaiting an update, and when I have a bit more free time I'll contact them again and ask for an update - in a few days' time it will be a year since it first chased me! :(

I really do feel for you, hang in there :( I would never, ever condone something like this but at the end of the day, if you genuinely think you are at risk of being harmed or bitten or worse, then it is an act of self defense. If only dogs could listen to reason!

I have to say I'd not want to harm the dog. Apparently the owners rescued the dog (and a few others).... not looking after it very well though! the last time it chased me it was a mile from its home. Maybe I should use an alternative tactic, like try to gain its friendship and lure it away a few miles - that'll teach 'em :lol:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Update....... After sending yet another email I was contacted by the officer who originally saw the owners, and he apologised for not contacting me, but thought his colleague had dealt with the matter :roll:
He said 'we can issue a 'dog incident' form, but "it seems a shame as they seem to be nice people". My observation that as the dog was a mile away from its home the last time it chased me, it had passed a farm where (depending on season) livestock will be out, fell of deaf ears. I almost got to the point of asking whether he thought I (or maybe other cyclists) weren't 'nice people'? or whether people on drugs who seem 'nice and happy' don't get arrested, :lol: .My Wife said that wouldn't have helped my case ......... :oops: I didn't realise 'twas I that was defending myself!
I was informed a few days ago that he'd issued a 'dog incident' form, and the owners had signed it (was there a choice I wonder?), and he again went into the "it's a shame to do it routine" again. He explained that the owners had given me the option of going round to meet the dog and see that it's friendly (crafty eh?) and the officer made no comment when I stated "it's when I'm riding on my bike and he chases me that i'm worried - he may be ok if I'm on foot". So there we have it (until it happens again?) So if its loose again action will (oops.. should) be taken :shock:
I did wonder about slipping the farmer a tenner to use his gun on it - but it really isn't the dogs fault...... It's the nice peoples' fault :wink:
Maybe I should go round on Christmas day to meet the dog? :idea: Comments on a Christmas card please
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Worst cases get less action.
My case, well never was a case, video of being assaulted with a cut (kick from driver) and clear evidence of driver hitting me twice with car :twisted: (I am on foot on a cycle path) means police DO NOTHING...............except "Stern words issued"................blah blah blahhhhhhh......................

Merry Xmas :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Worst cases get less action.

Indeed - The only grumble I've got is with (what appears to be) the officer's attitude - He either thinks it's trivial (ho ho a little dog chase, like on disney cartoons, that very funny?, which I think would be the reaction of many, but I don't expect it of a professional), or he maybe thinks I'm a "cycling evangelist", which I'm not. Maybe he just can't be bothered, as it's minor compared to many other incidences, but when someone is seriously hurt it's too late and the cost in man hours to the Police and Health Service is far greater.
As for your case, I'd be putting some serious pressure on the local Commissioner of Police.
Have a good Christmas, and above all stay safe.