Dog Attack! - Apparently not.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: Dog Attack! - Apparently not.

Post by Bonefishblues »

One of those 'not sure if serious' posts. :?:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Yes, it was said in all seriousness - It wouldn't surprise me if they say "do you wear a helmet?" I've got a feeling I'm going to be 'victim blamed'. Maybe I'm becoming paranoid having read the earlier comments about big G's announcements?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I agree that there's a broader duty here. I simply cannot comprehend an owner of a dog not controlling it. The fact is that if it bites someone, as seems highly likely, then the consequences are that they will be charged with an offence, the dog will be destroyed, and there will be the trauma and harm to the affected person.

I still think that in your situation I would be getting rather strident with the police and dog warden.

Story alert:-
When my granddaughter Abigail was 2 or 3 years old,whilst on holiday walking through Barnstable I was pushing her along in her buggy.
We were passing a cafe with tables outside with people having lunch,Abigail was holding her hand out to the side when a Collie type dog snapped at her very nearly connecting,from under one of the tables.I quickly snatched the buggy and Abigail away to safety,the dog was on a lead so couldn't reach her.It's owner a middle aged lady said "I'm sorry but he doesn't like people" :shock: .I suggested in an understandable irrate fashion that a bit of lead in it's ear is maybe what it needed before someone was seriously injured by her dog's dislike of people :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Scond story alert:-
Whilst riding along a wide shared use towpath close to where I live,I was met by a woman with an Alsation dog,the woman was holding onto it's collar for dear life,the dog on it's hind legs growlling and snapping at me as I rode past.
She shouted "don't stop or he'll 'ave you",I stopped about 10m clear of her and her mad dog and said to her "what if I were a child and your dog grabbed and bit it",there was no reply as she continued to wrestle with the animal.I again offered my advise as to what was best for all concerned. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Make no mistake there are some absolute idiots who own dogs and who have no idea of how to control train or treat their animals.They need no licence or training or anything else FTM,least of all a fully operational brain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm a passionate dog owner and cyclist and I agree with you. It's the owner's complete responsibility. That dog, for instance, should have been muzzled, end of, no debate.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'm a passionate dog owner and cyclist and I agree with you. It's the owner's complete responsibility. That dog, for instance, should have been muzzled, end of, no debate.

But the idiot owners dont think they should and there's nothing no one can do about it.

I'm used to dogs I grew with them ,well trained animals well trained gun dogs that knew there place.
I've just spent two weeks looking after my youngest daughter's Labrador the first week and my eldest daughter's 15 year old blind Border Collie the second,it went home yesterday.
Both dogs are joy to walk(and are kept on a short lead) and look after,totally obedient animals that are trained well,which is more than I can say for some ill trained dogs we've come across whilst out walking.Incredibly thick and stupid owners some of them who talk to their animals as if they were human pleading with them to be obedient :? .
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Yes, a minority of owners seem to abandon reason when it comes to controlling ickle Fang, who has your leg in a death grip.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'm a passionate dog owner and cyclist and I agree with you. It's the owner's complete responsibility. That dog, for instance, should have been muzzled, end of, no debate.

I'm an erstwhile dog owner, and a cyclist. I'm offended and upset by any form of cruelty to animals - I really wouldn't want to harm one in any way. However, particularly in the light of r2's post (above) there must be a point when a spray is justified. I don't know what the law is in that respect.

This is a ridiculous situation for Fastpedallar to be in.

A suggestion would be to put the facts of the matter, and the unsatisfactory responses from police and dog warden into a letter and an e-mail.

Tell them that the facts, and the facts of their response, have been published on a national cycling website and that the letter will be copied to the local newspaper. Get someone else to sign it as a witness. End the letter by telling them that this letter is evidence that they know all about the situation, and that if anyone is injured/worried by the dog they will share in the responsibility for that. Tell them also that, whatever the law, due to their neglect to act, you will take your own self-protection in hand and that if the dog is thereby injured (e.g. by pepper or chemical spray in the eyes) they will be held responsible by virtue of their refusal to take action to protect the public, whilst being in possession of the facts.

Also copy the local RSPCA in, and tell the police/dog warden that you have done so.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Alternatively, let (indeed insist that) the police and dog warden do their jobs.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Bonefishblues wrote:Alternatively, let (indeed insist that) the police and dog warden do their jobs.

Oh absolutely, but they've had a request to do so, and they haven't done, have they?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

JohnW wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Alternatively, let (indeed insist that) the police and dog warden do their jobs.

Oh absolutely, but they've had a request to do so, and they haven't done, have they?

As of last Sunday 19th they (the Police) believed they had done their job and the dog would be kept under control. I don't have any info on whether the Council Dog Warden took any action last November. I'll report back once they contact me ref my email of yesterday's chase.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

fastpedaller wrote:
JohnW wrote:

As of last Sunday 19th they (the Police) believed they had done their job and the dog would be kept under control. I don't have any info on whether the Council Dog Warden took any action last November. I'll report back once they contact me ref my email of yesterday's chase.

I agree, the right approach.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Meanwhile if you're passing the same place a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar in a bidon and a steady aim should see any dog off .
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:Meanwhile if you're passing the same place a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar in a bidon and a steady aim should see any dog off .

Might make the dog mad
People own dogs?
Or dogs own people?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Meanwhile if you're passing the same place a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar in a bidon and a steady aim should see any dog off .

Might make the dog mad

More than likely it'll run the opposite way and learn a lesson in the bargain.

People own dogs?
Or dogs own people?

From some of the antics Ive seen with some owners it's anyone's guess :?
W H Auden
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I had an altercation with a dog in Italy a couple of months ago – dog runs in front of bike, bike hits dog, I hit ground, dog sinks teeth into my arm. Quick trip to pronto soccorso (A&E), five stitches and a week on antibiotics.
What I learned from the incident was that no amount of vinegar, pepper spray, sticks, guns or whatever would have been any use, because the whole event, from when I first saw the dog, to when I stood up and roared at it and it ran off, was over in at most five seconds – there was no time at all to do anything to discourage it.