Dog Attack! - Apparently not.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Dog Attack! - Apparently not.

Post by fastpedaller »

Today, after a very pleasant 50 mile ride, I passed a row of houses where there were 3 dogs loose in the front garden of one of them (no fence). As I progressed I became aware of a snarling white object racing up behind me! I've never been much of a sprinter, and was riding my single-freewheel winter bike 62" gear. I must have hit a good 140 rpm. thought I'd lost him (I'd created a bit of a gap), but he came back at me and the adrenaline got me another few RPM with my 'second wind' and he gave up. This was all witnessed (along with my screaming at him in an attempt to frighten him off) by a lone walker. This walker (who had just reached her house) said "are you ok?, they're a bloody nuisance - I won't go past the house if they're out, I'll have a word with him when I see him and tell him what happened. After the next 2 miles I arrived home and called the Police non-emergency line. Their stance was "It's not a dog attack, as you weren't hurt - it may be a one-off". What I should have done was a 999 call at the time. If I see them loose again call 999. My opinion of "it was an attack, it was only because I managed to escape that I wasn't hurt - he could have bitten me or knocked me off" wasn't valid it seems. I asked if it happens again, what action can I take? If I'm able to take my pump off and wack him. No that wouldn't be on unless he'd bitten me and I was trying to release his jaws! Hmm. Does anyone here know the TRUE legal position, as I suspect the Police are taking the route of least effort? If I was to throw a punch at the dogs owner (not that I intend to) and he managed to dodge it that would still be classed as an assault - so why the "it's only an attack if the dog gets you"? What's the betting that if I see them loose and call 999 they'll say it's not an emergency?
meic

Re: Dog Attack! - Apparently not.

Post by meic »

The Police's interpretation of the law doesnt quite match the government's.
https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

The other option open to you is the council dog warden (if they still have one).
https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/report-a-dog

I had one success through the dog warden about a dog chasing me on the public highway, the owner fenced it in totally after their contacting him.
Yma o Hyd
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Police say see dog warden..................Dog warden says see police.................... :evil:

Perhaps more joy with dog warden as they are definitely under worked.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Username

Post by Username »

Get off your bike and hold it between you and the dog. Spin the pedals around. If the dog tried going for one of em he will get a good smack. Hopefully you may get the dog to trap his tongue or paw in the drivetrain somewhere aswell. Easier said than done tho, I just lose my temper and try to kick the bloody things while I'm still riding (happened once, I missed but so did the dog).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

fastpedaller wrote:Today, after a very pleasant 50 mile ride, I passed a row of houses where there were 3 dogs loose in the front garden of one of them (no fence). As I progressed I became aware of a snarling white object racing up behind me! I've never been much of a sprinter, and was riding my single-freewheel winter bike 62" gear. I must have hit a good 140 rpm. thought I'd lost him (I'd created a bit of a gap), but he came back at me and the adrenaline got me another few RPM with my 'second wind' and he gave up. This was all witnessed (along with my screaming at him in an attempt to frighten him off) by a lone walker. This walker (who had just reached her house) said "are you ok?, they're a bloody nuisance - I won't go past the house if they're out, I'll have a word with him when I see him and tell him what happened. After the next 2 miles I arrived home and called the Police non-emergency line. Their stance was "It's not a dog attack, as you weren't hurt - it may be a one-off". What I should have done was a 999 call at the time. If I see them loose again call 999. My opinion of "it was an attack, it was only because I managed to escape that I wasn't hurt - he could have bitten me or knocked me off" wasn't valid it seems. I asked if it happens again, what action can I take? If I'm able to take my pump off and wack him. No that wouldn't be on unless he'd bitten me and I was trying to release his jaws! Hmm. Does anyone here know the TRUE legal position, as I suspect the Police are taking the route of least effort? If I was to throw a punch at the dogs owner (not that I intend to) and he managed to dodge it that would still be classed as an assault - so why the "it's only an attack if the dog gets you"? What's the betting that if I see them loose and call 999 they'll say it's not an emergency?

I would be escalating this with the Police. This isn't the law, you were clearly put in fear of attack, and there's a witness to say it has happened before.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 20 Nov 2017, 8:55am, edited 1 time in total.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

This is where frame fitting pumps come in handy. You can remove it whilst riding along and give the dog a sharp tap with it, that usually does the trick and the dog will desist. If not, then I agree with using the bike as a barrier.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Google Richard Ballstyne’s Method

Not as friendly as his method of learning to ride a bike, but an equally effective outcome
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

there used to be a fashion for carrying pistols for this very reason from genuine firearms to ones that fired a blank to scare the dog
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Cunobelin wrote:Google Richard Ballstyne’s Method

Not as friendly as his method of learning to ride a bike, but an equally effective outcome

Is this the same Richard Ballentyne that advocates an emergency stop involving turning the bars through 90 degrees and collapsing the front wheel ?

To answer the post I had a similar problem being frequently pursued by a Great Dane.
Police response was that "he probably only wants to play"
I pointed out that even so I could have been knocked off - they did speak to the owner and a secure fence was erected.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

ANTONISH wrote:
To answer the post I had a similar problem being frequently pursued by a Great Dane.
I pointed out that even so I could have been knocked off - they did speak to the owner and a secure fence was erected.

A Great Dane doing that could easily knock a child or elderly person over, which could cause serious injury or worse.
It is clearly not under control, and should be reported, and the report taken seriously.
Dogs are not supposed to behave in such a way as it causes fear or risk to humans. If they do, they are out of control, and that's against the law.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Flinders wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:

A Great Dane doing that could easily knock a child or elderly person over, which could cause serious injury or worse.
It is clearly not under control, and should be reported, and the report taken seriously.
Dogs are not supposed to behave in such a way as it causes fear or risk to humans. If they do, they are out of control, and that's against the law.

I read that as the Police did intervene after the poster insisted.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

If you don't get any joy from police/Council, engage with local Councillors .
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Whoever you contact, make sure you put it in writing. Maybe lay it on a bit - accident waiting to happen, etc. Children in danger. This way you have a record of action or more likely inaction if anything else happens.

You could try a senior police officer and lodge it as a complaint. If no action, then you could follow up with a letter to your MP.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Flinders wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:

I would be a bit wary of a dog weighing 50 kg, otherwise I slow down or stop and talk to the beast, then she realises I am a person, not a shining whirring thing from outer space
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Flinders wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:

I would be a bit wary of a dog weighing 50 kg, otherwise I slow down or stop and talk to the beast, then she realises I am a person, not a shining whirring thing from outer space

A Dane could knock anyone over, never mind the elderly.