About the River Nene (Northampton to the coast)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
martin biggs

Re: About the River Nene (Northampton to the coast)

Post by martin biggs »

pga wrote:Northamptonshire is a wonderful cycling county. I discovered after moving from Manchester over 40 years ago that the riding can be challenging - no big big climbs but not much flat either. There are a few good flattish routes, eg the Brampton Valley Way along the old railway from Northampton to Market Harborough, ideal for family riding with the bonus of a preserved railway en route. Some of the new housing estates to the south of the town have funded cycling routes along the Grand Union Canal. There are no riverside cycling routes on the Nene but reasonable quiet roads are never far away.
Oundle, Uppingham and Stamford should not me missed.

As a resident of Wellingborough i can confirm there is no cycle path along the Nene , yes sections do have a useable path but there is no continual path that i am aware of .

As others have mentioned its not a bad county for cycling and depending where you are looking at you can be on the lanes and quiet roads within minutes .

Feel free to ask any questions
Last edited by martin biggs on 6 Dec 2017, 2:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jurassic2

Post by Jurassic2 »

Some great rides in Northamptonshire https://eastnorthantscycling.weebly.com a few on here.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

One other thing if you're in Northants it's called the Nen, in Cambs and Lincs the Neen.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:One other thing if you're in Northants it's called the Nen, in Cambs and Lincs the Neen.

It's not as simple as that, but it does vary.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:One other thing if you're in Northants it's called the Nen, in Cambs and Lincs the Neen.

It is exactly that - or so I was informed by a former NRA And Environment agency river warden who spent the best part of 30 years working the length of the Nene.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:

It is exactly that - or so I was informed by a former NRA And Environment agency river warden who spent the best part of 30 years working the length of the Nene.

I grew up between Northampton and MK and still have family there, while I'm now living much further down river. It's generally short e near Northampton and if in doubt, short e seems more understood, but please take it from a native, nenn/neen really doesn't follow any government officer's neat rule.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:It's not as simple as that, but it does vary.

I grew up between Northampton and MK and still have family there, while I'm now living much further down river. It's generally short e near Northampton and if in doubt, short e seems more understood, but please take it from a native, nenn/neen really doesn't follow any government officer's neat rule.

No it follows a government officers neen rule.

Government office? - you don't really know what a river warden does do you? It's a fairly manual job and the chap had been a farm worker for years before he took that job. Born and lived for many years in Islip which is on the banks of the Nene. I'd take his word both as a native and a "government officer".
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:Government office? - you don't really know what a river warden does do you?

Yes. And being manual doesn't disqualify it from being a government officer any more than it did orderlies, reeves or highway wardens, later renamed highway area officers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:Government office? - you don't really know what a river warden does do you?

Yes. And being manual doesn't disqualify it from being a government officer any more than it did orderlies, reeves or highway wardens, later renamed highway area officers.

As you seemingly like pedantry, manual workers in local government, civil service etc are not classed as "officers" . Cue frantic web search to see if he can find anything to say they are :lol: