Is this preserved bike shop (museum) a one-off?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Is this preserved bike shop (museum) a one-off?

Post by Brucey »

I was recently alerted to this;

then

now

http://rural-life.org.uk/html/Exhibits/Cycle-shop.html

which looks well worth a visit. Are there other similar places to visit?

Is there a list anywhere of good cycle museums that are worth visiting?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Re: Is this preserved bike shop (museum) a one-off?

Post by pwa »

National Cycle Museum in Llandrindod Wells.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is the cycle museum in Harlow still there?

The museum in Llandrindod is vg

In Nijmegen Holland, national cycle museum with some queer machines, a cycle to go on an overhead track..

Museum of British Road Transport Coventry (lots of cars too)

Many local history museums have an old ordinary and a bit about local cycling history, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hull Streetlife Museum has a good bicycle collection. The rest of the museum is very interesting as well. Hull is worth visiting for a "Museum day" as it has several very good museums all quite close together - Hull & East riding museum, an art gallery, WIlberforce House and, of course, a maritime museum along with an early sixties side trawler, the Arctic Corsair and the Spurn light vessel. All are free entry.

Target Velo describes the bicycle collection thus :-
"Although this is certainly smaller than the National Cycle Museum, we’ve heard rumours that it’s just as great for the true cycling fan, with a rich and rewarding collection that stands out because of the wealth of information provided about the social contexts of the items on display. This includes explaining how bikes have been linked to everything from feminism to wars. "

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page-_p ... ema=PORTAL

On the lines of the OP there's this at the Black Country Museum -mainly motorcycles but the shop also sold bicycles. One of the motorbikes on display is the SUnbeam ridden to 4th place in the 1930 Senior TT.
This is another place that deserves the best part of a day. Last time I went it was about 14 quid but the ticket entitles you to a whole year's worth of entry.

http://www.bclm.co.uk/locations/a-harth ... les/60.htm
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

Thanks for these ideas, folks. I knew about the Llandod one, and have been in the shop in the Black Country museum. Even though I've had several visits to Hull, finding the museums great, I didn't know about this one. I'll certainly search it out next time I'm there.

I found the link to the Museum of Rural Life very interesting. I think I'll have a ride down next summer.

I'm interested in the roles that bicycles have played in our society, not least in emancipating many different groups of people. They were as big a boon to rural life as they were to working people in the cities. They're proving to be invaluable to many people in developing countries around the world. Sometimes, in riding my recumbent trike on reasonably decent roads, or fixating on a maintenance issue, or immersing myself in a project, or drooling over technical innovations, I forget the simplicity of bicycles and their importance to the last 140 years.

Smashing post.

PS
There's a little industrial museum in Nurnburg, which has a bicycle collection.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a big interesting museum in Bad Brueckenau, Germany, I managed to visit it on a business trip :wink:

The museum in Llandrindod is in the former automobile palace, that is progress, +1

Museums come and go, best to check the interweb before travelling
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Is the Landindrod Wells bicycle museum still open? I was there earlier this year and it looked firmly closed
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gxaustin wrote:Is the Landindrod Wells bicycle museum still open? I was there earlier this year and it looked firmly closed

interweb has recent reviews and says the museum is usually open Mon-Fri. Were you there at the weekend by any chance?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

National Cycle Museum in Llandod very much alive, however, it's all Volunteer labour that open the place so need to view the Website to confirm Opening Days which aren't often at weekends.

The Raleigh Collection resides at Brooklands, not a huge collection .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

9494arnold wrote:National Cycle Museum in Llandod very much alive, however, it's all Volunteer labour that open the place so need to view the Website to confirm Opening Days which aren't often at weekends.

The Raleigh Collection resides at Brooklands, not a huge collection .

+1 for Llandrindod, I really want to go back there sometime
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I don't know if they still have the collection but a little bike shop near the crossroads at Carnforth, Lancashire used to have a bike museum in the basement. Interesting bikes including a few limited edition bikes such as the centenary Raleigh bike in, gold given to just 100 key retailers and selected individuals.

They've downsized to half the store frontage recently so might not have the space to show their collection. Google the shop and contact them before passing by our visiting. Mint original choppers, mtbs and a lot of v older ones too.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

interweb has recent reviews and says the museum is usually open Mon-Fri. Were you there at the weekend by any chance?

cheers

Hi Brucey
No, I rode down on Sunday so I had Monday to visit before cycling back on the Tuesday in June.
Maybe it only opens on Monday in the school hols?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Some years ago in a lane somewhere near Perranporth I saw a sign to a cycle museum but didn't get chance to visit it. I wonder if it is still there.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Grandad wrote:Some years ago in a lane somewhere near Perranporth I saw a sign to a cycle museum but didn't get chance to visit it. I wonder if it is still there.

There was a great cycle museum near Camelford (based at the old Camelford Station) until about 10 years ago, but it closed down. The owners never seemed to advertise it, and there wasn't a café or anything although it was quite a way from the town. I think if they'd tried harder it could have been successful.
I don't know of any others on Cornwall. The Camelford one would be about 30 miles from Perranporth; maybe you were in Tintagel ?
Chris F, Cornwall
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I suspect this is a bit out of the way for most forum readers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJAjZakqmKU but this bike shop does have an interesting collection of bikes including a tricycle lawnmower! If you're ever in the Seattle area it's well worth a visit (a pleasant ferry ride from downtown)
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West