Bike Trailer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tigerbiten

Re: Bike Trailer

Post by Tigerbiten »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Think seriously about width? a single child trailer is narrow enough to get places and still more than man enough for a good deal of junk.

Another vote to think about the width you need.
I ride a recumbent trike (ICE Sprint FS+) and pull a large Carry Freedom trailer.
Both are 800mm wide and I find that's the maximum width that will go through most anti-cycling barrier you find on tracks.
Plus a lot of cycle tracks in the UK are ~1 meter wide.
You don't want the trailer wider than the track.

Luck .......... :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Width is a good point. My trailer does not fit through the anti-cycling barriers on some off-road facilities.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
BobSweet

Post by BobSweet »

I have one of these from about 15 ago, much the same design, mine just mounts onto the seat tube. Great for local trips, shopping, delivery etc. Took it 12 miles yesterday, probably it's lonest ever trip. As other have said not light, so not the thing for touring, but for local stuff it is great. Looked where you live, so fairly flat, you will be fine.

bob
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I just use a Large Carry Freedom frame to which I've directly bolted a 100 liter aluminium box.
It weights around 10Kg and it's done around 35k miles in ~7 years.
Being slightly disabled, I find it harder to pack things down to their minimum volume, hence the 100 liter box comes in very handy when on tour as long as I don't try and fill it.
Plus it's so easy just to nip down to a local-ish supermarket and throw a week's worth of shopping in the trailer without worrying about the room needed to carry it home.
Main downside is the total cost of my trailer setup was ~£500 ... :shock:
But worth every penny of it in the long run, just like my bent trike ......... :D
PH

Post by PH »

Friend had a child trailer and a cargo one and felt he was given more room towing the child one, so when the kids outgrew it, he sold the cargo one and adapted the kids.