“Duck’s disease”: help with legwear please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Thornyone

“Duck’s disease”: help with legwear please

Post by Thornyone »

I have ridiculously short legs, which I’ve always found quite embarrassing (why does someone always have to lock up a 27 inch frame right next to my “fairy bike”?), and I find cycle clothing a real problem. I love wearing my shorts, but my cut-off point for comfort is about 8 degrees C. and I cycle all year round. I tend to wear Ronhill bikester type bottoms, which I modify by shortening the stirrup, but even then they aren’t very satisfactory, especially as they seem to stretch with riding. And I find the consequent “Norah Batty” look very off-putting. Ideally I don’t want something too bike-specific, such as plus-fours, rather something fairly discrete.

I wonder if anyone has suggestions for gear which would be more satisfactory. The thing is that though my legs are short, I’m fairly muscular and I’m solidly built. My legs are scaled down “Sir Chris” rather than “Sir Bradley”. Don't let on to anyone else, but my inside leg is 27 inches and waist 33 and I’m 5’ 6” :mrgreen:
Vorpal

Re: “Duck’s disease”: help with legwear please

Post by Vorpal »

Different proportions but similar problem on this thread... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111364
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Thanks Vorpal. I did have a search before posting but missed this, which I’ll study. Definitely not a day for shorts today (-6C right now and expecting snow tomorrow) but I’m still praying for a mildish winter. Managed shorts on Christmas Eve the other year, Heaven :lol:
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Impsport used to do a made to measure service and would do small changes to their standard items, like shortening/lengthening leg lengths, for no or little extra cost. It's been a while since I used them so I don't know if they still do this.

https://shop.impsport.com/cycling/shorts
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Try 3/4 length cycling tights, possibly with longer socks?
eg http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... p-prod9289
or http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dhb- ... prod156702

They won't be ideal, but may be better than full length bunched up.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Simple job with a modern sewing machine to cut full length lycra down and adjust leg shape if need be.
How about shorts with knee warmers?
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Thanks for these suggestions. I don’t really get on with bib tights because my cold weather rides tend to be punctuated with inconveniently frequent “lamp post” stops and easy access to the relevant anatomy is essential. I think I’ll give leg warmers a try initially.