How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iandriver

Re: How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

Post by iandriver »

I've often thought, due to its benefits, cycling should be VAT free. Then introduce cycling road tax at point of sale and spend it on cycle paths. You look at the amount of money the cycling industry generates for the treasury, and we get nothing we didn't pay for and a lot less back.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
drossall

Post by drossall »

Many years ago, the CTC used to publish a booklet to help cyclists to calculate and claim cycling mileage from their employers. Costs came out surprisingly high - I think as much as half of a typical motoring mileage claim. Now that booklet was probably designed to emphasise that cycling isn't free, but it did show that, by the time you add in all the minor spares to be replaced and so on, it can add up.
rjb

Post by rjb »

My biggest bill is for "Fuel". Most tandem rides involve a coffee stop to refuel the stoker. We average 5 rides a week so this adds up to £20/week ie £1000 per year eek!!!!!
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

As little as possible, this year was expensive.
New tyres £22, new chainring £12, new chains (3) £19, New cassette £9
£62 in total, an expensive year for me but cost per mile (5000 a year) it's cheap.
gaz

Post by gaz »

drossall wrote:Many years ago, the CTC used to publish a booklet to help cyclists to calculate and claim cycling mileage from their employers. Costs came out surprisingly high - I think as much as half of a typical motoring mileage claim.

HMRC rates reflect this.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Expensive year, but worth it.

Will have done 4.5k miles by the year end, almost all of it commuting. I had ICE give the trike a decent service, and that cost a few hundred, but they spotted a hairline fracture in a weld and replaced (FOC) a frame section.
Also bought some tools for my Schlumpf drive, some short cranks for the same...

Bought (S/h) a set of tyres that are now in stock, replaced some kids bikes etc.

About a grand, despite buying two new bikes for the kids....

Exceptional value (no gym fees) when compared with a second car.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Graham

Post by Graham »

An uncharacteristic MEGA-spend this year = £941.53p

Resolving the bottom-bracket threads on the Chas Roberts frame was a major factor ( £650 ) :-

Argos Racing Cycles £269 - ream and silver solder new BB sleeve, then respray.
Trains to Bristol £89.70
(My) previous attempts to fix BB problem £52.19
Consequential upgrades & spares £238.96

Was it worth it . . . . . oh, YES. . . Back to silent running on a great bike !!! :D

PS. I'm gradually realising that I cannot spend it once I'm dead :lol:
crossy

Post by crossy »

I wish you hadn’t started this thread as it’s got me to add up my spending this year ouch.

ICE trike 2 x marathon tyres £28, head rest £76, front and rear Dynamo lights, Sturmey Archer hub brake Dynamo, Sineweave Revolution charger £521,

Thorn Raven a good buy at £870 another good buy a Dynamo wheel £35, front Axa light which I can charge things from £65, rear Dynamo light £15, Dynamo connector £4, new tube £3. Rohloff oil change, new gear cables, new brake cables, flat bars, ergo grips and bar ends, brake levers and labour £250. New gloves £15. Basic computer £8.50. Total price of the lot £1890.50. My old Rudge didn’t cost me a penny.

I don’t smoke or drink so i’ve got to spend my money on something. I tell my wife it would cost me more for a gym membership and the bikes save money on wear and tear plus petrol saved on the car as I use the bikes for commuting.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Not much. A few tyres & tubes, new pair of foot covers, couple of pairs of summer gloves, divers cables, tags & end caps and a cheap set of bars. Already had everything else I needed.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Someone else with a large stash of useable reclaimed parts so my 10 miles a year? A Day :lol: is already done before I have retired to the sofa for Xmas :) Confession, run out of any suitable used tyres except pure tractor tread ones, so :? Had to buy new for next year.

Another flaw of spending much on very little miles covered on my refurbished Koga-Miyata, less than 20M :?
Clothes tyres and chains bought in sales, for future projects and years, actual cost is a secret an will remain so' an advantage as I do the accounts :lol:

The Koga will be most used I hope next year to go faster and further, one outing on a pure road bike in 23 years!
I had to look twice doing 26, and thought that's kilometres but no MPH on the flat without trying, small chainwheel, a speed almost unattainable on all my other bikes flat out top gear unless a strong tailwind / downhill.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 10 Dec 2017, 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

More than I'm admitting to (mostly on fancy clothing I don't actually need) but its all given me great enjoyment.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

More than I really want to admit too, but

£500+ new wheels and tyres
£80 new derailleur,cassette, chain
£120 new shoes, pedals
£12 new brake blocks
£25 new front light
£lots - tea and cakes at cafe stops

Sure there's more if I stop and think
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I have no idea how much I can spend in bicycle related stuff. Don't think it's too important anyway: life is about priorities, and I enjoy cycling :D
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Gattonero wrote:I have no idea how much I can spend in bicycle related stuff. Don't think it's too important anyway: life is about priorities, and I enjoy cycling :D

Quite right too but some people are so damn mean they count every quid or even every penny. Mebbe they have ambition to be the richest chap in the churchyard.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Good question....never keep count. Major purchases Brompton c. 800 with bits and pieces, Raleigh Royal c. 250 ditto. Then there's the boughts and solds. Getting on for a couple of grand I guess. Cheap as hobbies AND fitness go. Bikes and cycling were/are my substitute addiction when I gave up the drink over 14 years ago - obviously had I not then I would by now have been dead so impossible to compare, but what I drank then would now cost over 5 grand a year so bikes a bargain!

And less than when I had a few years back into m'cycles - at one point 3 in the garage!

It's only money.....