How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gattonero

Re: How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

Post by Gattonero »

pete75 wrote:
Gattonero wrote:I have no idea how much I can spend in bicycle related stuff. Don't think it's too important anyway: life is about priorities, and I enjoy cycling :D

Quite right too but some people are so damn mean they count every quid or even every penny. Mebbe they have ambition to be the richest chap in the churchyard.

Though some people have to be very careful with money because of family, kid's tuition, mortage and so on; it is also true that some people seems to spend an amazing amount of time trying to fix a derelict £15 freehub, not understanding that money comes and goes but time is the only resource you can never (never!) put in a bottle and save it for the future
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
PH

Post by PH »

Gattonero wrote: it is also true that some people seems to spend an amazing amount of time trying to fix a derelict £15 freehub, not understanding that money comes and goes but time is the only resource you can never (never!) put in a bottle and save it for the future

Those people I know who do this also gain a lot of pleasure doing so, and who are we to put a value on such pleasure? I don't think they lack any understanding at all.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Gattonero wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Gattonero wrote:I have no idea how much I can spend in bicycle related stuff. Don't think it's too important anyway: life is about priorities, and I enjoy cycling :D

Quite right too but some people are so damn mean they count every quid or even every penny. Mebbe they have ambition to be the richest chap in the churchyard.

Though some people have to be very careful with money because of family, kid's tuition, mortage and so on; it is also true that some people seems to spend an amazing amount of time trying to fix a derelict £15 freehub, not understanding that money comes and goes but time is the only resource you can never (never!) put in a bottle and save it for the future

It may simply be they enjoy doing that though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PH wrote:
Gattonero wrote: it is also true that some people seems to spend an amazing amount of time trying to fix a derelict £15 freehub, not understanding that money comes and goes but time is the only resource you can never (never!) put in a bottle and save it for the future

Those people I know who do this also gain a lot of pleasure doing so, and who are we to put a value on such pleasure? I don't think they lack any understanding at all.

+1, I built a wheel once, it was great to learn by doing. Maybe I could have spent cash on a better one but I am glad I did it myself
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rjb wrote:My biggest bill is for "Fuel". Most tandem rides involve a coffee stop to refuel the stoker. We average 5 rides a week so this adds up to £20/week ie £1000 per year eek!!!!!

My bike runs on porridge, very cheap
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Porridge?

Yuck!
Horrible stuff, and I have tried it, I really have.
Give me a good protein-rich breakfast, not any of that porridge stuff.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

PH wrote:

Yes but do it once and quick, don't stick on it.
It's called "flogging a dead horse". Learn how is made if you already have the tools to fix it, it's not a valuable part to begin with.

Cyril Haearn wrote:...
+1, I built a wheel once, it was great to learn by doing. Maybe I could have spent cash on a better one but I am glad I did it myself

Building wheels is most often a useful thing. For a start, the vast majority of the wheels can be works with common tools, and in the same way for many bicycles. Then you have understanding of the basics for a repair on the field, like replacing a spoke is done with a couple of tools that stay in the toolbag, unlikely a repair to a freehub that may involve a vice, drifts/center-punches, big allen keys and so on
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I spent £600 at Spa on a new touring frame and other bits and bobs - brakes, levers, etc.

£300 on front and rear Cycliq combined camera and lights.

Got a Black Friday deal on a Quadlock and spare mount, for mounting my phone on my bars. £55.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Gattonero wrote:....it is also true that some people seems to spend an amazing amount of time trying to fix a derelict £15 freehub...

The main benefit of adjusting freehubs is not that you can bring them back from the dead (although you can do this).
It is that you don't have to put up with free play in the bearings, which even new ones usually have too much of.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

£3100 approx.
2 pair of wheels £1600, a cassette, 3 chains, 4 pair carbon pads, 5 pair std ally padspads, 10 tubes, £140 on tyres, carbon bar, 2 stems, rear d, 4 elite water bottles, spaninga front and rear light, long sleeve jersey, xt pedals, tortec velocity rack.
3x specially made jerseys in my rugby clubs colours
Bike £550
Frameset £250
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Cycling is often considered by non-cyclists as some sort of cheapskate occupation, which I resent. I have to fit a new cassette each year with which I buy two new (cheapish but good) chains. I also replace cables annually, chainrings less often and brake blocks possibly more often. Had a new front wheel and two new tyres too this year, though luckily the pedals I had for last Christmas are still in the box. And then there is the clothing. I like quality clothing. So maybe £200-£300 p.a. on average. I do some 6,000 miles yearly, which is more than I tend to do in my car now I no longer have a 56 mile round commute (and I dread to think what car MOT, servicing, insurance, fuel and capital depreciation add up to). And when a single bus fair for a 4.5 mile journey round here costs me £2.40 (I’m retired but don't qualify for pass and hate buses anyway), cycling is bloody good value, convenient, keeps me fit physically and mentally, and I love it. But no, done properly (i.e. with a safe, well-functioning bike, it is not a dirt cheap pastime :D
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

2 x schwalbe marathon supreme tyres,, ~ £60
1 x pair TENN shorts £14
2x replacement disk rotors £32
2 x set pads £10
pair wheels built by spa £210 (replacement as I hit BIG pothole with rear wheel 32 sp, and wanted a schmidt dyno)
s/h (new) shmidt disc hub £115

total £431 I THINK :roll: but will replace rear cassette and chain in new year,

Plus Coleman Aravis 2 tent £60
down Sleeping bag £50
silk liner £14
prolite mat £52 for when I go cycle camping (hopefully)
Last edited by yostumpy on 10 Dec 2017, 6:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thornyone wrote:Cycling is often considered by non-cyclists as some sort of cheapskate occupation, which I resent......

I do not resent that, *cheap* is good

Let them think what they like :wink:
softlips

Post by softlips »

Probably just over £3k with my new bike, clothes etc.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Gattonero wrote:You must be retired as you seem to have plenty of time in your hands. Everyone else has a job to do, and my point is "rather than spending 2 hours trying to fix a derelict freehub, chuck it in the spare parts box and make 2hrs overtime and buy a new one".

Clearly, you cannot understand what "derelict" means and make it for "adjusting freehubs" to turn an answer in your way.
No one here is saying to bin everything that stopped working, rather to make a judgment of "time vs money", when a £15 part that is on the last leg means that 2hrs overtime on minimum wage would buy a brand new part.
You can always dismantle that freehub on a later stage just for fun.

Seems someone touched a nerve here.

Glad you have a job that pays overtime - many of us, me included, get paid to do a job irrespective of the hours it takes, so can't just do an extra 2 hours overtime whenever it suits.

Tinkering for fun, whether it's cost effective or not, is something many get pleasure from. Not everything has to be justified in pounds and pence.