How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NUKe

Re: How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

Post by NUKe »

Too much as always,
Clothing 160 includes shorts sandals and helmet
tyres 100 but then I did by a stock o f spares in this
for the Hopper new brakes 180, flag and pole 29,
the rest is tools and sundries.
NUKe

Post by LollyKat »

itaa wrote:My daily driver is an old cheapo mtb and I was under the impression that riding a bike is totally free , Now that I look at my bike and see what I have done with it, it all adds up..
How much have you spent on your bike related stuff this year?

For me.
£23 New set of tyres
£17 Bike rack and 2 pannier bags
£16 Cold weather clothing garments
£23 a Nice front light+18650 batteries+charger + a nice rear light.
£3 new brake pads
£10 for small bits ( some reflective stickers/Bell/ oil /flashlight mount/bike pump)

Total £92 for just some mundane stuff I thought costs nothing.
I think I have used my bike maybe 100x this year,per usage cost..Not so free after all :D

To go back to the OP, most of these costs should be spread over several years:

£23 New set of tyres
- depending on how and where you ride, and how far, and the tyres themselves, they could last 2-3 years.
£17 Bike rack and 2 pannier bags - that is cheap for rack and bags if you bought new but even so should last for several years
£16 Cold weather clothing garments - ditto
£23 a Nice front light+18650 batteries+charger + a nice rear light - ditto
£10 for small bits ( some reflective stickers/Bell/ oil /flashlight mount/bike pump) - ditto
£3 new brake pads - these are probably the items that need replacing most frequently, but as you have found can be pretty cheap.

In future you'll need chains, cassettes and rings, but if you don't let the chain wear to much the cassettes and rings will last longer. Rims will need replacing at some point if you do't have disc brakes. Cycling isn't free but it is still cheap compared to the costs of running a car, particularly if you have to include parking charges. Cycling can save you time and will also improve your overall health - how much is that worth?
hondated

Post by hondated »

Graham wrote:
hondated wrote:
Graham wrote:Resolving the bottom-bracket threads on the Chas Roberts frame was a major factor ( £650 ) :

Given I ride a Roberts Graham anything I should look out for !

Not really. I ended up with a crossed thread, such that the bottom bracket was always slightly mis-aligned. It clicked.

The cheapo Kalloy seatpost also clicked, confounding diagnosis even more.

Definitely do NOT use unguided BB shell taps . . . . for that is what finally set the misalignment ( in steel ).

Thanks Graham I am shortly going to fit the Spa crank set and BB so I will now take extra care.
Last edited by hondated on 11 Dec 2017, 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Well less than a hundred squid, I think, which is nice :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Gattonero wrote:
Brucey wrote:The average retail cost of freehub body appears to be over £35 these days (an average taken of nearly forty bodies of all makes on sale by a well known retailer) . Only one cost £15 or less. You could easily waste half an hour or more deciding which one you are dealing with, and even then you might not get it right.

If it takes 2 hours to strip a freehub body, you want to get a wriggle on.

cheers

There are cheaper freehubs, and the average Joe does not take 15 minutes to do the job.
You've completely missed the point. You have some knowledge, don't spoil it with such statements.

FWIW I meant it in a "don't be daft" kind of a way.

Perhaps you are forgetting that you buy parts at trade prices and most folk (on this forum) don't.

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/c/917/Freehub-Bodies

from which I took my >£35 average, and just for shimano bodies

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-freehub-bodies/?order=price+ascending

in which retail prices range from £15 to £159. Again there is only one freehub body that is £15 or less. I have not worked out an average but I would be surprised if it is very much less than £30.

If a freehub body is relubed and reshimmed when it first starts to give any signs of trouble, the chances are excellent that it will outlast the rest of the wheel.

If a freehub body is reshimmed and relubed when it shows any signs of play (eg from new) it will last much longer than normal, not least because the seals won't be wearing abnormally fast due to movement and poor lube.

If you treat freehub bodies as a throwaway part, it guarantees that you will be throwing them away, in much, much, larger quantities than the re-shims/relubes that are otherwise required. Because the hub bearings are accessed at the same time and benefit similarly , the hubs last longer too. With practice a hub can be reshimmed, relubed and the main bearings serviced in about twenty minutes.

A typical example is as follows; a chum of mine rides a ten year old Moulton and the rear hub started to give trouble, mainly because water had got into the freehub bearings. It wasn't worth rebuilding the wheel onto a new hub because the rim was about half-worn; most bike shops would recommend a new wheel (that would not match the other one) in these circumstances. Now, it might be possible to buy the correct freehub body, (at vast expense, probably) for the Pashley branded (formula ?) hub, but a) the main hub bearings were not perfect, b) it would normally take a fair while to identify the correct freehub body and c) the blessed thing wouldn't come off anyway. It happens that I have a spare freehub body of the correct type, but the old one would not come off; it was too tight for the amount of leverage that I could apply on a 20" wheel. I quickly (as much as anything so that they were mobile that day) reshimmed and relubed the freehub body, explaining that the bearing surfaces were not good (so freewheeling would be a bit noisy) but that it would probably settle down over time. Probably the freehub body would need to be reshimmed again at some point, because it had been so bad that the bearing surfaces had worn to a new (wrong) shape that meant the contact when adjusted correctly would not be perfect. It was reported to me that the noisy freewheeling was not evident when actually riding the bike, and soon became a good deal quieter anyway. That was three years and thousands of miles ago. A few months ago I reshimmed the freehub body again; the main hub bearings had settled down and so had the freehub body. So for a total expenditure of about an hour's effort, the wheel will have another five or ten year's life, until the rim wears out, and the bike has not been off the road, or (at vast expense) fitted with mismatched wheels, either.

I could bore you with dozens of other examples of freehub body fixes that worked perfectly and saved someone a good deal of time and money.

But to assert that 'spending hours fixing a £15 part is not worth it' is just daft; it almost invariably isn't a £15 part, it doesn't take hours, and in many cases it most certainly is 'worth it'.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Even though I've spent probably close to £1000 over the year, the net cost is virtually nil. If I commute by bike, then I'm saving £4.50 a day on car parking plus petrol costs. So 4 commutes a week X 48 working weeks X 4.50 a day = £864 saved.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

"Man maths" :D
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Dollars = Pounds (Chinese keyboard)

Cane Creek 40 headset $35
Surly Ogre forks $75
Rose DT spokes & nipples $20
Exal XR2 rim $18
SP dynohub $60
2 front dynamo lights (AXA & B&M) $110
Rear dynamo light $20
2 second hand but new jackets (Buffalo & Mountain Gear) $80

That's about $420 at least........there is probably more that I can't remember. Around 3500 miles covered in 6 months (the other 6 months away at sea).

In comparison I spent more than that in one hit on my Zafira when the alternator died - just managed to drive it back to the front gate before it all packed in, they are heavy cars to drive without power assist steering.

I enjoyed the miles on the bikes a lot more!

All the best, Simon
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Oh handbags :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

TrevA wrote:Even though I've spent probably close to £1000 over the year, the net cost is virtually nil. If I commute by bike, then I'm saving £4.50 a day on car parking plus petrol costs. So 4 commutes a week X 48 working weeks X 4.50 a day = £864 saved.

Hope to read how someone had negative costs, got richer by cycling, belgiangoth too came close by selling bits

Until then I think I may claim to be the winner, see post above, I have spent €2,49 :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Over the last 12 years I have spent 7400 pounds on cycling this has saved me approximately 17000 on fuel. It does not include tyres servicing and all the other costs that go with 90000 miles of motoring. I have also saved another 24 k by not smoking over this period. I've only kept a spreadsheet since 2005 so don't know the previous years.
NUKe

Post by Sooper8 »

Over the last year, maybe £15. A tube, 2 bells, 4 brakes blocks and some repair glue.

I have a few bikes but never bought one new since 1982.

I buy almost everything second hand if I can.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

NUKe wrote:Over the last 12 years I have spent 7400 pounds on cycling this has saved me approximately 17000 on fuel. It does not include tyres servicing and all the other costs that go with 90000 miles of motoring. I have also saved another 24 k by not smoking over this period.

How much have you saved by not betting on greyhounds?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Samuel D wrote:
NUKe wrote:Over the last 12 years I have spent 7400 pounds on cycling this has saved me approximately 17000 on fuel. It does not include tyres servicing and all the other costs that go with 90000 miles of motoring. I have also saved another 24 k by not smoking over this period.

How much have you saved by not betting on greyhounds?

I only mentioned smoking because I used cycling as the way to give up, 13 years ago, promising myself a new bike and since then when ever I have been tempted to restart. I focussed on the results that I gained, not being hampered by carbon monoxide in the blood. I have never gambled on the dogs in my life, at least I didn't have that addiction.
Last edited by NUKe on 12 Dec 2017, 10:44am, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by Gattonero »

TrevA wrote:Even though I've spent probably close to £1000 over the year, the net cost is virtually nil. If I commute by bike, then I'm saving £4.50 a day on car parking plus petrol costs. So 4 commutes a week X 48 working weeks X 4.50 a day = £864 saved.

Good thought.
I should think about how much I am saving when using the humble Brommy, I can cycle down the hill to a station in Zone3 and get off at Zone2, it makes the price of the journey almost half of the original Zone4 to Zone1! I think the Brompton almost paid itself already 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...