26" wheels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gezzie72

26" wheels

Post by gezzie72 »

Hi all

I have Magnesium Alloy wheels with 6 spokes on my bike with disc brakes and road type mountain bike tyres, the grip isnt ideal. I want to have a spare set with chunky grip tyres for winter use. My question is would it be a straight swap or would i have to play around with the rear gears every time i swap them over?
Gattonero

Re: 26" wheels

Post by Gattonero »

"road type mountain bike tyres"
what's that? It sound like some strange setup?

As far as the gears, it depends on the hub the way it will position the cassette sprockets in respect of the rear derailleur: most hubs would stay within a close range but some may keep the sprockets a bit more inwards (to the middle of the hub) or outwards (to the dropout).
You can only try and see how it works between the two hubs of choice, the adjustments are going to be small anyway.
If you are to know what hub you are running at the moment, you can find a similar one, though it sound like you have a "monolithic" wheel?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if they are truly magnesium alloy, I would not recommend you using them in the wintertime regardless of the tyres fitted; the road salt will cause terrible corrosion in them.

To get it so that you can swap wheels without having to adjust the gears is possible, with care; the exact spacing of most hubs can be adjusted using washers and within 0.5mm is good enough for the gears.

There is a much more annoying problem with disc brakes though; here the spacing usually needs to be accurate to within a smaller fraction of a mm if the brakes are not to rub. I have found that even with the exact same model of hub (fitted with cartridge bearings) the alignment is different between two notionally identical wheelsets.

Tougher tyres for winter are a good idea; there is plenty of choice depending on your exact needs.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gezzie72

Post by gezzie72 »

thanks guys