Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Thornyone

Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Post by Thornyone »

Not sure if this belongs in this section. Aside from cold feet and hands, scarlet cheeks and a permanent nose dribble which is wiped on the back of my glove (sorry!) there is the male-specific issue that another part of the anatomy suffers cruelly on cold rides. I know from an aside in Wainwright’s “Pennine Way Companion” that he was a fellow sufferer. My problem: by Sod’s law, winter not only greatly increases my need, dog-like, to stop at almost every lamp post (9 times on a recent ride, I think), but the lack of foliage makes such stops rather problematic. And then to compound matters, things almost reach (or should I say, diminish to) the proportion that an emergency kit of magnifying glass and tweezers is required to facilitate what would ordinarily be accomplished without difficulty. Never mind electric bikes, I need battery-heated underpants. Has anyone found a solution (other than staying home with a bottle of port, which is what I think I’ll do today, with the howling wind blowing the snow) :mrgreen:
mjr

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Post by mjr »

What are you currently wearing? The oft-suggested padded tights with nothing under? Have you tried Thermal trousers and warm undies? Personally, Rohan Winter Strongholds are more than warm enough (I can't wear them indoors for long and was a bit too warm cycling at 1°c in them yesterday) but I could add some Crivit thermal leggings and On-one mid-leg trunks which I usually use under other clothes, although I'd melt unless it was seriously cold!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

mjr wrote:What are you currently wearing? The oft-suggested padded tights with nothing under? Have you tried Thermal trousers and warm undies? Personally, Rohan Winter Strongholds are more than warm enough (I can't wear them indoors for long and was a bit too warm cycling at 1°c in them yesterday) but I could add some Crivit thermal leggings and On-one mid-leg trunks which I usually use under other clothes, although I'd melt unless it was seriously cold!

Thanks, your suggestions certainly sound worth following up. Not being personal, but would you have my problem without them? I only ask because I’m not sure whether all blokes have the issue, but if you do and your suggested gear works for you, that would be very encouraging :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Gore Windstopper undershorts. Windstopper on the front only so does not restrict wind from behind :lol: Or cycling tights with Windstopper panels plus of course shorts underneath. I bought some Windstopper undies about 15 years ago after an exceptionally cold ride, but have yet to use them so cannot comment on effectivity. I use a piece of string in place of tweezers, being easier to handle.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

tatanab wrote:Gore Windstopper undershorts. Windstopper on the front only so does not restrict wind from behind :lol: Or cycling tights with Windstopper panels plus of course shorts underneath. I bought some Windstopper undies about 15 years ago after an exceptionally cold ride, but have yet to use them so cannot comment on effectivity. I use a piece of string in place of tweezers, being easier to handle.

Thanks for that. I didn’t know that it was possible to get Windstopper undershorts, but my North Face Windstopper gloves are certainly a Godsend. As for string, O K if shrinkage doesn’t mean it simply slips off when pulled :mrgreen:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I suffer too, so I wear a pair of padded lycra cycling shorts under my padded longs when it's cold.
Double wrapped to keep the flavour in. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Electrically heated underpants? Why does the expression two fried eggs and a well done sausage come to mind?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Mick F wrote:I suffer too, so I wear a pair of padded lycra cycling shorts under my padded longs when it's cold.
Double wrapped to keep the flavour in. :wink:

Like it :mrgreen:
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

pete75 wrote:Electrically heated underpants? Why does the expression two fried eggs and a well done sausage come to mind?

Much preferable to two beech nuts and a mealworm! :mrgreen:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Before discovering and being able to thoyle Chapak Windstopper-faced tights (I think they have gone bust) I used to have a piece of breathable fabric cut from the sleeve of an anorak which I simply tucked down the front of whatever trousers I was wearing on brass-monkey days. (I used to use a larger rectangle cut from the back of the same jacket as a chest protector.) A newspaper will do just as well as a chest protector but might get some funny looks down your trousers. :shock: I've never tried but in an emergency, a plastic carrier or similar would do, flattened out to keep the cold out.
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

Despite your advice, Thornyone, I have had to read all the posts and you’ve made this lady smile (and laugh) :D :lol: this morning!
I look forward to reading more comments.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Thornyone wrote:
pete75 wrote:Electrically heated underpants? Why does the expression two fried eggs and a well done sausage come to mind?

Much preferable to two beech nuts and a mealworm! :mrgreen:

:D :lol:
jim288

Post by jim288 »

Try Thermajock on Google search.

That may be what you need.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The solution .... A heated saddle activated only when you sit on it and powered by a high capacity lithium battery. You could also have a heated floppy tab on the front secured by velcro around your nether regions.

Simples! :lol:

Next move - Crowdfunding!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......