Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Thornyone
Posts: 350
Joined: 7 Dec 2017, 11:15am

Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby Thornyone » 11 Dec 2017, 9:28am

Not sure if this belongs in this section. Aside from cold feet and hands, scarlet cheeks and a permanent nose dribble which is wiped on the back of my glove (sorry!) there is the male-specific issue that another part of the anatomy suffers cruelly on cold rides. I know from an aside in Wainwright’s “Pennine Way Companion” that he was a fellow sufferer. My problem: by Sod’s law, winter not only greatly increases my need, dog-like, to stop at almost every lamp post (9 times on a recent ride, I think), but the lack of foliage makes such stops rather problematic. And then to compound matters, things almost reach (or should I say, diminish to) the proportion that an emergency kit of magnifying glass and tweezers is required to facilitate what would ordinarily be accomplished without difficulty. Never mind electric bikes, I need battery-heated underpants. Has anyone found a solution (other than staying home with a bottle of port, which is what I think I’ll do today, with the howling wind blowing the snow) :mrgreen:

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 12894
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby mjr » 11 Dec 2017, 9:36am

What are you currently wearing? The oft-suggested padded tights with nothing under? Have you tried Thermal trousers and warm undies? Personally, Rohan Winter Strongholds are more than warm enough (I can't wear them indoors for long and was a bit too warm cycling at 1°c in them yesterday) but I could add some Crivit thermal leggings and On-one mid-leg trunks which I usually use under other clothes, although I'd melt unless it was seriously cold!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Thornyone
Posts: 350
Joined: 7 Dec 2017, 11:15am

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby Thornyone » 11 Dec 2017, 9:42am

mjr wrote:What are you currently wearing? The oft-suggested padded tights with nothing under? Have you tried Thermal trousers and warm undies? Personally, Rohan Winter Strongholds are more than warm enough (I can't wear them indoors for long and was a bit too warm cycling at 1°c in them yesterday) but I could add some Crivit thermal leggings and On-one mid-leg trunks which I usually use under other clothes, although I'd melt unless it was seriously cold!


Thanks, your suggestions certainly sound worth following up. Not being personal, but would you have my problem without them? I only ask because I’m not sure whether all blokes have the issue, but if you do and your suggested gear works for you, that would be very encouraging :D

tatanab
Posts: 3676
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby tatanab » 11 Dec 2017, 9:46am

Gore Windstopper undershorts. Windstopper on the front only so does not restrict wind from behind :lol: Or cycling tights with Windstopper panels plus of course shorts underneath. I bought some Windstopper undies about 15 years ago after an exceptionally cold ride, but have yet to use them so cannot comment on effectivity. I use a piece of string in place of tweezers, being easier to handle.

Thornyone
Posts: 350
Joined: 7 Dec 2017, 11:15am

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby Thornyone » 11 Dec 2017, 9:55am

tatanab wrote:Gore Windstopper undershorts. Windstopper on the front only so does not restrict wind from behind :lol: Or cycling tights with Windstopper panels plus of course shorts underneath. I bought some Windstopper undies about 15 years ago after an exceptionally cold ride, but have yet to use them so cannot comment on effectivity. I use a piece of string in place of tweezers, being easier to handle.

Thanks for that. I didn’t know that it was possible to get Windstopper undershorts, but my North Face Windstopper gloves are certainly a Godsend. As for string, O K if shrinkage doesn’t mean it simply slips off when pulled :mrgreen:

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45211
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby Mick F » 11 Dec 2017, 10:32am

I suffer too, so I wear a pair of padded lycra cycling shorts under my padded longs when it's cold.
Double wrapped to keep the flavour in. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

pete75
Posts: 11051
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby pete75 » 11 Dec 2017, 10:39am

Electrically heated underpants? Why does the expression two fried eggs and a well done sausage come to mind?

Thornyone
Posts: 350
Joined: 7 Dec 2017, 11:15am

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby Thornyone » 11 Dec 2017, 10:41am

Mick F wrote:I suffer too, so I wear a pair of padded lycra cycling shorts under my padded longs when it's cold.
Double wrapped to keep the flavour in. :wink:

Like it :mrgreen:

Thornyone
Posts: 350
Joined: 7 Dec 2017, 11:15am

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby Thornyone » 11 Dec 2017, 10:44am

pete75 wrote:Electrically heated underpants? Why does the expression two fried eggs and a well done sausage come to mind?

Much preferable to two beech nuts and a mealworm! :mrgreen:

thirdcrank
Posts: 28647
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby thirdcrank » 11 Dec 2017, 10:45am

Before discovering and being able to thoyle Chapak Windstopper-faced tights (I think they have gone bust) I used to have a piece of breathable fabric cut from the sleeve of an anorak which I simply tucked down the front of whatever trousers I was wearing on brass-monkey days. (I used to use a larger rectangle cut from the back of the same jacket as a chest protector.) A newspaper will do just as well as a chest protector but might get some funny looks down your trousers. :shock: I've never tried but in an emergency, a plastic carrier or similar would do, flattened out to keep the cold out.

Lilyf
Posts: 55
Joined: 26 Feb 2016, 4:12pm

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby Lilyf » 11 Dec 2017, 11:27am

Despite your advice, Thornyone, I have had to read all the posts and you’ve made this lady smile (and laugh) :D :lol: this morning!
I look forward to reading more comments.

geocycle
Posts: 1646
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 9:46am

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby geocycle » 11 Dec 2017, 11:36am

Thornyone wrote:
pete75 wrote:Electrically heated underpants? Why does the expression two fried eggs and a well done sausage come to mind?

Much preferable to two beech nuts and a mealworm! :mrgreen:


:D :lol:

Norman H
Posts: 812
Joined: 31 Jul 2011, 4:39pm

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby Norman H » 11 Dec 2017, 11:40am


jim288
Posts: 12
Joined: 6 Dec 2016, 4:10pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby jim288 » 11 Dec 2017, 12:20pm

Try Thermajock on Google search.

That may be what you need.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7363
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Where pasties are crimped at the top!
Contact:

Re: Electrically-heated underpants (Women need not read this)

Postby al_yrpal » 11 Dec 2017, 12:21pm

The solution .... A heated saddle activated only when you sit on it and powered by a high capacity lithium battery. You could also have a heated floppy tab on the front secured by velcro around your nether regions.

Simples! :lol:

Next move - Crowdfunding!


Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!