What do you want for Christmas?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cycling UK Publicity

What do you want for Christmas?

Post by Cycling UK Publicity »

Hi everyone!

I would love to know if there are any items you've found throughout your time as a cyclist that you'd buy over and over again - something you'd really appreciate as a Christmas present, or would definitely buy for another cyclist?

Basically - what do you want for Christmas?

Asking for a potential Christmas article for the Cycling UK website...

Thanks all! :D

Nat Parsons
PH

Re: What do you want for Christmas?

Post by PH »

Some above freezing weather to get some miles in, hopefully enough of it to complete a Festive 500
https://pages.rapha.cc/feature/festive-500
Graham

Post by Graham »

A 25 Kg sack of Organic Oat Groats.

These I can mill, in my kitchen, to produce top-quality porridge.
See numerous other porridge topics on this forum.

PS. I am currently annoyed with my usual groat supplier, so no business with them for a few months. The standard supermarket stuff is pretty tasteless.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

+99!
Where do the groats come from?
Ideally one should have several suppliers
How long may one store them, how long does a 25kg sack last?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cycling UK Publicity

Post by Cycling UK Publicity »

Graham wrote:A 25 Kg sack of Organic Oat Groats.

These I can mill, in my kitchen, to produce top-quality porridge.
See numerous other porridge topics on this forum.

PS. I am currently annoyed with my usual groat supplier, so no business with them for a few months. The standard supermarket stuff is pretty tasteless.

https://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/717 ... oats-whole There's free UK delivery over £29 here...

Are there other items other than excellent porridge you'd like for Christmas?

Nat
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks you for your diligent research. The organic ones are a bit more expensive, but not a bad deal @ £32.14 incl delivery.

Cycling UK Publicity wrote:Are there other items other than excellent porridge you'd like for Christmas? Nat

After some further thought. I would like a recumbent trike with electric assist.
Last edited by Graham on 14 Dec 2017, 9:13am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed mind
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cycling UK Publicity wrote:I would love to know if there are any items you've found throughout your time as a cyclist that you'd buy over and over again - something you'd really appreciate as a Christmas present, or would definitely buy for another cyclist?

Almost anything Park Tool relevant for their bike and the work they do, starting from the great tyre levers with the little ridges/dents and the instant patches upwards.

Neck tube (buff and their clones) which are really versatile, either plain or part-fleece.

BPA-free water bottles with a lid so they're not drinking cow chutney on country road rides in winter.

Dry bags. Even if their panniers or saddlebag are waterproof or already have covers, dry bags can be pretty useful to organise the contents.

Packable rucksacks - ideal for when the shopping on the way home from a ride unexpectedly needs a bit more space than you had left on the bike. Packable rain jackets are also good but maybe not for Christmas because it'll probably be months before a lightweight jacket is useful.

Bigger present ideas are probably best done by either asking the cyclist or knowing their bike and style. There's enough variation that it's easy to buy something useless for a certain bike or type of cycling.

Cycling UK Publicity wrote:Asking for a potential Christmas article for the Cycling UK website...

As it's Christmas and you posted a reply, you can use them if you give credit, rather than my usual CC-By-SA terms. :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oh and studded tyres. I've just ordered myself an early Christmas present because I can't always borrow the little MTB that has them on. They are astonishing and discussed in the "Hard Times" thread on here.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A time machine :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

A house at the bottom of the hill so that I can ride fixed just a few times more before it's all over.....
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Retirement would be nice but a few days off will have to do.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Graham wrote:A 25 Kg sack of Organic Oat Groats. ...

Excuse the thread drift but that's a new one on me so I had to look it up. As a primary school child around 1950, finding out the meaning of this word was one of my first bits of homework. My correct answer of an old coin worth fourpence was the only one and later earned me a comment in my school report "Michael astounds the class with his general knowledge" often repeated with pride by my mother. That's probably why I remember, although we may have had the only dictionary in Armley with somebody willing and able to read it.

any of various medieval European coins, in particular an English silver coin worth four old pence, issued between 1351 and 1662.
OED

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/groat

I now learn this from Merriam Webster:-
1 usually plural in form but singular or plural in construction : hulled grain broken into fragments larger than grits
2 : a grain (as of oats) exclusive of the hull

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/groat

Why does any of this matter? From some sort of pop-up on that MW page
You're never too cool to learn something new.

:D
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Another lowe alpine polartec base layer.I,ve had mine for 20odd years ,easily my best bit of winter kit which has shrunk a bit.No wear,zip still good, amazing.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Another year being able to ride the same distances without having to get the electric bike catalogues out.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Brush-cutter and a new chainsaw.
Have we got time for another cuppa?