oily rag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Roadster

Re: oily rag

Post by Roadster »

I see your problem, mnichols, but those of us who've spent literally years developing our oily rags are understandably loath to part with them. Besides, they only work when one creates them oneself.
I suggest starting one of your own with the tattiest old t-shirt you can lay yours hands on, applying a maintenance spray and then gently rubbing off some light soiling from the frame in question. Gradually increase the viscosity of the oil and the depth and extent of the soiling over the following months, shaking out particulate matter after every use. Keep on doing that until your hands and forearms are completely covered with dermatitis - always a sure sign of progress.
Time soon slips away and before you know it, you'll have an oily rag to call your own!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I cannae thoyle paying anything for rags

Old underwear serves very well, but what happened in the golden age of steam?
Cleaning a Spamcan would use a lot of material
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've often wondered what it takes to be recognised as a 'proper' cyclist: win a few races? do an end to end? Cycle 25 miles in a hour? A century? A double century?
A triple century? Complete a long self supported tour in a far off land? 10,000 miles in a year? Strip and rebuild a bike blind folded before a cup of tea goes cold?

It seems the real answer is the ownership of an oily rag

So, I've started mine. How about a few tips for a newbie? I don't want to get 5 years into this project and find out I'm doing it wrong