Thorn resistant tyres?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Thorn resistant tyres?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Be prepared :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

mattsccm wrote:Tubeless. Not a universal cure but it usually solves thorn based deflations. Flint catchers occasionally help.
Tubeless...solved the problem for me.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

no tyre is thorn proof IF the thorn dont break and the tyre is not thick enough to take the whole length? Rear m/c tyres just about survive sharp objects when new due to their thickness.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Depends on the type of thorn. Hawthorn isn't too bad and tyres with decent puncture protection ought to keep them out. Blackthorn is a different matter altogether. I don't think any tyres that's inflatable and light enough to use on a bicycle would resist it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Were talking a whole new thorn now. Blackthorn
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I picked this thorn up on a 40 mile circular ride earlier in the year, either after ten miles or thirty odd miles of riding with it in my tyre.
When I got home I noticed what I thought was a bit of twig on my back tyre, and it wasn’t until I tried to brush it off that I heard the sound of air escaping, until then it appeared to be fully inflated.
The tyres were newish Schwalbe Big Ben’s with greenguard, so don’t think any tyre can be thorn proof.
As it didn’t deflate until I reached home I suppose that’s a bonus.
Beauty will save the world.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Vetus Ossa wrote:I picked this thorn up on a 40 mile circular ride earlier in the year, either after ten miles or thirty odd miles of riding with it in my tyre.
When I got home I noticed what I thought was a bit of twig on my back tyre, and it wasn’t until I tried to brush it off that I heard the sound of air escaping, until then it appeared to be fully inflated.
The tyres were newish Schwalbe Big Ben’s with greenguard, so don’t think any tyre can be thorn proof.
As it didn’t deflate until I reached home I suppose that’s a bonus.

Same thing happened to me earlier this year; 5 miles from home thorn stuck clean though the sidewall of a Bontrager R3
I could hear clicking sounds every wheel revolution as it touched the brake calliper,
but at least it's good to get home without a flat :D

rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Worst punctureI ever had was just after I took up cycling (again!) in my early 40's - bought one of them new-fangled mountain bikes and went for a ride along some bridleways near Feckenham. Got the bike out of the car, but left puncture repair stuff in it, took just a pump strapped to the top tube.

Stooped to get out of a field - went to open the filed gate to go through, and heard a bubbling sound. Looked down, the wheels were sitting in a big muddy puddle, with bubbles coming from them! Looked aroud - I had ridden around the edge of the field, following hoof marks, alongside a newly-trimmed thorn hedge!

Managed to get back to the car with lots of furious pumping. When I took the tubes out, I managed to pull about 10 throrns out of one tyre and about 15 out of the other! And there was me thinking the new-fangled chunky mountain bike tyres were tougher :shock:
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
PRL

Post by PRL »

rmurphy195 wrote:And there was me thinking the new-fangled chunky mountain bike tyres were tougher :shock:

I discovered the error of that thinking some years ago on a bridlepath just as the sun was setting. The rubber is pretty thin between the chunks isn't it ? :oops:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

nick12 wrote:Were talking a whole new thorn now. Blackthorn

Well it's the worst by far and there's blackthorn in a lot of field hedges.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Might as well be a nail.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Scunnered wrote:Another puncture this week, hawthorn again. When the hedges get trimmed, all the trimmings get left on the road/path :evil:

Any recomendations for thorn resistant tyres that are not too sluggish and don't cost a fortune, 32mm wide?

That's where Tubeless shines.
Or just get those Geax Kevlar strips
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Debs

Post by Debs »

Sweep thorns, glass, nails, flints out of your path - as you ride on a broomocycle! :D

Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

yostumpy wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
yostumpy wrote:700 x 32 greenguards £16.00 ea (post free for 2) at Ribble., Just bought some, 10 mins ago. :wink:

I am using 35mm folding supremes, bt they are a wee bit slippy in the skog and no good at all for mild ruff stuff when its wet. so the greenguards are for winter fitment.

Mind you, 700c slime tubes are £6 ish at Wilkos

What is skog? I want to add it to my vocab thread
Merci

'skoggy mess' a sort of filthy thick grime encrusted organic matter, that lives mostly at the side of the road this time of year, where one is forced to cycle.

I don't know if it your use somehow derived from this but 'skog' is Swedish for forest.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

......."and at the bottom of the forest, on the wet,well used tracks, there appeared to be a Skoggy mess"....:)