points of interest for visiting cyclist?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sfguy2007

points of interest for visiting cyclist?

Post by sfguy2007 »

Hello cyclists. I'm going to be visiting England and Scotland from California in a couple weeks to run the London marathon. I'm a cyclist and would like to visit any nice cycling museums, special bike shops, or other points of interest to cyclists.

In addition to London, we are planning to go to Bath, York, and Edinburgh, but are flexible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I understand that the Raleigh factory in Nottingham is now closed.
meic

Post by meic »

Pity that your tour only includes England and Scotland
This means you will miss out on the National Cycle Museum in Llandrindod Wells (Wales).
sfguy2007

Post by sfguy2007 »

I noticed the National Cycle Museum when I did a search on the internet. We may detour to see it unless we can find some other places to visit.

Thanks.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ACT

It's hard to point you towards bike shops without knowing your particular interests. The link is to one of the main trade associations for bike shops and many show details of how to find them.
sfguy2007

Post by sfguy2007 »

Thanks thirdcrank. I'm primarily interested in cycling as transportation, e.g., touring and commuting, and the history of cycling.
meic

Post by meic »

I dont know if the Raleigh factory is actually closed and demolished. It was still there and operating as a wharehouse after the production moved overseas. I used to make and deliver transfers to the factory at the time.
15 years ago now.

Have you ever read any of Alan Silitoe's books with his main character working there?
sfguy2007

Post by sfguy2007 »

I was wondering if there was anything left at the Raleigh plant, like maybe a museum.

I haven't read any of Silitoe's books. Good?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

There's also the Museum of British Road Transport at Coventry which has a good cycling dedicated area, tracing the development of the bike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Museum of science and industry in Manchester.
DavidT

Raleigh bikes

Post by DavidT »

Re: Raleigh bikes

There is a collection of Raleigh bikes at the Nottingham City Council Museum at Wollaton Hall (pronounced Wool-aton). The hall, grounds and other aspects of the "industrial museum" are in any case worth a visit if you are in Nottingham.

However the museums mentioned by other contributors will be more significant. I'd check the Wollaton collection by e mail/phone before making a special trip.

Wollaton Hall/Park is a public access city park actually located only a mile or so from the original Raleigh factory, to the west of the city centre. It is well served with cycle tracks as are the adjacent main roads. The factory has been demolished with (student?) flats now occupying the space. Raleigh are now based at Eastwood just outside Nottingham although this is no doubt just a design, sales and marketing office?

Hope this helps.
byegad

Post by byegad »

York's Cycling Heaven should be on your list. Beware they take money from me whenever I visit!
mankymitts

Post by mankymitts »

The Museum of Transport in Glasgow is worth a visit. There are some intererseting historic bikes there along with loads of other stuff. I am sure Graeme Obree's "Old Faithfull" is either there or in the Science Centre in Glasgow. It is easy to get from one museum to the other.

MM
sfguy2007

Post by sfguy2007 »

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone. It looks like there are some interesting places close to our planned route. I'm still tempted to go to Wales though.

Very sad about the Raleigh plant. Wish I had made this trip about 10 years ago.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Going back about 20 years I was working in Harlow. One wet afternoon I did a bunk and followed the signs to a "museum of cycling" - cant recall the precise title. Spent a good couple of hours there.
Does anyone know if it is still there?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

As well as teaching the Americans a thing or two about places of interest for cyclists, I'm learning a lot from you all as well.

Is there a national map showing the wherabouts of these pilgrimage sites?

If you chaps from America haven't been to York before, there's such a lot to see there, cycling or not.

I hope you have a good visit.